• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

AOU 2017 Checklist proposals (1 Viewer)

Some mtDNA-based stuff attached.

Green is Old World, ochre is New World.

Wow! Thanks!

So best fit is four crossbill species: L. curvirostra (Common Xb) & L. bifasciata (Two-barred Xb) in Old World, and L. minor (Red Xb; Brehm 1846, oldest New World plain-winged Xb name) & L. leucoptera (White-winged Xb) in New World :t:

Any plans to get this published formally? Looks worthwhile to me.

Right, missed that one!

And yes, pytyopsittacus from e.g. Scandinavia would be good.

And also more sampling from the New World among the Red Crossbills - nearly nothing from the east (Newfoundland would be of interest), Alaska, or Mexico, and more New World samples overall would help clear up the "Colorado-centric" sections.

To answer Laurent and Nutcracker's question, for whatever its worth - I was both right and wrong in my intended answer. I did misinterpret the figure.

To answer Markus's question, they do indeed occur in Twin Falls county, if you believe the eBird data:

http://ebird.org/ebird/map/redcro9?...mr=1-12&bmo=1&emo=12&yr=all&byr=1900&eyr=2017

Wow! Thanks!

So best fit is four crossbill species: L. curvirostra (Common Xb) & L. bifasciata (Two-barred Xb) in Old World, and L. minor (Red Xb; Brehm 1846, oldest New World plain-winged Xb name) & L. leucoptera (White-winged Xb) in New World :t:

Any plans to get this published formally? Looks worthwhile to me.

Yes, very fine work. It all seems fairly logical - agree that Scandinavian Parrot would be helpful - perhaps that will reveal a surprise. Interesting to see no obvious separation of North African, Balearic or Luzon birds. And 'Scottish Crossbill' seems comprehensively buried by this, surely.

cheers, alan

And also to get the huge-billed, deep purple-pink crossbill I saw in the Pirin Mts in Bulgaria a few years ago . . . looked very 'Parroty' and with a Parrot-like call, too :t:

It seems that Cassia Crossbill is being drowned at birth. One of the shortest lived 'species' on record?

Why was this information not taken into consideration (or was it, and there are other factors that were taken into account) before it's recent elevation to speicesdom?

And is it likely that IOC will take Laurent's presentation on board?

It seems that Cassia Crossbill is being drowned at birth. One of the shortest lived 'species' on record?

Why was this information not taken into consideration (or was it, and there are other factors that were taken into account) before it's recent elevation to speicesdom?

And is it likely that IOC will take Laurent's presentation on board?
There is good stuff in the pipeline.
We'll wait :)

Again....as I have already stated...AOU/AOS does not used the phylogenetic species concept. Which if you are arguing on the basis of the tree Laurent posted, is the species concept you are using.

Their is fairly solid evidence, as PRESENTED IN THE PROPOSAL, that Cassia Crossbill acts as a good biological species where sympatric with other crossbills. That it's embedded within Red Crossbill is irrelevant under the BSC.

Maybe a small detail, but I'm still curious to the statement that it's endemic to Cassia County, Idaho. Is there anyone familier with the South Hills range (I'm not) that can bring clarity to this? Is the forest vegetation different on the Cassia County side of the range compared to the Twin Falls County side of the range? Or is it actually endemic to Cassia AND Twin Falls counties?

Our (AOS NACC) Notes for the crossbill read:
Although the English name South Hills Crossbill was used in the description, Cassia Crossbill more accurately describes the distribution of this species, which is endemic to Cassia County, Idaho, and is more succinct and less confusing (C. W. Benkman, in litt.)

Our (AOS NACC) Notes for the crossbill read:
Although the English name South Hills Crossbill was used in the description, Cassia Crossbill more accurately describes the distribution of this species, which is endemic to Cassia County, Idaho, and is more succinct and less confusing (C. W. Benkman, in litt.)

Yes, that statment made me curious since South Hills is divided into two counties, and if you can trust the e-bird data it does seem like it's not endemic to Cassia County, but occurs at least also in Twin Falls County. But any evidence of the opposite would be interesting to see. |=)|

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back