• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (8 Viewers)

The two summer plumage Med Gulls looking splendid on island number one in front of the family hide this morning at Old Moor. Looking rather settled.

It was still worth the drive. A Hobby over the Old Moor car park showed well, before we set off for the Savi's.

Also, the crowd was well behaved and in good spirits despite such poor/non-existent views.

I was one of the lucky ones that had a very brief view of the bird in the bottom of the hawthorn. Unfortunately I only saw it for a couple of seconds and I did not see it sing.

I will probably end up not ticking the bird, as there were other birds in the reed bed including a Reed Warbler or two.

I would be interested to know if anyone else saw the bird when it was in the reeds at the bottom left of the hawthorn (near the fence post), just before it flew back into its original area.

I think some people left thinking they had seen the Savi's when in fact it was a Reed Warbler that had shown briefly at the back of the reeds.
I'll be trying my luck again tomorrow morning.

I think some people left thinking they had seen the Savi's when in fact it was a Reed Warbler that had shown briefly at the back of the reeds.
I'll be trying my luck again tomorrow morning.

Yes, I saw that Reed Warbler too. The one I'm talking about was later on. It flew into the large clump of hawthorn, sang (out of view). The bird (or a RW) appeared in bottom corner, before vanishing again. The Savi's started singing again seconds later down the ditch.

I guess I'll never know for sure.

Good luck in the morning.

Yes, I saw that Reed Warbler too. The one I'm talking about was later on. It flew into the large clump of hawthorn, sang (out of view). The bird (or a RW) appeared in bottom corner, before vanishing again. The Savi's started singing again seconds later down the ditch.

I guess I'll never know for sure.

Good luck in the morning.

I know where you mean started looking in this area later on,was talking to a guy who had seen the bird in the area you are talking about.
Going to go tonight instead weather not looking goog tomorrow

Got the Savi's tonight. It was a bit quiet 8-9 but perked up after. Had a couple of glimpses as it flashed between reeds but it took an hour and a half before it finally showed itself singing - albeit it breifly and very low down. Hope others were successful. I'll take great pleasure in not having to put my alarm on to go to the 5am viewing!

Flamborough

female red backed shrike in the gorse field up at the lighthouse this evening, 1 if not 2 singing rosefinches up at the coastguard cottages at 5 am, and old fall steps at 6am this morning,
101e1024.jpg

Is special access required to see the Savi's out of hours? Was going to try this morning but would have meant a 3am departure. Plus weather forecast today is heavy rain.

Hope to visit this bank hols if access is arranged late evening again.

I saw this story and it made me think, what are these nets set for, if the aim was eels then i can see the value but general course fish and the location of them. Its a fare carry with the catch and cars accessing this area are very noticable.
Have the guys birding this area stopped going as much, they would be our best hope to stop a repeat of this in this area.

Is spurn worth a visit, thinking of going to get little tern and i was wondering if there was owt else hanging around, i know theres a glaucous gull in the area but don't know where

The Savi's showed well this morning. For anyone still thinking of going you will have more chance of seeing it first thing in the morning rather than the evening. I believe they will be opening up at 6am tomorrow.

A big thank you to the Old Moor staff who allowed out of hours access.

The Savi's showed well this morning. For anyone still thinking of going you will have more chance of seeing it first thing in the morning rather than the evening. I believe they will be opening up at 6am tomorrow.

Seconded: but, do check about opening times. When I spoke to the Warden this morning he was thinking that maybe he'd leave it til 6 tomorrow....

Saw the bird last night a couple of times but not great views will go tomorrow morning if they are opening.

Seconded: but, do check about opening times. When I spoke to the Warden this morning he was thinking that maybe he'd leave it til 6 tomorrow....

Err, thirded (?). A big thanks to the warden for opening the reserve so early this morning, and for pointing Savi out almost as soon as we'd all got to the site while many were struggling to get onto it.

Also, thanks to the guy who had a great view of it singing in his scope and shared the view with anyone who wanted it.

For what it's worth to anyone else thinking of going, I got a few pretty good views this morning, and the best ones were earlier on, not long after we all arrived (around 05:30ish). I left at 06:45, so good views may have been had later too.

Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back