• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (16 Viewers)

Two Little Egret and 2 Golden Plover over the Flashes this morning. Erected two nest boxes targeting the Pied Wags and Redstarts. Just leaving the Flashes when I met Andy Harris and Anna from the Trust. They were going to burn the wooden waste from un derthe hide so I went along and gave them a hand. We burned the wood infront of the gravel pile so no bramble was lost.

Here are a couple of pictures showing the third flash from t'other side and the hole where our hide will be...

Attachments

• 3rd flash.jpg
    3rd flash.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 74
  • No hide.jpg
    No hide.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Just leaving the Flashes when I met Andy Harris and Anna from the Trust. They were going to burn the wooden waste from un derthe hide so I went along and gave them a hand. We burned the wood infront of the gravel pile so no bramble was lost.

Sy, any sign of any building activity down there today?

I thought we had agreed with the Trust that we were keeping the wood from the old hide (John?). Very little of it seemed to be left on Saturday.:eek!:

I thought we had agreed with the Trust that we were keeping the wood from the old hide (John?). Very little of it seemed to be left on Saturday.:eek!:

I was told today by Sy that they were burning the rubbish pile. Yes I thought we were going to have the 'good' wood for bird boxes etc.

2 female Goldeneyes at the Moors Pool this morning.

Ducks at upton aren't well represented (apart from the common species) compared to Belvide and draycote for example. So it has been good to see some movement involving this group. Since Friday,we have had Goldeneye (11th) Pintail (12th) 3 wigeon (13th) and 2 Goldeneye today.

Two Little Egret and 2 Golden Plover over the Flashes this morning. Erected two nest boxes targeting the Pied Wags and Redstarts. Just leaving the Flashes when I met Andy Harris and Anna from the Trust. They were going to burn the wooden waste from un derthe hide so I went along and gave them a hand. We burned the wood infront of the gravel pile so no bramble was lost.

That's another 2 Golden Plover I've missed :( BTW Sy - you've left you're lights on the Landie..8-P

Guys

Only the burnable crap on the pile on the right of the path was burned. Everything on the left and inside the gate was not touched. Except AH took the old rolls of wire and said he'd give John a new roll to replace it because he was "not happy with the appearance of old wire being used to patch things up".

Last edited:
As far as the nest boxes go. I've placed one low on the end fence post pointing towards the second flash (pee city) as you approach the hide - for the Pied Wags; and the other is in the southern boundary fence near the corner access gate - for the Redstarts.

Last edited:

Yes Dave. E-mail tomorrow.

Oh, just thought of another thing. Maybe some of you know what this is, but there is a very strong almost sweet but hickory-type smell around the confluence of the Hen Brook and the sluice run-off. Any ideas? There doesn't appear to be anything dead and rotting in the vicinity...

Last edited:
Guys

Only the burnable crap on the pile on the right of the path was burned. Everything on the left and inside the gate was not touched. Except AH took the old rolls of wire and said he'd give John a new roll to replace it because he was "not happy with the appearance of old wire being used to patch things up".

I appreciate that but it still doesn't explain what's happened to most of the good wood from the dismantled hide.

Oh I see, sorry Dave. There's no sign of any of the old hide mate. Everything (bar the steps, which are still there) has gone (but I will admit to not knowing about any agreement and the landing and a solitary interior bench was burned today). That said, it was all on the crap pile...

Last edited:
Dont recall seeing anything of the old hide on Saturday other than the steps and what were presumably the elements of the old frame piled up against the hedge.

Thanks Phil. I was starting to feel like I was in some way to blame there.
Far from it Sy ..you are just the messenger :t:
We did tell Andy to leave the good wood and we would sort what we wanted.
Whether the builders decided to take the good stuff and not give us the option we will never know. It's gone now so too late anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back