• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best phone for digiscoping? (1 Viewer)

I have a Swarovski ATS 80 HD 20-60x Zoom and I'm due a mobile phone upgrade. Currently I have the iphone 4s, any advice/recommendations as to which mobile to for, I have been looking at the Samsung Galaxy S5???

Hi all,

Anyone got any advice on this?

I'm interested because I too am due a phone upgrade and own a SwaroATS65 and 25-50x e/p.

Edit- I should add that I would like to get into phone digiscoping on the cheap so best budget phone/adaptors options, please.

Thanks

Last edited:
I use the 5s and just picked up the case/adaptor Swarovski makes. I used the dcb previously and find this new set up far better. I have been told you can use the volume control on the headphones to take the pictures which will address the only concern I had, camera shake.

Actually, I don't really think there are any really big differences between the cameras of high-end smartphones. I'm using a Samsung S3 myself, and the quality is pretty good (even though nowhere near as good as that of a good compact). My partner uses an old Samsung S2, and the quality is also more than acceptable. Even my two-year-old Samsung Omnia 7 produces some nice results.

There are only very few smartphones with cameras that are clearly better than the rest. I saw a set of photos taken with one of the high-end Nokias recently (Lumia 1020 with Zeiss optics), and that was *really* excellent.

But like I said - if you get a high-end smartphone, the camera quality should be good. And if you want to save some money, get one of the older models. The Samsung S2, for instance, is still quite a capabable phone with a good camera.

Hermann

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back