• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

image locating devices (1 Viewer)

christineredgate

Winner of the Copeland Wildlife Photographer of th
Could anyone please either recommend a good image locating device,or name a few websites where these items can be viewed.I do read on and off re ones used for rifles etc,but need to know where to look.
Any ideas greatly appreciated,
Thankyou.

christineredgate said:
Could anyone please either recommend a good image locating device,or name a few websites where these items can be viewed.I do read on and off re ones used for rifles etc,but need to know where to look.
Thankyou.

Hi Christine,
One simple (no-batteries) solution is the "cable tie" -aiming "device", which is very popular here in Finland. See this thread http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=17136 . :t:

Ilkka

Thanks,Ilkka, I have read the thread.But I do know that specific ones can be bought for the job.But will find a cable tie,we have some large black ones,and give it a try.

christineredgate said:
Thankyou.

Christine - when we were at Slimbridge last week, we met a keen digiscoper who had a red dot thingy on his scope. When I was back home I found this thread explaining it:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=17459&highlight=spot

Thanks,Elizabeth,I had heard of this and had read this thread months back.It all looks terribly complicated though ,doesn't it.Also no UK threads or dealers,but will have a nosey around on Google later.I have missed so many shots,which I have picked up so clearly with binoculars,but by the time I have focussed the scope,then added the camera,which then always seems to move the scope out of focus again.I am then waving the thing around in the air,have to remove the camera and re focus.No bird is going to keep still forever!!

christineredgate said:
Thanks,Ilkka, I have read the thread.But I do know that specific ones can be bought for the job.
Yes, and the simple models are not even too expensive. I am sure you will find information in stores that sell sports shooting equipment. The red dot device is actually quite nice, because it allows you to view from different angles and the dot stays on the target - it is hard to explain, but you will see when you try yourself. Best of luck!

Ilkka

Image locating devices

Image locating devices are commonly used by astronomers to help them locate celestial objects with their telescopes. These are called finderscopes. They come in many different varieties. If you visit any website that sells telescopes they will have an assortment of finderscopes. I have a TeleVue telescope and use their Qwik-Point finder that looks like a rifle scope. This is a non-magnifying type of finderscope. As you look through the finderscope it projects a red dot that you place on the "target". It will also work on birds in daylight hours. It is made to fit the rotating collar on most refractor telescopes and will probably not fit on a spotting scope. Try these astronomy dealer websites and perform a search on "finderscopes".

http://www.astronomics.com

http://www.buytelescopes.com

This will at least give you a good idea of what these finderscopes are.

Carl

i used to be into airifles, and used various red-dot sights and lazer pointers. the red-dots are only useful close range, so they are not much good with a scope! the lazers are good for larger distances, but would spook any birds caught in the beam. plus they work better in dusk, rather than day time. your best option would be a small 8x20 rifle scope (10-20 quid) but you would have to fit it to your scope somehow, wich wouldnt be a pretty sight.

Thanks,everyone for your very helpful replies.I did do as Elizabeth suggested,but all I could find was some night view accessories,costing around £400,not quite what I had in mind!!,I'm not really bothered what the overall appearance is,just would like to be able to quickly put the image in the viewfinder and on the lcd screen.I will check the recommended sites,again,thankyou all for your replies.

salty said:
i used to be into airifles, and used various red-dot sights and lazer pointers. the red-dots are only useful close range, so they are not much good with a scope! the lazers are good for larger distances, but would spook any birds caught in the beam. plus they work better in dusk, rather than day time. your best option would be a small 8x20 rifle scope (10-20 quid) but you would have to fit it to your scope somehow, wich wouldnt be a pretty sight.

Would it not be SO much easier to have bought a straight scope in the first place? That eliminates much of the hassle. Of course, those stay-on cases also preclude the use of built-in aiming devices. But these cases are just another part that I can easily do without. They just add to the weight.

Robert

christineredgate said:
...all I could find was some night view accessories,costing around £400,not quite what I had in mind!!,I'm not really bothered what the overall appearance is,just would like to be able to quickly put the image in the viewfinder and on the lcd screen.I will check the recommended sites,again,thankyou all for your replies.

You could check the Gallery Equipment section - there are some nice systems with aiming aids including red-dot sights (see eg. rayh's setup http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showgallery.php/cat/520/page/2/sort/1/perpage/24 - you can even use the SOC).

Ilkka

I found a sight called www.actionoptics.co.uk and received a reply form a chap called Richard who has set up an image optical device using astro scope parts.I think that is correct.It costs just £25 plus postage.When I phoned him this evening he was testing it in his garden.He is hopefully going to post a pic of it to me.He said it is very simple,but very accurate,and fixes to the scope with the plastic type garden ties(I think).
If anyone wants to get in touch with him the phone no is 01453 833738.There is an e-mail address on the website.

christineredgate said:
Thanks,everyone for your very helpful replies.I did do as Elizabeth suggested,but all I could find was some night view accessories,costing around £400,not quite what I had in mind!!,I'm not really bothered what the overall appearance is,just would like to be able to quickly put the image in the viewfinder and on the lcd screen.I will check the recommended sites,again,thankyou all for your replies.

Christine - did you read this part on the first post on the thread I suggested?

It is much better choice than normal Image Locating Sight and can be bought for something about 30 US$.

Red Dot Finder

Hello Christine. It works and is so easy to fit although I had to slightly modify the mount. The finder can be fitted to the sun hood with just one wide cable tie so you don't have to worry about making a special fitment and your scope could be used on a tripod or hide clamp or car window clamp just as easily. The finder does not have any magnification and the red dot is not a lazer so there is no danger of damage to anyone or anything. The bird you aim at will not see the red light. The light is only visible to you and can be adjusted for brightness. There are two knurled knobs on the finder that are used to align the finder with the 'scope - vertically and horizontally. I see that Elizabeth Bigg says they cost $30 but everything in the USA seems to be less expensive than in the UK and we would have to add import duty to the dollar price. If you want to try the one I fitted today, on your own scope, let me know. regards Richard.

Elizabeth Bigg said:
Christine - did you read this part on the first post on the thread I suggested?

It is much better choice than normal Image Locating Sight and can be bought for something about 30 US$.
Yes,Elizabeth,I did,but as it was not available in this country,the price was given in dollars,did not think it would be an option.Also I need something which is light and simple.But I am interested in the one which Richard has produced.

Yes,Elizabeth,I bought one of those from Eagle eye last year.Could not make head nor tail of it,it fits onto the scope re an elastic band.I found the image in the locating device,but it was not present in the scope eyepeice.Maybe I was not using it correctly.But I have sent for the one mentioned by Richard in actionoptics so will give it a try,and return to this thread with any comments.I do have the option to return it ,if unsuitable.But yes,it would be interesting to hear if anyone else had given it a try(the eagleeye ie).

YES,IT WORKS :clap: :clap: Received the Red Dot finder this morning,complete with two cable ties,and a fitted battery,tried it quickly on the scope this evening,followed the very simple and well set out instructions,and hey presto,where the red dot was aligned on a subject ,there was the image visible in the scope eyepiece.All one has to do then is focus with the scope wheel.Very simple.Have not tried it with the camera in situ,but am confident will be as easy.
The cost inc postage was £34 and it arrived by return of post,re the Royal mail.I only fastened the cable tie loosely,but I think could secure with some bluetac,as that would not mark the scope and would be able to remove.
As already mentioned it was purchased from Action Optics Tel 01453 833738.
Richard has ,as already mentioned put some diagrams on his website.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back