• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blackbird egg gone rogue (1 Viewer)

cabl

Hello,
I found a blackbird egg on my lawn and the remains of another egg nearby (suspect small predator). I tried looking in the nearby hedges for a nest, but to no avail. I decided to take the egg in and set up an artificial incubator (bed of cotton with a lamp).

I'm wondering if this is the right thing to do? Also to note, I read that they usually lay eggs in April/May, and it's late July now.

Erik

Hi Erik and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

Blackbirds can have up to 5 broods each year. You can read more about this in our Opus article HERE. As to why you're finding whole eggs on the lawn, I don't know. However, it is most unlikely that they are viable and trying to raise a chick from egg to fledging is extremely difficult, even for the most experienced.

Maybe someone else can throw more light on why the eggs are being removed.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back