• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbird monograph sponsorship opportunity...anyone? (1 Viewer)

birdboybowley

Well-known member.....apparently so ;)
England
Hey all

Just a shot in the dark here but I have approached Princeton Uni Press with the idea of producing a family monograph on hummers and the editor is interested...which is always the first hurdle! I'm up for doing the illustrations obviously but need an author. Does anyone know of any crazy such person that would entertain this idea? The book would (hopefully) run in the format of Helm monographs, with plates, individual text and (even more hopefully) photos at the back....Helm in the UK are weirdly ambivalent about making such a book - their loss, as I think it would sell in droves...especially when looking at how similar books about less widely-appreciated families sell. There is no comprehensive book containing all the hummers of the world - except HBW, which, by its very nature cannot be overly detailed.
Yes, the end product would not be cheap but, again, as HBW has proved, people (esp birders!!) will spend money on a quality product.
So, if anyone has a bright idea, please let me know

Cheers
Ads

Helm editors probably ambivalent cos they know that one if not two hummingbird photographic guides are in production, which will in all likelihood reach publication first. (Mind you PUP should be aware of that too, but perhaps not.)

Yeah they are Guy, but photo guides still are no match for an illustrated guide. Helm have been ambivalent for the past 10yrs....'political' apparently, whatever that means??

I concur with your central point.

If you're serious about it, you probably you should look first to one or more of the German team responsible for the HBW texts (who are still publishing frequently on Trochilidae), or someone like Gary Stiles or Niels Krabbe, though I am not sure that either of them would necessarily want to take it on.

Just a shot in the dark here but I have approached Princeton Uni Press with the idea of producing a family monograph on hummers and the editor is interested...which is always the first hurdle! I'm up for doing the illustrations obviously but need an author. Does anyone know of any crazy such person that would entertain this idea? Cheers Ads

Adam,
I was going to suggest you ask Guy Kirwan, but as always, he's several steps ahead of me...
MJB

'Hummingbirds of the World' or whatever is one of the big gaps in the birding literature. I hope your move comes to something.

Steve

Apparently I somehow misinterpreted the email from Princeton so no guide will be forthcoming which is a real opportunity missed. Sorry for getting your hopes up guys. But tell me, out of interest, would you prefer photo guides or illustrated guides?

Apparently I somehow misinterpreted the email from Princeton so no guide will be forthcoming which is a real opportunity missed. Sorry for getting your hopes up guys. But tell me, out of interest, would you prefer photo guides or illustrated guides?

If it had to be one or the other, then illustrated. A mixture of photos and illustrations can work very well indeed, as in Gulls and the Pipits and Wagtails monographs but personally I'm not too keen on solely photographic guides (The O'Brien, Crossley and Karlson Shorebird Guide being a notable exception).

If it had to be one or the other, then illustrated. A mixture of photos and illustrations can work very well indeed, as in Gulls and the Pipits and Wagtails monographs but personally I'm not too keen on solely photographic guides (The O'Brien, Crossley and Karlson Shorebird Guide being a notable exception).

I second that

~340 species x2 (m & f) = only ~6 per month. Get painting, Ads... :t: PS. Forgot juvs, sspp, in-flight/perched etc. ;)

Also, many would have to be reproduced at larger than life-size just to get the detail visible withour a magnifying glass. Furthermore, most hummers assume different colours at different aspects, or when the gorgets are displayed...

I think a minimum of 6 volumes! Adam, forget Princeton - suggest it to Lynx Edicions!
MJB

Maybe to get a book like this done, we need a different approach. There's recently been a book of birds in Germany (see art thread) and all the illustrations were sponsored by individuals. Maybe that could be a way of getting it done as the individuals would basically pay the artist and author, get their name in big bold print (;)) and the publisher would only have to pay printing costs which would basically keep the price of the book down too.....any takers?? ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back