• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wexford birding (1 Viewer)

Jeez...no-one going to post about the 4 (or 5? or 6?) Red-footed Falcons at Tacumshin this last three days? Or the three Hobbies that came with them? Whassamaddawidyouguys...you all actually out there birding instead of sitting in front of a computer?;)

@Sancho: here ya go

Friday 28/05 - Tacumshin
Arrived relatively early at the East End car park hoping that the reported Hobbys and Red-footed Falcons were still present. It was still relatively overcast and quick scan of the skies did not reveal any hunting Falco species. Trudged through the muddy channel (waders are a definite advantage) to the East End Pool. A nice selection of ducks were present, including a female Gadwall with 9 ducklings and a late adult male Wigeon. Neither the Glossy Ibis or the Forster's Tern showed themselves though. A Reed Warbler sang briefly from the (what else) reed bed fringing the Pool. A Green-veined White and an unidentified Caterpillar added some non-avian interest.

Walking on towards the Patches, a small falcon dashed over - "only" a Kestrel though. However, this was quickly followed by the real deal when a Hobby flew over, catching dragonflies. It stayed over Sigginstown Island for a few minutes before flying off westwards. A very nice and long-overdue Irish tick! The Patches themselves were relatively quiet, with only c50 summer-plumaged Dunlins, Black-tailed Godwit (100), Greenshank (1), Grey Plover (1) and a few Ringed Plovers present. Walked back to the East End car park and headed over to the Lingstown end of Tacumshin.

Consisting of a very large reedbed, the Lingstown end of Tacumshin is always interesting. Water Rails are common and a few Reed Warblers can usually be heard in summer. Arriving at the site, a small "falcon" flying over revealed itself as a Cuckoo, while a Wheatear sat on a gate post. A scan of the skies did not reveal any flying raptors - though the clouds were gradually lifting and the temperature increased noticeably. Noticed two very distant raptors perched on gorse, which looked interesting. Headed out towards them through the reedbeds (water far too deep for wellies) towards the White Hole. Azure Damselflies were abundant, with a few Large Red Damselflies and Migrant Hawkers also present. A quick scan from an embankment in the marsh revealed that the two raptors were now actively hunting over the gorse, though still too distant to identify. After a long wait one of them finally drifted closer, eventually revealing itself as an adult female Red-footed Falcon. Showed very well, catching dragonflies overhead and was soon joined by a sub-adult male and another female, as well as several Hobbys. B :) B :)

Total of 53 species in 4 hours of birding.

Jeez...no-one going to post about the 4 (or 5? or 6?) Red-footed Falcons at Tacumshin this last three days? Or the three Hobbies that came with them? Whassamaddawidyouguys...you all actually out there birding instead of sitting in front of a computer?;)

Hi Sancho,

Its hard to know whats happening as so many falcons are booting around the area, but I have tried my best to tally them with the aid of several other birders.

On Thursday the tally was 3 birds, 2 males and a female, all first summer birds. And minimum 6 Hobby.

On Friday myself and Sean Ronayne arrived on site early and began scanning for falcons from the car park at lingstown. 2 redfoots (male and female) and 4 hobby were present from here, but distant.

We then moved around to the white hole area and had 3 Redfooted falcons over the small reedbed here, 2 males and a female.

Whilst other birders were watching this female on a post I found 2 other females circling over lingstown.

Subsequently, after we left this area, others had 3 males over the small reedbed and then another birder had 4 males at a later juncture.

Myself and Sean checked the south slob, where I found 3 small falcons hunting dragonflies over the distant channel. These were too high to ID at the time, and we failed to relocate them after driving in their direction, however 2 hobby were seen here the following day, so likely 2 of the 3 birds I had. A female Marsh harrier was also here.

We then moved back to white hole/Lingstown area where I found a Great white egret over the Lingstown reedbed moving towards the east end. (This bird was seen again on Sunday morning by Ronan Mclaughlin), whilst scanning this area I had a 1st summer male Red foot come from some distance in the Kilinick direction and head over the Reedbed.

On Saturday evening My brother had 2 males and 2 females roosting together in Lingstown.

Trying to put all this together, there are minimum 6 Red footed falcons in the Tacumshin area, (however as they are all 1st summer plumage there could be more). Hobby has not risen above confirmed 6 at Tac, however there are minimum 2 more at the South slob (possibly 3).

What a weekend for raptors!

Owen

Last edited:
Was anyone checking the Cahore area over the weekend?
You would imagine this would be quite suitable hobby/redfoot habitat and may have gotten some action also?

Owen

Hiya,

Sightings from the previous two weekends:

12th Sept 2010
Tacumshin Lake:

1 juv. Baird's Sandpiper, 7 Pectoral Sandpipers (flock of 6 + a lone juv.), 3 Lapland Buntings, 1 juv. Hen Harrier, 1 female Marsh Harrier, 35+ juv. Curlew Sandpipers, 15+ juv. Ruff, 5 juv. Little Stints, 1 Whimbrel, 1 juv. White Wagtail & 1 'brown' Garganey in the east end pool.

Hook Head:
2 male Blackcaps, 1 Chiffchaff & 2 Arctic Skuas (dark phase & a juv.).

Bannow Bay:
6 juv. Curlew Sandpipers in the NE corner near Wellingtonbridge.

19th Sept 2010:
Carnsore Point Seatrack Survey 0800-1100:

2 Balearic Shearwaters
1 Sooty Shearwater
10 Manx Shearwaters
5 Bonxies
2 pale phase Arctic Skuas
1 juv. Black Tern
1 Roseate Tern
4 Common Scoter
1 Red-throated Diver
1 Red-breasted Merganser
7 Whimbrel

Tacumshin Lake:
1 juv./1st winter Wilson's Phalarope, 3 juv. Buff-breasted Sandpipers, 6 Pectoral Sandpipers (flock of 5 + a lone juv.), male & female Blue-winged Teal, 5 Lapland Buntings, 1 adult Scandinavian Herring Gull (argentatus), c.25 juv. Curlew Sandpipers, 7 juv. Ruff, 8 juv. Little Stints, 13 Grey Plover, 54 Greylag Geese (presumed feral), 1 juv. Hen Harrier, 1 juv. Merlin, 2 Whimbrel & 1 juv. White Wagtail.

Lady's Island Lake:
2 Glossy Ibis at the Ring Marsh corner & later at Rostoonstown. 2 juv. Black Terns in NE corner, 40 Little Egrets & 1 Merlin.

Rosslare Backstrand:
1 dark juv. Arctic Skua & 23 Light-bellied Brent Geese.

All the best,
Niall

Irish woodlands and Forests sell off.

Irish woodlands and Forests sell off.
The Irish government is to sell its woodlands and forests to private companies. Details at www.woodlandleague.org.
Get siginig people! Anything with Bertie attached can't be in our interest.
Paul

Bearded reedling dispersal any time soon from Tacumshin?

Lots of them about at the moment. 24 yesterday at Lingtown and 14 at Ring Marsh. I saw a flock of 8 at the East End on saturday morning, so that is 46 different birds more than likely.
regards
Paul

Ring Marsh

I have only recently moved to Wexford. Can anyone fill me in on where Ring Marsh is please. I know most of the other sites, but not this one. Thanks.

Hi
It is at the south east side of Lady's Island Lake - see Eric Dempsey's book on where to watch birds in Ireland for detailed directions. You can leave Lady's Island village heading south and follow your nose to park at the south east corner of the lake. Then you have to walk back along the shoreline north to a small indented lake/marsh - generally tough going when it is wet and the water is high so not much visited I guess.
regards
Paul

Location detail on Hook Head birds

Hi
Any location detail on the birds presently at Hook Head (booted, barred, rb shrike)? Fingers crossed some might still be about at the weekend.
cheers
Paul

Hi
Any location detail on the birds presently at Hook Head (booted, barred, rb shrike)? Fingers crossed some might still be about at the weekend.
cheers
Paul

There is a photo of the location with directions on Irish Birding. Search Booted Warbler and its with Killian Mullarney's photos on that site.

Peter

Thanks
Booted teased for the week then scarpered, little s**t!
Managed 4 sp. flycatchers (2 at church, 2 in garden with apple trees next to Lupin cottage), 1 lesser whitethroat, 1 common whitethroat, 1 female redstart all in church area, 2 ravens, 1 garden warbler (lobster pot cottage garden next to church) and tree sparrows at Slade lane.
regards
Paul

Hi
I think most of the people posting here are based in other areas (Wickow, Dublin, Cork?) so don't think to post maybe? Someone will probably reply if you put something up and want some info though I should think.
regards
Paul

Hi, Is there a phone number for the wexford twitter account. Sometimes Irishbirding doesnt receive my sightings as on friday I had what I was 99.9% sure was a montagu's harrier on the south slob near the slurry tanks.
One was spotted today at Tacumshin so i'm wondering if it was the same one.

Regards Gerard.

Reported a garden warbler at Hook on Monday, June 5th to irishbirding.com. This seems to be the only ever June record reported on this website for Wexford! Could that be right??
regards
Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back