• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 8x20BT* Silver Or Dielectric? (1 Viewer)

Mac308

United States
Originally Posted by Kevin Purcell View Post
The info Kevin provides shows that they did switch mirror coating but kept the same cordura pouch.

The B is the german abbreviation for Brillenträger meaning "long eye relief".

A quick check seems to indicate that they dropped the B in the catalogs at or before the 52-20-35 product (i.e. the one that has dielectric coating) but my 52-20-35 bins have 8x20 B T* on the bin themselves.

The Victory compact was introduced in 2001 (the same year as the Diascopes).

http://www.zeiss.de/C125716F004E0776/0/3513981354B79969C12571750047B351/$File/Innovation_10_35.pdf

so the models from 2001 to 2004 had silver coating and cordura pouches.

If you have the Victory 8 x 20 with the cordura pouch you need to know the product number to be sure if it is silver coated or dielectric coated. Or to have a serial after one that you know is dielectric coated. So assuming mine is that serial number is 27478xx

LINK:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=162905

Blast from the past... couldn't bring up the old thread as the forum software won't allow it. There's so much conflicting information on the thread it's a bit tough to figure.

QUESTION for anyone that can sort it out.

I have a Zeiss 8x20BT*, Cordura Case, Embossed on the rubber armor "Victory Compact", Box says 52 20 35 and the serial no. is 27341XX...

Sooooo... Silver or Dielectric?

Last edited:
It's dielectric.

If you go to page 2 in the link above and read the comments in posts 32-40 it came to that conclusion. My binocular says 8x20 B T* and has the same embossed lettering as yours does and the same Box number and the same Cordura Case. It's SN is 27547xxx.

Bob

Last edited:
Bob, what's got me confused is this right above Kevin's post:

Confirmed :

Victory 8x20 T*
-Silver coating : 52 20 35
-Dielectric coating : 52 20 75
-Dielectric coating Lotu Tec : 52 20 78

Victory 10x25 T*
-Silver coating : 52 20 36
-Dielectric coating : 52 20 76
-Dielectric coating Lotu Tec : 52 20 79

You can see it on page 10 ( Carl Zeiss Sport Optics - Consumer Price List - Effective January 1, 2010 ) :

http://www.zeiss.com/C12568CF00206298/EmbedTitelIntern/Consumer_Price_List_2010/$File/2010_Price_List.pdf

Yes, it is confusing but note that the 2nd Kevin (Conville) in post 33 cites a link to a Europtic.com Zeiss PDF which clarifies that they do have dielectric prisms. Unfortunately that link seems not to be accessible any more just like the one posted by Alberto (see above.)

The first Kevin (Purcell) compliments the 2nd Kevin on "good sleuthing" and agrees that the 8x20s discussed have dielectric prisms.

In post 34 I stated that I had that Zeiss catalog. It was printed in Germany in 2006 and I still have it. On page 36 it states that both of the Victory Compact T* (8x20 T* and 10x25T*) have dielectric coatings on the prisms.

I purchased mine new from Camera Land in March 2009. I note that the box for my binoculars simply says 8x20 T* Compact but the binocular has an additional B on it. And the catalog number for the 8x20 T* is 52 20 35 which is the same as the number on the authorized dealer's stickon tag on the box.

Bob

Last edited:
I had the non dielectric and then the dielectric. The last 2 numbers of the serial number are different on the dielectric. Optically I noticed no difference.

Zeiss serial numbers aren't keyed in to specific products these days. I don't know if they ever were in the past.

A block of numbers can be issued and several products may share the block or just one product may use it all up. If one product is allocated a block of numbers and after a time they haven't used all of the numbers, the unused numbers may be allocated to a totally different product and get used up this way.

So in recent times at least, the serial numbers don't help in identifying products or changes to products.

Lee

Zeiss serial numbers aren't keyed in to specific products these days. I don't know if they ever were in the past.

A block of numbers can be issued and several products may share the block or just one product may use it all up. If one product is allocated a block of numbers and after a time they haven't used all of the numbers, the unused numbers may be allocated to a totally different product and get used up this way.

So in recent times at least, the serial numbers don't help in identifying products or changes to products.

Lee

I remember the forum discussions on this very topic. I have here 3 8x20 victory boxes. One is dielectric. It might not be the serial number but 2 boxes have a number on them. that ends in 35 and one box the number ends in 75. 75 should be the newer dielectric. Look at the last 2 digits on the first part of the serial number that's also 35 on the silvers and 75 on the dielectric.

You should also be able to search the forums posts from a few years ago and find the discussions.

I remember the forum discussions on this very topic. I have here 3 8x20 victory boxes. One is dielectric. It might not be the serial number but 2 boxes have a number on them. that ends in 35 and one box the number ends in 75. 75 should be the newer dielectric. Look at the last 2 digits on the first part of the serial number that's also 35 on the silvers and 75 on the dielectric.

You should also be able to search the forums posts from a few years ago and find the discussions.

I have had two Victory 8x20s with serial numbers as follows; s/n 2966590
s/n 3001340 both of them with dielectric coatings.

It was explained to me that the numbers just before or just after any Zeiss serial number could be a totally different product. And an 'old' number from some time previously, could be used much later so that an earlier / smaller number that looks 'older' could be applied to products manufactured at a later date.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back