• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

eurasian dotterel (1 Viewer)

saviornitho

Jérémy Savioz
Hello,

The migration of the eurasian dotterel is almost over but I was wondering about something. Do you think that his stopovers are influenced by meteorological conditions ? I noticed that there are observations in any weather and there aren't more dotterels when it rains than when it's sunny. So I don't think that a particularly bad weather can force him to stop, but I would like your opinion about this...
Thanks,

I think bad weather is more likely to bring them down in the spring. Anyway, in my experience in northeast Spain, I have seen them in May after storms or heavy rain. The same places in August and September are regular stopover sites and then the weather doesn't seem to matter.

Steve

Regular stopping places for migrating Dotterel are probably learned from older birds. As they turn up in the same places year after year, quite often on / around the same date ( for instance May 5 on Pendle Hill, Lancashire, England ) then weather can't be playing a part in their appearance.

Chris

I would agree that location/date as Chris says is probably more important than weather. Birds regularly turn up at the same sites year after year.

CB

Dotterel spot in farmland in Belgium (= difficult to find). The most important thing to found them is good field on good place. but the weather is very important thing! you can find a few with sunny weather (they usually don'tt stop) but you have far more chance with bad weather.

FD (found 97 this autumn incl. a flock of 36 and 28)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back