• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good news - Nature is good for your health (1 Viewer)

Chris Monk

Blackpool Today

Turning a new leaf

DO you live five minutes walk from Blackpool's green and pleasant pastures?
According to a new government tsar, we should all have access to green space on our doorsteps.

And Natural England – a new agency set up to protect the environment – even reckons doctors should write prescriptions for people to spend more time in the great outdoors as part of their recovery.

Natural

Richard Leafe, North West regional director for Natural England, said: "We have set ourselves a target to try to provide a bit of natural green space within five minutes walk of everyone's home.

"That will be a real challenge. We hope to work with local authorities and voluntary bodies and create local nature reserves so that we can improve and create natural green space.

"Access to natural greenery is very important to people's health. We're even trying to persuade doctors to prescribe some time in the natural environment as part of a patient's recovery programme.

"Around the Fylde coast there is the huge nature reserve in the Ribble Estuary and getting people to know and use that more is one of our aims.

"We want to connect up to the urban population of Blackpool and the surrounding areas and get them to use the natural assets around them."

Dr William Bird, Natural England's health adviser, added: "Increasing evidence suggests that both physical and mental health are improved through contact with nature. "Yet people are having less contact with nature than at any other time in the past. "This has to change!"

Despite Blackpool being one of the most-densely populated towns in the UK it boasts a network of parks within a short walking distance of most homes.
Campaigners are bidding to get town green status for Bispham Gala Field while the opening of the George Bancroft Park in Bloomfield Ward, South Shore has provided valuable open space in one of the most deprived inner wards.

Grange Park has Boundary Park, Mereside has the Clifton Road playing fields, North Shore, is home to Claremont Park, Revoe Park sits close to the local primary school, Layton has Kingscote Park while the mass playing fields of Moor Park provides Bispham folk with plenty of strolling space.
And then of course there is the jewel in the crown, Stanley Park.
Another of Natural England's priorities is protecting marine life.

Birds

Mr Leafe said: "We are consulting on a special protection area for birds off the coast of Blackpool. There are two species of sea bird in particular, the red throated diver and the common scoter, which we have a lot of in the sea off Blackpool. We have been trying to reconcile issues for some time between safeguarding these birds and wind farm development."
Natural England has been formed by bringing together English Nature, the landscape, access and recreation elements of the Countryside Agency and the environmental land management functions of the Rural Development Service.
It has a budget of £500m.
n Opinion – Page 10
07 November 2006

Heard the article on Today on Radio 4 this morning. Thought the guy supporting this was amazingly restrained after being likened to Hitler by the dweeb they managed to find to argue against it. What on earth was his agenda?

I guess any study of birdwatchers would show they are fitter and healthier than average person. ;)

RSPB can fund such study - just a little scammy ;) But similar research are quite common in medicine.

Fanatical twitchers in particular are often lean - count how much cholesterol every lifer saves! ;)

However, I am not sure if healthy people are good thing. Maybe we should fight overpopulation by asking people not to go out, eat lots of fast food and stay in front of TV? ;) So maybe don't make this study, after all. ;)

Mad doctor ranter

brianhstone said:
Heard the article on Today on Radio 4 this morning. Thought the guy supporting this was amazingly restrained after being likened to Hitler by the dweeb they managed to find to argue against it. What on earth was his agenda?

Hello Brian!

Yes I heard him frothing at the mouth! The pro nature cure Doctor was very patient with this reactionary ranter. All he was doing is suggesting it might be better and more interesting for people recovering from mental or physical poor health to get out in the countryside or any green space rather than visit clinics or gyms. I know what I prefer for my therapy, give me a days birding by the sea or in the mountains any day. The poor nature cure man was only suggesting it as an alternative not a government dictat or legislation.

Chris

Nature 'can help people keep fit'

Nature 'can help people keep fit'

Long walks are good for you

Getting in touch with nature can help keep people fit, reducing the burden of sickness on the health service, conservation experts say.

Natural England is launching a campaign to get people to spend more time outside among the country's wildlife and natural environment.

It said being close to nature can cut stress and increase physical activity.

The conservation agency said the aim was to help prevent ill-health, such as obesity, rather than treat it.

Natural England health adviser Dr William Bird said: "Increasing evidence suggests that both physical and mental health are improved through contact with nature.

"Yet people are having less contact with nature than at any other time in the past. This has to change."

Dr Bird said children with attention disorders had been shown to improve when they had contact with nature, and people recovering from operations had been shown to need less painkillers if they looked out on to green fields.

He also said people were more likely to keep up regular exercise regimes if they took place in natural settings, rather than in a gym or leisure centre.

Green spaces

The aim of the campaign is to get people to have more contact with the natural environment where they live by promoting green spaces and encouraging health professionals to incorporate them into the advice and care plans they give to patients.

Natural England is working with the BBC and more than 300 partners, including councils and health charities, to promote its campaign, called Breathing Spaces.

COUNTRY WALKS

Hadrian's Wall
Pennine Way
Offa's Dyke
Thames Path
South Downs Way

It will be the first of four campaigns to get people more involved with nature.

Liz Cleaver, controller of learning at the BBC, said: "These campaigns now provide the public with the opportunity for people to get outside and to get actively involved with nature close to where they live.

"That's great for wildlife - but it's also fantastic for everyone's health and well-being."

The campaign has also received support from the government. Dr Fiona Adshead, the deputy chief medical officer, said: "I welcome Natural England's commitment to encourage and enable people to make use of the country's outdoor space for physical activity."

A 'natural' health service

A 'natural' health service

Natural England will today (8th November) launch its health campaign, the first of its four national campaigns to reconnect people with the natural environment.

Helen Phillips, Natural England’s Chief Executive, will set out details of the campaign on a visit to Gillespie Park Local Nature Reserve in Islington at 10.00 am on Wednesday 8 November. Helen Phillips will be taking part in an open air Tai Chi session and joining local conservation volunteers in action.

Helen Phillips said: "Prevention is better than cure but up to 97% of NHS spend goes on treating people after they have become ill. We are working with the NHS to plan ways in which the environment is used as a ‘natural’ health service that gets, and keeps, more people healthy."

Dr Fiona Adshead, the Government’s Deputy Chief Medical Officer, said: "I welcome Natural England's commitment to encourage and enable people to make use of the country's outdoor space for physical activity."

Dr William Bird, Natural England’s health adviser, added: "Increasing evidence suggests that both physical and mental health are improved through contact with nature. Yet people are having less contact with nature than at any other time in the past. This has to change!"

Natural England is working closely with the BBC and over 300 other partners to help deliver Breathing Places, a campaign to mobilise more than a million people, who are not currently active in the environment sector, to get involved at thousands of wildlife friendly green spaces across the country.

Liz Cleaver, Controller of Learning at the BBC stressed the importance of Natural England’s health Campaign, adding: "These two campaigns now provide the public with the opportunity for people to get outside and to get actively involved with nature close to where they live. That’s great for wildlife – but it’s also fantastic for everyone’s health and well being."

Natural England’s health campaign will encourage:

1. More people to get more health benefit from regular contact with the natural environment wherever they live.
2. Health professionals to make more use of the natural environment as part of the total health care they give to their patients.
3. Professionals who manage public open spaces to improve the amount and quality of green space near where people live.

Natural England will do this by building a coalition of environmental, educational, scientific, health and community organisations to bring the environment to the forefront of the health agenda.

ENDS

For further information please contact Natural England’s press office on 01242 533306, 01733455190 or 07970 098005.

http://www.naturalengland.org.uk
http://www.bbc.co.uk/breathingplaces

Notes for Editors

Headline facts

Obesity and physical inactivity are the greatest public health challenges for this government costing England £2.5 billion and £8.2 billion respectively. Increasing access to the natural environment can play a pivotal role in efforts to increase activity and reduce obesity.
One in four people each year will visit a GP because of a mental health problem. Being more active and having more contact with the outdoors reduces stress and can prevent and reduce depression and anxiety. The NHS spent £6.5 billion on mental illness in 2002/03. Local Authorities spent £1.4 billion and informal carers contribute an equivalent of £3.9 billion.
Seven in ten people do not take enough exercise to benefit their health as recommended by the Chief medical Officer. Engagement in physical activity reduces the risk of up to 20 chronic diseases and disorders including obesity, heart disease, type 2 diabetes and certain cancers.
Obesity levels for children aged 6 have doubled in the last 10 years, and have tripled in 15 year olds. 22% of adults are obese and about 40% are overweight. Being overweight or obese accounts for as much as 30% of heart disease and 80% of diabetes and costs the UK £2.5 billion a year.
These facts are drawn from an evidence base being developed by the RSPB through reports by Dr. William Bird: Natural Fit (2004) and Natural Thinking (forthcoming 2006). See http://www.rspb.org.uk/policy/health/index.asp.

Further support for Natural England’s health campaign

Mark Avery, Director of Conservation, RSPB: "Wildlife is good for us, it's a natural tonic that lifts our sprits, clears our minds and helps us get some exercise too! So making space for nature doesn't just help birds, plants and animals it's good for us too."
Nicki Cooper Head of Education and Medical Information at the British Heart Foundation said: "Becoming more active and staying more active is an essential part of a healthy lifestyle. Because the outdoors offers so many ways of getting active, there are huge benefits to the economy, the NHS and us all as individuals if Natural England succeeds in getting more people out enjoying the natural environment."
Paul Farmer, Chief Executive of MIND, the mental health charity said: "The outdoors has great potential to help society tackle the growing problems of mental health. We need to reverse the situation where communities with the poorest mental health benefit also have the least attractive natural spaces. Having good quality natural spaces to enjoy should be a right of everyone."
Tom Flood, British Trust of Conservation Volunteers’ Chief Executive, whose ‘Green Gym’ initiative is free to those taking part and enables people to get fitter and healthier through conservation volunteering, gardening and food growing, said: "The great thing about the BTCV Green Gym is that people are exercising without even realising it, and their environment also benefits. Participants, from school children to pensioners, gain a sense of mental well-being, increased self-confidence and new friends."

Natural England

1. Natural England was established by the Natural Environment and Rural Communities Act 2006. Its purpose is to ensure that the natural environment is conserved, enhanced and managed for the benefit of present and future generations, thereby contributing to sustainable development.

2. Natural England has been formed by bringing together English Nature, the landscape, access and recreation elements of the Countryside Agency and the environmental land management functions of the Rural Development Service.

3. Natural England has a budget of £500 million and employs 2,500 people.

4. Natural England’s headquarters are based in Sheffield.

Chris Monk said:
Hello Brian!

Yes I heard him frothing at the mouth! The pro nature cure Doctor was very patient with this reactionary ranter. All he was doing is suggesting it might be better and more interesting for people recovering from mental or physical poor health to get out in the countryside or any green space rather than visit clinics or gyms. I know what I prefer for my therapy, give me a days birding by the sea or in the mountains any day. The poor nature cure man was only suggesting it as an alternative not a government dictat or legislation.

Chris

There's always somebody who has to go off on one, isn't there? For anti-stress measures, there's nothing like birding (unless you dip on a lifer of course ;) ). I've had depressive conditions and birding is a very good treatment.

How often do you go walking in the countryside?

Vectis Birder said:
There's always somebody who has to go off on one, isn't there? For anti-stress measures, there's nothing like birding (unless you dip on a lifer of course ;) ). I've had depressive conditions and birding is a very good treatment.

How often do you go walking in the countryside?
Published on 10/11/2006

Natural England claims outdoor exercise is better for us than visiting a gym

Often, because I’ve got a dog. I’ve never been to a gym though.

Christine Bell, 42, Dearham

Every day because I take the dog for a walk. I go to the gym as well, but a spritely walk is more beneficial.

Paul Corrie, 40, Seaton

I go more in summer because it’s too cold in winter. I like doing the circuit round Ennerdale Lake.

Kate Woodend, 20, Whitehaven

Never – I don’t have the time to go walking.

Carl Easdon, 24, Maryport

I only walk when I shop.

Amanda Bradley, 29, Maryport

Not very often because I’m busy with the baby. When she gets older I’ll take her for walks though.

Sharon Sinclair, 37, Westfield, Workington

View this story and the latest newspaper in full digital reproduction, just like the printed copy at www.newsandstar.co.uk/digitalcopy

Walking the dog beats loneliness and depression, research reveals

Walking the dog beats loneliness and depression, research reveals
Add your view :news:

Going for walkies is as good for us as it is for our dogs
The benefits to our canine companions have long been known, but now it seems walkies could be just as good for their owners.

New research has revealed that the daily chore of walking the dog can ward off depression and loneliness.

A study by the University of Portsmouth found that the UK's 6.2 million dogs helped motivate their 15 million owners by encouraging them to exercise through a daily walk, even when they didn't feel like it.

The dog walkers surveyed reported that the exercise gave them a better overall sense of well-being as they often met like-minded people, leaving them feeling happier.

Participants in the psychological study also found that even if they were feeling low, they always felt better once they were outside.

Whilst older dog walkers found that the exercise helped them stay physically fitter and maintain social contacts, it also encouraged children to venture outdoors and spend less time in front of the television, according to the report.

The findings by the university's Department of Environmental Design and Management come as conservation experts launch a new campaign to urge more people to "reconnect" with the environment.

A study by Natural England found that taking a stroll outside can boost fitness levels and prevent obesity, heart disease, diabetes and cancer.

Being close to nature can also cut stress levels, accelerate recovery from operations and help children with attention disorders, researchers found.

Author of the study, Natural England health adviser, Dr William Bird said: "Increasing evidence suggests that both physical and mental health are improved through contact with nature."

"Yet people are having less contact with nature than at any other time in the past. This has to change."

According to the research, children with attention disorders are shown to improve when they have contact with nature and those recovering from operations need less painkillers if they are looking out onto green fields.

Dr Bird also found that people were more likely to keep up regular exercise regimes like walking, if they took place in natural settings instead of on the gym treadmill.

Now the conservation agency has launched an initiative to create "breathing spaces" and mobilise more than a million people to enjoy their local green areas.

Natural England chief executive Helen Phillips said: "Prevention is better than cure but up to 97 per cent of NHS spend goes on treating people after they have become ill.

"We are working with the NHS to plan ways in which the environment is used as a natural' health service that gets, and keeps, more people healthy."

Reader views (2)
Add your view

Here's a sample of the latest views published. You can click view all to read all views that readers have sent in.

Walking the Dog, yes! I could also do The Spinner, Rock The Baby, Loop The Loop and Forward Pass. But my yo-yo died. Now I'm really depressed.

- Haskey, London

You don't need research to tell you that; it's the bleeding obvious. Pets are good for you. My dog was my good companion for 14 years until it tragically passed away.

- Dhanraj, Basildon, Essex

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back