• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden (Yard) List 2012 (3 Viewers)

With the recent influx of Kites since just before I went away, all I had to do is make the effort to watch the sky today for 20 minutes or so. Within no time I had a pair of Black (Fork-tailed) Kites and a pair of rather more distant Brahminy Kites and not before time.

83) Black (Fork-tailed) Kite.
84) Brahminy Kite.

Been gone the whole weekend, so wasn't able to do any birding for a couple of days.

5/14/2012
122. Cedar Waxwing

Another year bird this evening:
123. American Woodcock - flew over yard at dusk. Difficult to get for the yard.

Not much around this morning, but I did get another yard bird.

124. Savannah Sparrow - heard singing for a few minutes then flew off.

Back in the UK now (Vianne to Bergerac by car, then flight with the world's worst infamous budget airline, then hitched down from Bristol to Falmouth - flight landed at Bristol Airport 15:30, in the door by 20:30, not bad for uk hitching these days imo ... )

Two additions to the Falmouth list already today

58) Common Swift
59) Whimbrel

A dozen or more Swift over the distant hills and fields, split second views of the Whimbrel over the diminishing patch of mud/river visible between the unfurling leaves of the intervening trees. Thought Whimbrel was going to get away from me, but still a few kicking about down there. A lifetime 'garden' tick.

An Australian Pipit over today, heading West was a genuine surprise.

Even though I'm on holiday still I've been very busy until now with Spring cleaning and such but had more time today to watch the skies...

85) Australian Pipit.

Just had a new yard bird for 2012!

36. Eastern Wood-Pewee

That's not a species we get every year in our yard!

*Checking my records I find that we had one in our yard on May 9, 1995.

** Jane, I think that might be a new one for our listing here.

Nightingale Update

The Nightingale reported upthread is still around but singing MUCH less which makes me think he's attracted a mate! I'm so pleased. I glimpse him occasionally but they are such secretive birds and the singing window is really quite small. Also it's complicated by the fact that the clump of overgrown blackthorn that "my" Nightingale likes is also liked by a variety of other birds, Blackcap, Whitethroat, Blackbird, Robin, Dunnock and various tits and at times it can be quite confusing identifying the Nightingales song....a bit of Blackcap mixed in with a bit of Dunnock, Song Thrush and Blackbird sends the mind reeling.........is it.....or isn't it?

I have been involved in the BTO Nightingale survey and taken on three tetrads, including my home tetrad. It's very interesting. The survey started in the middle of April when they first arrive and to start with I found seven! But as the weeks go on, on subsequent visits, they are harder and harder to hear. Part of the aim of the survey is to determine when they stop singing, the thinking is that once they've attracted a mate the singing lessens, unless there is another territory within hearing distance. It is also thought that after the end of May the only birds singing at night are unpaired males. I've learned a lot doing this survey; it's not finished. There are optional nighttime surveys that should be done between midnight and 3 AM; still not sure whether I'll be doing these......don't want to fall in a ditch in the dark.

Sorry for the ramble; in part because there are no new birds seen/heard from my garden. I can report a fledged family of LT tits today and at least 20 common species are nesting in or close by my garden.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back