• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Prediction competition - for charity! (1 Viewer)

MSA

I may be relaxed but I'm not drunk....
As I usually end up making a donation to charity around Christmas time, and as I am about to move house, I thought I'd do something a little different this year.

I'll be starting a new garden list from 27.11.13, so if you'd like to try and predict the first 10 species on that list, the person who gets the most right (not necessarily in order) chooses a charity, and I'll donate £5 per correct species. If anyone gets all 10, I'll double that.

In the event of a draw, I'll decide upon a tiebreaker.

For info, I'm moving to Verwood, close to the edge of the village, near to a largeish conifer plantation. If you want any more detail, use google earth or similar!

I'll give it a go Mark. I assume you're counting all fly-overs too?

Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon
Collared Dove
Great Tit
Blue Tit
Blackbird
Robin
House Sparrow
Magpie
Chaffinch

Much the same guesses as Sean but I'll go for:

Dunnock
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Coal Tit
Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon
Blackbird
Robin
Magpie
Collared Dove

Much the same guesses as Sean but I'll go for:

Dunnock
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Coal Tit
Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon
Blackbird
Robin
Magpie
Collared Dove

That's actually what I went for first, but decided to change Dunnock to House Sparrow, which may be rather risky!

Perhaps as a tie-breaker you could make a note of the 11th species, and the tying participants then need to guess it.

Last edited:
As I usually end up making a donation to charity around Christmas time, and as I am about to move house, I thought I'd do something a little different this year.

I'll be starting a new garden list from 27.11.13, so if you'd like to try and predict the first 10 species on that list, the person who gets the most right (not necessarily in order) chooses a charity, and I'll donate £5 per correct species. If anyone gets all 10, I'll double that.

In the event of a draw, I'll decide upon a tiebreaker.

For info, I'm moving to Verwood, close to the edge of the village, near to a largeish conifer plantation. If you want any more detail, use google earth or similar!

Crow
Magpie
Rook
Woodpigeon
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Great Tit
Nuthatch
Goldcrest
House Sparrow
Kestrel

Oh, you are in UK? There have to be Robin and Dunnock but I do not know what to remove from the above list.

Last edited:
I'll have a shot, my 10 are:

Robin
Dunnock
Blue tit
Coal tit
Great tit
Chaffinch
Woodpigeon
Blackbird
Magpie
Black headed gull

Half the above are far too much like the RSPB garden birdwatch top ten
or whatever for my liking ...

So with probably no chance whatever ... ;)

Tawny Owl
Crossbill
Redwing
Sparrowhawk
Cormorant
Greenfinch
Great Grey Shrike
Dartford Warbler
Skylark
Blackcap

Maybe I'll post a slightly more realistic ten in due course ...

Throw at stab in too ...

1. Blue Tit
2. Great Tit
3. Robin
4. Blackbird
5. Starling
6. Chaffinch
7. Black-headed Gull
8. Carrion Crow
9. Collared Dove
10. Wood Pigeon

Only allowed one attempt ... you're stuffed 3:) Unless MFA is still seriously under the influence of alcohol

You might want to note Dan's choice now, as he is a dab hand at the sneaky edit! He also seems to assume I'm buying a heath and a wood as part of my village takeover plans ;)

Edits are of course allowed any time up to midnight Tuesday - and there's one species that I've seen on every viewing that is on no-one's list as yet....

Here goes Mark:

1. Wood Pigeon
2. Siskin
3. Blue Tit
4. Great Tit
5. Coal Tit
6. Blackbird
7. Robin
8. Starling
9. House Sparrow
10. Nuthatch

Rich

Midnight Tuesday the 27th?

What day is it now? I was going to go back and do a sneaky edit (but left it far too late of course, oh well).

Not going to analyse the garden birdwatch results for the last 5 years, but here's another go -

Chaffinch
Pied Wagtail
Carrion Crow
Herring Gull
Woodpigeon
Great Tit
Chaffinch
Nuthatch
Blyth's Reed Warbler
Redwing
Jackdaw
Feral Pigeon

Now off to find my second best slippers so I can fall asleep watching the politics channel with a mug of ovaltine and a couple of rich tea biscuits ...

...and we have a winner!

Tied on 7 were Trystan and Jos, but Trystan won the tie-breaker, with Coal Tit being the next correct addition after the first ten.

Please let me know where you'd like the donation to go and I'll send off £35 post-haste.

For the record, in order, the species were -

Goldcrest
Great Tit
Robin
Black-headed Gull
Chaffinch
Carrion Crow
Dunnock
Blackbird
Woodpigeon
Siskin

Dan, many thanks for your splendid attempts, I'll do my best over the next few years - your first selection was noteworthy in that none were correct ;)

Dan, ... your first selection was noteworthy in that none were correct ;)

His second was noteworthy for the inability to count to ten and not beyond :-O

Shucks, I got to the tie breaker and not beyond ...pipped by a Coal Tit, a grand bird to be beaten by though.

Good on Trystan, all goes to a good cause - I'd have picked RSPB or West Wales Naturalist Trust.

Just got Mark's PM, I had completely forgotten to check back so only just found I won.

Also chose to send the winnings to the RSPB, thanks for the fun!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back