• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Redstart from Gansu, China ... July 07 (1 Viewer)

citrinella

These were taken at about 2000m altitude, just outside Lanzhou.

I am happy that the adult male is a white winged redstart, Phoenicurus erythrogaster. The variation in the extent and intensity of the white cap is a noted feature for the region.

What are the others ? I guess the one with the red breast is a juvenile male of the same species that has started to develop adult colouration. Is that correct ? If so, an unusual moult pattern - what is the moult process involved ? But I am not comfortable with this guess at all ... might this be a juvenile chat ? Too much red on the belly ? Too much speckling on the breast ? Wings too dark ? No supercilium ?

I guess the third pic is a juvenile white winged redstart that is not developing those features. My books show adult females without white wing patches, so I guess this might be a male too.

What are these last two please ? Moult explanations would be appreciated :)

Mike.

Attachments

• 0707_GouLaShan_Lanzhou_Adult_Male_cropped_2931.jpg
    0707_GouLaShan_Lanzhou_Adult_Male_cropped_2931.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 0707_GouLaShan_Lanzhou_QueryJuvMale_cropped_2804.jpg
    0707_GouLaShan_Lanzhou_QueryJuvMale_cropped_2804.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 86
  • 0707_GouLaShan_Lanzhou_Juv_cropped_2855.jpg
    0707_GouLaShan_Lanzhou_Juv_cropped_2855.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 88
Mike,

These birds are all Daurian Redstarts with the middle image illustrating a more advanced juvenile male than the right hand bird which is also probably a male due to the amount of white in the wing. You can rule out White-winged as the white does not extend onto the base of the primaries, the cap is too extensive, underparts orange not red/orange and the darker tail centre. With regards to the moult question, I think you have the equivalent here of a first and second brood scenario, hence the much more advanced middle bird, July can be 3/4 months into the breeding season.

Mark

Mike,

These birds are all Daurian Redstarts with the middle image illustrating a more advanced juvenile male than the right hand bird which is also probably a male due to the amount of white in the wing. You can rule out White-winged as the white does not extend onto the base of the primaries, the cap is too extensive, underparts orange not red/orange and the darker tail centre. With regards to the moult question, I think you have the equivalent here of a first and second brood scenario, hence the much more advanced middle bird, July can be 3/4 months into the breeding season.

Mark

Thanks for the correction Mark. I see why you were a bit chary about M&P ... the cap doesn't look like the illustration in M&P at all to me. Again the Oriental Bird Club site is extremely useful.

I had thought these might be different broods of the same species (maybe sibs). Would be interesting to know a bit more about how the colouration develops.

Mike.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back