• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (4 Viewers)

No Pine Siskins in our yards now but saw scores at a local forest on Sunday. Our N Cardinals and House Finches are feeding each other frequently.
The college is quiet except that Black-bellied Whistling Ducks have arrived en masse, hopefully preparatory to nesting on our ponds again.n Several pairs of Purple Martins are now occupying the martin houses.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

I have around 14 Tree Sparrows plus 4 Chaffinch and 2 yellow Hammers also 2 Goldfinches all feeding, i've not seen anything on my niger feeder but it's going down, so something is eating it.

Have any of you noticed that there is a lull in the feeding for a few hours in the afternoon, The Birds just dissapear.

very quiet here,just the same goldfinches,greenfinches,chaffinches,sparrows,blackbirds,blue,coal,and great tits in numbers,nice and warm though with plenty of sun.:t:

Have any of you noticed that there is a lull in the feeding for a few hours in the afternoon, The Birds just dissapear.

Most of our birds are pretty regular/predictable in their feeding habits:
Breakfast at 8:30-9:00
Lunch at 12:30-1:00
Dinner at 5:00-6:00.

Of course, a few hungry individuals pop in for a snack between meal times - and many of our House Finches just munch away throughout the day.

Jeff

Hi everyone, wll Iv managed to get my feeding area set up, but my wife has bought me a couple of owl figures in what seems life size. Would these scare smaller birds away from the feeders if They are stood on the ground? Thanks.

Hi everyone, wll Iv managed to get my feeding area set up, but my wife has bought me a couple of owl figures in what seems life size. Would these scare smaller birds away from the feeders if They are stood on the ground? Thanks.

I think they would Colin

I would put them somewhere out of the way for now and get your feeding station established with regular visiting birds first.

Dave

I think it a SUPER clear image earleybird. I'd LOVE to see a GSW (Great Spotted Woodpecker). We have some small breeding migrants here now in Ireland, which is amazing. First time in over 150 years. Apparently we have some at our local park, i still haven't seen one. I know they are very,very hard to spot, maybe a lot easier to hear i dare say!.

Last edited:
Its the first time Iv seen birds in my garden this morning. The nicest surprise was a robin sat on the fence next to the feeders, a few tree or house sparrows too, Ill have to put my bino's on the window sill so I can see which ones. Strangely they didnt go near the feeders? Also a female blackbird who bounced about on the freshly laid bark on the ground, now and then flicking the bark with its beak. I wonder if anyone knows why? Then it sat on the fence ,again not going to the feeders feet away? I have nuts in one feeder, mixed seed in another, and fatballs.

Its the first time Iv seen birds in my garden this morning. The nicest surprise was a robin sat on the fence next to the feeders, a few tree or house sparrows too, Ill have to put my bino's on the window sill so I can see which ones. Strangely they didnt go near the feeders? Also a female blackbird who bounced about on the freshly laid bark on the ground, now and then flicking the bark with its beak. I wonder if anyone knows why? Then it sat on the fence ,again not going to the feeders feet away? I have nuts in one feeder, mixed seed in another, and fatballs.

Ah you see... its all happening.
Watching the garden can be very rewarding and it is litteraly birdwatching so you can get to study their behaviours.

The Blackbirds prefere to search for worms, snails and bugs, so they forage in bark and leaf litter etc.

For the extra rewards in the garden I would advise getting a small nyger seed feeder... guaranteed Goldfinch

Enjoy :t:

Last edited:
I think it a SUPER clear image earleybird. I'd LOVE to see a GSW (Great Spotted Woodpecker). We have some small breeding migrants here now in Ireland, which is amazing. First time in over 150 years. Apparently we have some at our local park, i still haven't seen one. I know they are very,very hard to spot, maybe a lot easier to hear i dare say!.

Thank you optiman
Once you have established a regular supply of suet block the woodpeckers will soon find you. The problem is keeping the suet blocks stocked up is expensive when starlings, jackdaws and squirrels all seem to make it their mission in life to eat the blocks .:C

We are lucky to be situated in the middle of a very mixed rural location with lots of trees a birch wood next door and a sizeable river to boot.

Just saw the GSW hiding behind the bole of the tree. Rushed to get my camera and by the time I'd switched on he'd gone. He climbed the whole height of the tree a (about 4 metres) before flying from the highest twigs . Fascinating bird to watch.

Our feeders seem busier than ever and we had a male siskin this morning. He was beautiful and a first for our garden:t:

a couple of hours after you saw yours guess what I saw in our garden for the first time in weeks !...?
Spooky eh?:eek!:

Attachments

• siskin crop.jpg
    siskin crop.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 45
Not been able to come on the thread much due to a computer breakdown but I am now catching up and waht difference a couple of weeks make.

Have got 4 Redpolls now coming which are the same pale colour as BFB`s so that makes them Mealies?

The Jackdaws are decimating my suet blocks that are out.

Peanuts have gone fairly quite as have the suet pellets but the seed, Sunflower hearts and Nyjer are going like hot cakes.

I had a Pied Flycatcher a couple of years ago briefly, never been back.

Keep the pics coming I love to see them.

Not been able to come on the thread much due to a computer breakdown but I am now catching up and waht difference a couple of weeks make.

Have got 4 Redpolls now coming which are the same pale colour as BFB`s so that makes them Mealies?

The Jackdaws are decimating my suet blocks that are out.

Peanuts have gone fairly quite as have the suet pellets but the seed, Sunflower hearts and Nyjer are going like hot cakes.

I had a Pied Flycatcher a couple of years ago briefly, never been back.

Keep the pics coming I love to see them.

sorry to hear that spinneygal.
have you got your pc problem fixed yet ? i have loads of unused pc's and laptops and computer bits and software sitting about and a fair bit of expertise too;)

Thanks for the offer EB but it is my work computer and hopefully it is now sorted, although I am not 100% convinced yet. I have had to reinstall everything again.

I'm getting more variety now. Sparrows are still the most common followed by titmouse and Juncos and cardinals but the common grackle's are on the ground below now and I saw my first brown headed cowbird (male). We still get downie woodpeckers and blue jays. Reminds me time to refresh to suet.

A red squirrel has learned how to get on the feeder without putting his weight fully on the perch. He comes every morning for breakfast. He is not ruining it and he's a small guy so I have not done anything to readjust the weight balance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back