• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

MOT for a lens (1 Viewer)

Clive Watson

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit ampheta
I've had my 600mm for about three years now, and in that time it's spent a long time in the field and taken a few knocks, without me ever having done anything in the way of maintenance other than keeping the glass clean. So I was wondering, do people ever get their lenses serviced? Is it even possible? And is it possible to get lenses calibrated, particularly with regard to teleconverters, since mine doesn't seem to work well with my 2x at all. And if it can be done, could anyone recommend somewhere I could take it to?

I've had my 600mm for about three years now, and in that time it's spent a long time in the field and taken a few knocks, without me ever having done anything in the way of maintenance other than keeping the glass clean. So I was wondering, do people ever get their lenses serviced? Is it even possible? And is it possible to get lenses calibrated, particularly with regard to teleconverters, since mine doesn't seem to work well with my 2x at all. And if it can be done, could anyone recommend somewhere I could take it to?

I've had my EF 300 f2.8L (original) repaired and serviced by Lehmanns in Stoke-on-Trent.
I bought it used, and whilst the AF was OK on delivery, it started front focusing, probably my fault due to repeated vibration when being transported. As reported here in other threads, my first choice of repairer returned the lens not fixed due to it being too old. So make sure you have any servicing done before the expiry of the 10 year rule - this may expire before you expect if there are unpublished internal changes to a lens.

I'd advise you to give Lehmanns a call and discuss the teleconverter matter with them.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back