• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Long eared owl sites in Kent (1 Viewer)

nowhereblue

Hi there

Was wondering if anyone had any good recommendations for long eared owl sites it kent (especially north kent). I appreciate these might be sensitive in which case a PM is of course just fine too :)

I'll be off probably to sheppey next weekend to see if we can get short eared and barn owl for my girlfriend and dad but if anyone knows any long eared owl sites that would be fantastic

any help much appreciated

cheers

m

Hi there

Was wondering if anyone had any good recommendations for long eared owl sites it kent (especially north kent). I appreciate these might be sensitive in which case a PM is of course just fine too :)

I'll be off probably to sheppey next weekend to see if we can get short eared and barn owl for my girlfriend and dad but if anyone knows any long eared owl sites that would be fantastic

any help much appreciated

cheers

m

Most winters they get Long-eared Owls at Elmley marshes RSPB on Sheppey. They are normally in the orchard near to the entrance. They are normally reported if there. try the KOS website.

Gareth

Hi there
Long eared owls generally speaking are not at Elmley in the winter and as you have said are a species very prone to disturbance. At the moment I am unable to recommend anywhere where the birds may be seen easily or reliably in the county. They have become increasingly difficult to locate in the county and many Kent birders struggle to find them at traditional sites.
Barry

That's great thanks for the replies - i've seen them once in elmley in the summer a few years ago but haven't seen them in the winter there.

Gareth thanks for putting me onto the KOS website - i just took a look its an incredible source of local information ! would like to help out too with some of their stuff as well...

m

Just to echo Barry's comment, they're not nearly so easy to see in the county as they were a few years back. Also those who do know regular sites are loathe to publicise them as, with frequent visits disturbance, the birds can easily become disturbed. Regrettably, if I knew the exact location of a good roost (which I don't) I would have to think very carefully before giving details on a public forum such as this,

There are some bits of info that should never be relayed to other people and this is one of them. The news channels would go to the wall if my rules of confidentiality applied, but some birds would the safer for it. The Elmley birds were a case in point - not too difficult to see, but even that did not stop some inept birders from encroaching on their meagre bit of cover to look them in the eyes. They were there for months before their presence was publicised. My current hatred is "booming Bittern" - a clarion call to eggers if ever there was one. I think it is all totally irresponsible.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back