• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tayforth Birding (7 Viewers)

while walking the Arbroath clifftop path tonight at 7.30 I came across a male cuckoo sitting on a post at the as17 area,this is the first time I have seen a cuckoo on this stretch of coast

Attachments

• cuckoo.jpg
    cuckoo.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 104
Wanted to say thanks to everyone contributing on this thread. Spent a week up at Kenmore, and had some thoroughly enjoyable birding in part thanks to suggestions on this thread.

Among the places visited included Glen Freuchie, Glen Lochay, Glen Lyon, Allean Forest, Rannoch Station, Birks of Aberfeldy. Birds seen included osprey, hen harrier, red grouse, capercaillie, spotted flycatcher, pied flycatcher, redstart, garden warbler, black-throated diver, golden eagle, cuckoo, wood warbler, whinchat, among many other birds you would expect.

Really great place to spend time, and we could easily have spent a few more days there. Midges were......not the worst I've seen, but we fed them well during our trip... :-(

Letham Pools

Spent an hour and a half at Letham Pools this afternoon. My main target was Water Rail, as I've not come across one this year. Sadly, Water Rail was not to be, but I did find some (14) early returning Black-Tailed Godwit. That is the first time I've had a good look at them in their summer plumage. Very impressive!

Attachments

• DSCN6366.jpg
    DSCN6366.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 87
Fife Ness

I had decided on doing something a bit different this morning, so I set out early to make an effort at sea watching. I had in the past, popped into the hide at Fife Ness, but never as my prime objective. Birds reported there last week that would be lifers for me were Manx Shearwater, Little Gull, Arctic Skua and Arctic Tern.

Just outside Crail, I made a stop to try for a secondary target for the day. I had read on this thread how Corn Bunting were common in the fields just past Crail, on the way out towards the golf course. I had seen Corn Bunting at distance last year, along the coast at Boar Hills, but had not realised until I looked at the photos later (and had them ID'ed on this forum). This year, I wanted to get a good look.

As I passed the fields, I could see a few birds flitting about that looked like good candidates, but I needed to make sure. I stopped just past a turn off to the left, where a particular overhead wire had been recommended. As I exited the car, a very obliging Corn Bunting landed on said wire and posed for the camera (see attached) while singing/calling away. My thanks once again go to Barry (Stonefaction) for his tip.

Parking up at the golf course visitor car park, I headed for the hide. The sun was shining brightly, and there was a nice sea breeze. Setting up the scope, it quickly became evident that this was not going to be easy, and so it proved. There were plenty of birds moving out there, but at distance, and moving at speed. It was hard to keep the scope on them, no matter identify them.

Eventually, a few of them started to land within scope range. A Razorbill and a couple of Puffins were logged. I took quite a few photos, which I've now looked at, and they also show Razorbills and Puffins, but no Guillemot.

Highlight of the session however, was a passing Arctic Tern. I am pretty sure I have seen this species before, but was unable to identify them from Common. I spent some time last night studying up, so I was quite pleased to be able to identify one in the air.

With very little changing, I called it a day just before ten AM. I had read the log book while there, and it appears that the better sea watching days are actually when the weather is a bit rougher. I also think my MM3 may be a bit underpowered for this branch of bird watching, but it made a nice change.

On the way back, I detoured into Fife ness Muir. I had to fight my way in, as the path is heavily overgrown. There was not much moving in the muir, which is probably why the path is so overgrown.

A little detour into Kilminning also turned up nothing unexpected, so home I went.

Attachments

• DSCN6418.jpg
    DSCN6418.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Well done on getting the Corn Bunting, Paul. Saw probably the same bird last Wednesday as it flew down from the wire and alongside the car for a short distance.
Sea-watching can be challenging, but it is worth the effort even just to learn the differing styles of flight (and group dynamics/flock make-up). Being able to 'filter' what you are seeing quickly into basic families makes life easier further down the line (and much quicker when trying to sort out what the wee dot a mile out is). Also, almost anything is possible - Black Browed Albatross within a few minutes flying time of the Ness just last week, for example.

Although the winds are light tomorrow they are easterlies, so I might be tempted to head for the Ness again for a spot of sea-watching (need Sooty Shearwater/Long Tailed and Pomarine Skua though none are particularly likely). I tend to use binoculars and then try and photograph divers/skuas/shearwaters etc for confirmation/better look later at home, rather than a scope - though a scope can be a big help for those more distant birds. Generally, a scope is just a bit too much extra weight for me to carry the 2 miles out and same back from Crail on foot.

I ended up doing the same thing with the binoculars and camera, rather than scoping, although it was difficult to get fast moving and distant birds in the viewfinder. I am going to persevere with the sea watching though. I'm sure it will come together with a bit of practice.

Hope you get your Skuas and Shearwater. :t:

With the P900 you have the option of videoing the action too. Can be slightly easier than trying to get a photo - you can also advance frame by frame and select any frame as a photo - handy for ID purposes (though quality/resolution is lower than a photo).

https://youtu.be/VJX0dLscvO4

Press the red button and you start filming - much more straightforward than with an SLR (and with the bonus of still being able to use viewfinder rather than have to use the screen which can make holding the camera trickier than it should be).

Fife Sandpits

I visited the Wilderness yesterday afternoon, primarily on the look out for Wood and Green Sandpiper. Despite being reported there a few days ago, there was no sign. Both of these birds would be lifers, but I always seem to be away when they are about. Still had a nice session though, with the highlights being a returning Ruff.

Not to be defeated though, I decided to do a tour of some of the Ladybank area sandpits this morning. Starting at the Wilderness again, I found five Black-Tailed Godwit and a few Common Sandpiper were popping up here and there. The Ruff was still in residence, but still no sign of Wood or Green Sandpipers. Thought I had cracked it at one point with a very distant bird, but analysis of the photo revealed a Greenshank in summer plumage. Not what I was after, but still very welcome.

Onward to Letham Pools, I found them very quiet and soon moved on to Mountcastle. Again very quiet, but I was scolded by an initially unidentified warbler type bird that I never got a clear look at, however, I have since identified by its alarm call as a Garden Warbler.

And lastly, a visit to Angle Park produced a Barnacle Goose in company with a Barnacle Goose hybrid.

Attachments

• Wild04.jpg
    Wild04.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 81
  • Wild06.jpg
    Wild06.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 66
  • Wild08.jpg
    Wild08.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 82
  • Wild10.jpg
    Wild10.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 90
I had a walk around tentsmuir on Monday,there was a pair of very vocal ravens in the trees at the start of the walk,a small group of very active small birds high in the trees went unidentified,a pair of stonechats had youngsters in tow along the beach area,1 pair of skylarks were also seen, an unringed osprey was fishing near the fishing posts,i talked to someone who recently saw a wte eagle perched here,out at the point bird numbers are starting to grow ,small groups of waders were present.mostly ringed plovers with some dunlin,one dunlin landed very close to me and began feeding,quite a few butterfly's are starting to show,down at riverside nature park the moorhens on the lochan are down to 3 chicks,there was a whitethroat in the shade here (very hot that day)I thought I might have been on to a lesser but looking at the lightened pic I think it is common,great views of swifts and house martins skimming the water at the moment

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 89
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 71
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 72
Er..... can't think Andy.

Paul, where are you LOL

I don't know where he is Delia but I'm in Burntisland. Not been here long and I'm still scouting out the best birding spots. I've found a couple of good resources online but the Wilderness isn't mentioned.

There are many hundreds of birds out in the bay here just now - must get out more :)

You'll get some good ideas from our Opus articles Andy, this will give you a start for the large central parts of Scotland .

I'm wondering of The Wilderness might be the rough area at Fife Ness behind the hide?

Where exactly is the Wilderness?

Sand workings near Ladybank.

Rob

Yes, to the East of Ladybank. I think the road you take out of Ladybank is called Pitlessie Road. Head along past fields on the left until you come to woodland/forestry. Keep going a little way and you can park at the entrance to the gated forestry access track. Now cross the road and look over the stone wall to view the Wilderness.

Last edited:
1 arctic skua circling above the fishing sandwich terns at lunan bay yesterday, large numbers of common gulls flying south

Attachments

• skua.jpg
    skua.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 89
  • terns.jpg
    terns.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 72

Users who are viewing this thread

Back