• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dorset birding (1 Viewer)

Longham this evening

Manage to get to the lakes this afternoon - in time for the fog to descend and the rain to start. No sign of the hoopoe but did see the redhead smew and a winter dunlin. Flushed one common snipe from the smaller lake too.
Chris

Attachments

• P1040619.jpg
    P1040619.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 58
  • P1040607.jpg
    P1040607.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 60
I had the smew and a green sandpiper, 78 wigeon and 48 pochard.
No sign of the hoopoe and no jack snipe.

I did see the Green sand on the large lake and Snipe* on the small lake but also no Hoopoe. I had the impression of increased waterfowl numbers but the mist meant no chance of a count.

*the Snipe behaved exactly as the others have described the Jack but poor views meant I feel obliged to presume it was the commoner!:C

Hoopoe was seen yesterday.

My garden on the edge of Ferndown Common has been excellent recently. Yesterday 5 species of finches, including a Brambling and several Bullfinches. Pretty sure some Goosanders flew over this afternoon, but I didn't have my bins with me. Aagh!

Hoopoe was seen yesterday.

My garden on the edge of Ferndown Common has been excellent recently. Yesterday 5 species of finches, including a Brambling and several Bullfinches. Pretty sure some Goosanders flew over this afternoon, but I didn't have my bins with me. Aagh!

Similar story here on the edge of Canford Heath nature reserve that my garden backs onto. Today I had Siskins, a pair of Bullfinches, loads of Goldfinches, Chaffinches and a few Greenfinches. Had a male Blackcap yesterday for a while, lots of flocks of various tits all mixed together (Long Tailed, Coal, Blue and Great) and a few Goldcrests most days making an appearance.

Paul.

Last edited:
Longham Lakes 8/12/2010 10:00 to 11:20

Bitterly cold NE wind, about ¾ of both surfaces frozen, several large areas of open water had concentrated the birds.

Best were 2 redhead Smew one of which by extensive black on face was Ad. fem.
Shoveler 1m+2f; Gadwall 63; Tufted Duck at least 106; Pochard 40ish (all on small lake and very active); Wigeon all feeding on the strip of grass to the north of small lake near fence boundary (no count, I didn't want to disturb them in these conditions).
Canada Geese 16 on fields to the west of lakes (43 the other day!)
Mute Swan 1; Great Crested Grebe 1; Little Grebe 2.
Herring Gull 21; Lesser B B Gull 6; Common Gull 7.
Snipe 9 all flushed from south side of crosstrack and flew to large island.

Finally Hoopoe 1 feeding on the grassy area in the SE corner near the Bungalows. (Seen to be successfully foraging!)

Anyone else noticed the fem. tufty that looks like a scaup from its left side?

Excellent day and of course no camera!!

Ray

Last edited:
Longham Lakes 8/12/2010 10:00 to 11:20

Bitterly cold NE wind, about ¾ of both surfaces frozen, several large areas of open water had concentrated the birds.

Best were 2 redhead Smew one of which by extensive black on face was Ad. fem.
Shoveler 1m+2f; Gadwall 63; Tufted Duck at least 106; Pochard 40ish (all on small lake and very active); Wigeon all feeding on the strip of grass to the north of small lake near fence boundary (no count, I didn't want to disturb them in these conditions).
Canada Geese 16 on fields to the west of lakes (43 the other day!)
Mute Swan 1; Great Crested Grebe 1; Little Grebe 2.
Herring Gull 21; Lesser B B Gull 6; Common Gull 7.
Snipe 9 all flushed from south side of crosstrack and flew to large island.

Finally Hoopoe 1 feeding on the grassy area in the SE corner near the Bungalows. (Seen to be successfully foraging!)

Anyone else noticed the fem. tufty that looks like a scaup from its left side?

Excellent day and of course no camera!!

Ray

I'd say nearer 90% frozen! Heron were fishing in the middle of the lake. Looks like it should thaw at the end of the week. Wigeon amounted to 69 on my count. Only saw one Smew but it was cold. That's also my excuse for not seeing the Hoopoe. Glad to hear it's doing well. Think I saw the female Tufted you mention. Of course it could be a hybrid.

There were 2 other birders going round at the same time as me, I suppose you were one. Did you have to go to pick up your wife? If so then we have met! If not then you must have been the other chap in the distance.

There were 2 other birders going round at the same time as me, I suppose you were one. Did you have to go to pick up your wife? If so then we have met! If not then you must have been the other chap in the distance.

Hi Dave

If you were the chap freezing to death at the south end of the lake having just come from the Hoopoe plantation (Bushnell strap on tripod?) then that was me also freezing to death. Good to put a face to the name (you look taller on your avatar!). The Hoopoe was on the East side of the pumping station as I was legging it to pick up my wife. Hoopoe was able to probe into the grass and in a short space of time threw it's head back several times as if swallowing food. Tough bird!

Ray

Last edited:
Hi Dave

If you were the chap freezing to death at the south end of the lake having just come from the Hoopoe plantation (Bushnell strap on tripod?) then that was me also freezing to death. Good to put a face to the name (you look taller on your avatar!). The Hoopoe was on the East side of the pumping station as I was legging it to pick up my wife. Hoopoe was able to probe into the grass and in a short space of time threw it's head back several times as if swallowing food. Tough bird!

Ray

I will apologize in advance as I am awful at facial recognition and will fail to recognize you next time we meet. Don't take offense just introduce yourself. And also introduce yourself the time after that and the time after that!! And a general apology to anyone who thinks I may have ignored them in the field.

Park in Lodmoor car park, it's on the seafront , a pay and display on the town side of the reserve.
Walk back along the path on the roadside to the shelter and it's been showing from there. it's only a 2 minute walk.
If it's not obvious keep looking - it's been quite reliable so far.
Chris

Thanks for your help Chris. Just to let you know that I managed to see the dowitcher on Sunday though I see that it's since moved on to the Chesil Beach area. There was also a bonus in the form of the red-breasted goose. More photos and video if anyone is interested on the blog.

Attachments

• _LBD1_psp_rs.jpg
    _LBD1_psp_rs.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 60
Exotics

Got a decent look at the two most exotic looking birds in the county yesterday. Makes a change from meadow pipits!
Chris

Attachments

• P1040713.jpg
    P1040713.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 67
  • P1040759.jpg
    P1040759.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 61
Red Kite about a mile to the SW of Sherborne around half ten this morning. Right place, right time....again! It has been seen by others in the vicinity over the past few months.

found 10 Waxwing this morning in trees opposite the carpark for Curry's nr Tescos in Dorchester. They appeared to be dropping into gardens of Celtic cresent but birders found the birds rather elusive during the day and didn't managed to see them.

Made my first-ever trip to Longham Lakes today! The Hoopoe was amongst the new trees "plantation", at the back initially, but gradually worked its way forward, eventually flying onto the slope of the path just a few feet away. Managed to miss the Smew, but did see 2 redhead Goosander and good numbers of other duck (Tufty, Pochard and Gadwall, mostly). A nice site, if a little "plastic", but I'm sure this will change as the place matures, and I'll definitely drop in again now I know exactly where to go.

Ouch.
Chris

Sadly, Wick Fields is going the same way at the 'mo - maybe the groundsman is ex-Council?

As to the parking, I was told today that the parking restriction was put in place as a result of complaints to the original planning application by local residents who didn't want too many visitors on site! Sort of shot themselves in the foot, with all the parking now being in the lanes....

Sadly, Wick Fields is going the same way at the 'mo - maybe the groundsman is ex-Council?

As to the parking, I was told today that the parking restriction was put in place as a result of complaints to the original planning application by local residents who didn't want too many visitors on site! Sort of shot themselves in the foot, with all the parking now being in the lanes....

Can't disagree! Got buttonholed by a resident in the week moaning about birdwatchers, have some sympathy, but seems obvious to me that good birds would turn up, and with them numbers of birders, so the water board are kind of responsible for the problem and they should fix it. The car park is half empty all the time anyway.
More worrying is all the new birdwatchers finding all the birds when I used to have the place to myself!
;)
Still waiting for a real big one. And a real big crowd to go with it.
Chris

Can't disagree! Got buttonholed by a resident in the week moaning about birdwatchers, have some sympathy, but seems obvious to me that good birds would turn up, and with them numbers of birders, so the water board are kind of responsible for the problem and they should fix it. The car park is half empty all the time anyway.

Chris

My current worry is my car getting stuck in Green Lane. The potholes in the unmade section are developing into massive proportions! The section along the edge of the tarmacked area where people park is also sinking. Increased birder traffic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back