• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (15 Viewers)

I've been meaning to make this post for months but have only just remembered to do it.

When the detritus and general paraphernalia from below the old Flashes hide was being cleared out, an item of photographic equipment was found. This has since been cleaned up and is in pretty good condition considering where it has been for the last few months/years.
The item is made by Canon and probably fell through the window whilst the owner was in situ in the hide.
Being as it's made by Canon you won't be surprised to hear that it's not cheap to replace. I'm quite happy to release it to its rightful owner gratis (although a modest donation to the Reserve fund wouldn't go amiss) if he/she can identify the item correctly.

A Jack Snipe is showing occasionally this afternoon in Amy's marsh viewed from east hide. Also a Coal Tit along the east track and Grey Wagtail on the sailing pool.

The Birds of Upton Warren

Following several recent requests for a CD copy on The Birds of Upton Warren opus (which I am currently processing) I thought it would be worthwhile to re-run the advert. The full price of the CD gets reinvested directly back into the reserve:-

THE BIRDS OF UPTON WARREN
CELEBRATING 40 YEARS AS A WORCESTERHIRE WILDLIFE TRUST RESERVE (1968 – 2008)​

Many thanks to all those who purchased a copy of the above; the entire print-run has now sold out. I hope you found it an enjoyable read. A number of subsequent requests for copies have been received. Unfortunately it is not cost effective to enter into another print order but the report is available loaded onto a CD.

The report is approximately 240 A4 pages long and includes nearly 80 colour photos, over 30 drawings and 190 charts / graphs. It records all of the 235 species observed at Upton Warren up to the end of 2007 and gives a commentary on their rise / fall in occurrence and reflects on their breeding status, past and present.

If you are interested, please send details of your address and £10 to:

Mr P M Andrews
16 Camino Road
Harborne
Birmingham
B32 3XE

Phil M / Woodwolf / Gary P - I have got your requests in hand

Last edited:
Hi All. I've been visiting Upton this year since joining as a family members. I've lived in Redditch for 20 years and didn't even know Upton was really there, just gone to Slimbridge a few times a year previously.

Upton does seem to become rather addictive and always keen to find out the latest spottings. One of regulars kindly directed me onto this website which I been following before posting.

I've found almost every one very helpful and do think its a good thing when I asked if I'm a member.

I do some what struggle to know the areas around the reserve that are decribed on the forum. Does some one have an arial view jpeg or PDF that could help me ?

On a separate note are Fieldfare about as I'm not sure that I'm just been unlucky.

Many thanks

Hi All. I've been visiting Upton this year since joining as a family members. I've lived in Redditch for 20 years and didn't even know Upton was really there, just gone to Slimbridge a few times a year previously.

Upton does seem to become rather addictive and always keen to find out the latest spottings. One of regulars kindly directed me onto this website which I been following before posting.

I've found almost every one very helpful and do think its a good thing when I asked if I'm a member.

I do some what struggle to know the areas around the reserve that are decribed on the forum. Does some one have an arial view jpeg or PDF that could help me ?

On a separate note are Fieldfare about as I'm not sure that I'm just been unlucky.

Many thanks

Hi Shaggy - good to have you on board. As a starter I attach below the maps from The Birds of Upton Warren opus. Whilst a general guide they dont show some of the "local" areas such as the spindle patch, seasonal pool, sewage meadow etc. Perhaps if one of us regulars has a some time over the Bank Holiday we will write up a virtual tour of the reserve.

Phil

PS There are Fieldfare around but quite localised - best bet is the far end of the causeway between the North Moors and the main Moors Pool but before you get to the pony paddock, especially by the horse chestnut tree and the adjacent pile of crab apples.

Attachments

• LOCATION AND LAYOUT OF UPTON WARREN NATURE RESERVE.docx
    1.1 MB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Attached is a map (from google earth) with a few of the main areas highlighted. The second map shows a bush on the northern edge of the archery field (south east of sailing pool) where a very protective Fieldfare has been guarding hawthorn berries from all other thrushes for the past three days.

Also seen today were 1 Peregrine on the transmitter masts and 40 Lesser Redpolls in birches on the southern edge of the north moors plantation.

Note: The first map has come out much smaller than I intended and very difficult to read. The attachment in Phil's post is probably more informative.

Attachments

• Reserve Areas.jpg
    Reserve Areas.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 49
  • Fieldfare Directions.jpg
    Fieldfare Directions.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Hi Shaggy
I have added 2 photos: the 1st is of the Flashes and the other the Moors.
The Flashes picture shows the 3 main Flash pools, the top of the pictuere is the 3rd flash , the 2nd flash is just below it. the 'central' area is between the 2nd and the lowest is the 1st Flash. The figure of '8' pool is the hen pool. This is the small pool that is on the left after you have crossed the bridge. The 2nd bridge leads to the hen pool hide.
The moors picture shows the north moors on the left in between the two pools is the causeway./ Since this picture was taken prior to 1993 the whole area has been completely transformed.
There are posts earlier on this thread that show varyious parts of the reserve in more detail.

B :)John

Attachments

• FLASHES aireal view  c1996.jpg
    FLASHES aireal view c1996.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 44
  • moors AERIAL VIEW C1996.jpg
    moors AERIAL VIEW C1996.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 52
Many thanks for the replies. Thats just what I needed.

Whilst I caught the Great White Egret I still waiting to tick off a few of the more regular sightings inc the Lesser Redpoll.

Finally managed to catch a Bittern today at Slimbridge !

Many thanks for the replies. Thats just what I needed.

Whilst I caught the Great White Egret I still waiting to tick off a few of the more regular sightings inc the Lesser Redpoll.

Finally managed to catch a Bittern today at Slimbridge !

Thats a good start to an Upton list! Couldnt you have smuggled a Bittern back to the Moors Pool with you? :-O

The exclusive UW200 Club

The latest quoted life lists for the reserve are currently as follows:

1. John Belsey (Upstarts1979) - 212
2. Mike Wakeman (Wheatearlrp) - 202
3. Andy Warr - 201
4. Terry Hinnett - 200
5. Richard Harbird - 196
6. Dave Walker (Woodchat) - 191
7. Dave Jackson - 189
8. Phil Andrews (Formerly Upton-till-i-die) - 188
8. Rob Prudden - 188
10. Paul Croft (Oriole Boy)- 186
11. Graham La Bouchardiere - 183
12. Gert Corfield (Gertatron) - 160
13. Andy Pitt (Spoonbill Finder) - 157
14. Ed Lea - 145
15. Tim Jones (Timmyjones) - 135
16. Craig Reed (Midland Birder)- 130

In addition several birders are strongly suspected to have exceeded 200 species - Arthur Jacobs, Steve Whitehouse (and possibly John Ridley?). A number of longstanding visitors are also known to be in the 190s eg Ray Currier and Gene Timmins. The race for the next birder to reach 200 is on; at his current rate Dave could well leapfrog Richard to that milestone.

If anyone else wishes to add their total to the list (or update the above figures) then please feel free to post it on the Forum. Dont worry, there will be no UK400 club style interogation; all will be taken on trust! Just for a matter of consistency can I ask that any posted lists (a) exclude Feral Pigeon (b) only include County Submission species where the sighting has been accepted and (c) exclude any dodgy wildfowl (eg Ruddy Shelduck) or recently released partridges.

Mike - do you still have the details of the lists for Des, Stuart Croft, Andy Shaw and anyone else?

The latest quoted life lists for the reserve are currently as follows:

1. John Belsey (Upstarts1979) - 212
2. Mike Wakeman (Wheatearlrp) - 202
3. Andy Warr - 201
4. Terry Hinnett - 200
5. Richard Harbird - 196
6. Dave Walker (Woodchat) - 191
7. Dave Jackson - 189
8. Phil Andrews (Formerly Upton-till-i-die) - 188
8. Rob Prudden - 188
10. Paul Croft (Oriole Boy)- 186
11. Graham La Bouchardiere - 183
12. Gert Corfield (Gertatron) - 160
13. Andy Pitt (Spoonbill Finder) - 157
14. Ed Lea - 145
15. Tim Jones (Timmyjones) - 135
16. Craig Reed (Midland Birder)- 130

In addition several birders are strongly suspected to have exceeded 200 species - Arthur Jacobs, Steve Whitehouse (and possibly John Ridley?). A number of longstanding visitors are also known to be in the 190s eg Ray Currier and Gene Timmins. The race for the next birder to reach 200 is on; at his current rate Dave could well leapfrog Richard to that milestone.

If anyone else wishes to add their total to the list (or update the above figures) then please feel free to post it on the Forum. Dont worry, there will be no UK400 club style interogation; all will be taken on trust! Just for a matter of consistency can I ask that any posted lists (a) exclude Feral Pigeon (b) only include County Submission species where the sighting has been accepted and (c) exclude any dodgy wildfowl (eg Ruddy Shelduck) or recently released partridges.

Mike - do you still have the details of the lists for Des, Stuart Croft, Andy Shaw and anyone else?

I can save you the trouble Mike, I am on 200. I assume we are counting calling birds such as Quail. Although if I remember rightly, Mike has an issue with counting calling birds in certain circumstances.

Des.

I can save you the trouble Mike, I am on 200. I assume we are counting calling birds such as Quail. Although if I remember rightly, Mike has an issue with counting calling birds in certain circumstances.

Des.

Thanks Des - unless Mike wants to put some highlights in his hair, a crucifix in his ear, grow some stubble and don white slip-on shoes and become the Policeman of Upton Warren then I am comfortable with whatever you consider your list to be (given the three base criteria which I think we all adhere to anyhow). Any idea about JHWR?

Although I have yet to be faced with this issue at Upton Warren, I personally would count a calling bird if (a) I had already seen the bird elsewhere (b) the song was very distinctive with obvious confusion species and ideally (c) the bird had already been seen of positively ID'ed. I suspect those that may fall into this greyish area include Golden Oriole, Quail, Nightingale, Savi's Warbler etc.

PS Found a bottle of Gert's Avocet Ale at the back of the cupboard last night; it makes a very good beef and ale stew! Nice one Gert.

Two drake Goosanders just circled the sailing pool and seemed to be heading for the moors pool -looked like they were landing.

Edit. No further sign of Goosanders - must've flown straight through.

Coal Tit again in gardens along east track. 8 Pochard dropped in and Peregrine over. Still 40 or so Lesser Redpolls in birches in north moors plantation.

Last edited:
When I started birding in 1995 Upton Warren was a place I visited on a regular basis until I moved away from Birmingham in 1999 so my life list isn't very high but after the list shown above I thought I would check to see how many I have actually had.

Not in the numbers shown above but it is 120.

My highlight of the four years I went there has to be a self found Nightingale near the feeder hide on the flashes on 03/05/1997.

I was flying to Majorca later that day and spent a couple of hours at UW and was surprised as this bird flew across the path and into the bushes the other side of the stream then started to sing, briefly. I carried on up to look over the flashes for a while but walking past where I had seen the Nightingale I could see it had gone. I never found out if anyone else had seen it as it was nearly three weeks before I was back in Britain.

Now I live in Coventry I rarely get the chance to get to UW but on the few occasions I have I have been well pleased with the way you volunteers have improved this reserve.

Keep up the good work in 2012 guys as it is paying dividends in spades.

John

Last edited:
Sounds like a waste of good ale to me. 8-P

It's not cooking ale! Although tbf given the age of it..
Anyways, just had a count up and my life list for the Warren is 169, having knocked off a few dodgy ones. Will be down at dusk today to see if I can get Tawny Owl for the year list.
It's been an enjoyable year at the Warren and looking forward to 2012:t:

Popped over the Moors briefly this morning, enjoyed the Lesser Redpolls as I walked to and from the East Hide. Coal tit eluded me, but more than pleased with 128 for the year, because that has included some quality birds and birding moments. My UW life list is only a couple of months older than my year list, standing at 131...150 will have to be my target I think !

All the best for 2012 B :)

Dark-bellied Brent Goose viewable from flashes now - as found by the birder formerly known as Upton-till-I-die.

Adult GBB Gull over also

Last edited:
As usual when a bird turns up I'm nowhere to be seen, oh well this is what happens when you're in a relationship and have your nose stuck in the reference books trying to prepare for exams.

Well I hope eveybody who attends UW has had a great year, it's been awesome getting to know all you guys, keep up the good work and the birding will be rewarded.

Happy new year to you all, and I'll see you at the next work party B :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back