• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blackbird - odd behaviour?? (1 Viewer)

I've noticed a make blackbird in the garden today, and he's been there all morning sitting quietly in the shrubs. He has moved around a bit, from one side to the other, and I've sat with him quite a bit chatting and he watches me. He seems to be walking ok and he's accepted a grape and a raisin from me. I'm just concerned by his lack of busyness. And one eye closes slowly from time to time but maybe he's just blinking.

I would be concerned by his very tame behaviour (I'm getting within a couple if feet from him) except I was feeding quite a few juveniles in the spring and they were coming right up to me, one even fed from my hand, so it's very possible his ease with me is because he's one of those juvys (they tend to disappear from gardens over the summer months here).

Does he sound ok? He's just sitting around with little movement though hops off quickly if necessary (when the dogs wandered past him oblivious he hopped off speedily). Haven't seen him fly but he got into the garden somehow (high fences). I've just found blackbirds to be more busy in my experience, which is limited, as I've only been seriously feeding the birds for 2 years now.

That does seem strange. I've never come across any bird that does this. I'd like to think he's just got to know you and likes your company! |:d|

Is he still around or has he gone now?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back