• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BBC Two - Yellowstone: Wildest Winter to Blazing Summer (1 Viewer)

Telephoto Paul

Three-parter, fronted by Kate Humble and Patrick Aryee. Patrick impressed me on the current Sky1 monkey series, but I suspect like the recent Polar Bear Live programme, I'll be fast forwarding most of the parts with on-screen presenting.

Starts at 9pm on Tuesday, with the remaining parts following on Wed and Thursday.

Last edited:
... but I suspect like the recent Polar Bear Live programme, I'll be fast forwarding most of the parts with on-screen presenting.

How right you are, sir! What a waste of 75% of the programme (and why do they complain how cold it is when they've got all the layers of their clothing wide open at the neck!)

I was in two minds about it. The original Yellowstone series was very heavily pilfered for this programme - all the glossy, high quality footage was from it. I think also the grouse scenes were from it too (but I'll need to watch it again to be sure) - and if I'm right then I get the feeling that Kate Humble wasn't watching them at all and was acting along to previously recorded footage.

As I was watching it I was wondering if I was learning much new that the original Yellowstone didn't cover. It did in some ways, like explaining bear behaviour, but it was something made just more explicit than what the original Yellowstone series showed in pictures, and from which you could make up your own mind about things.

I was wondering if it was just an excuse to send Humble on a holiday to Yellowstone.

Watchable in a lacklustre sort of way. You could say 'a pass the time' sort of wildlife programme, as there is simply nothing else decent on offer on the box at the same time.

Si

Having now had the chance to watch all three episodes, I have to say that far exceeded my expectation and was leagues ahead of Arctic Live. No pretending to get excited about animals that aren't up to much, and for the most part the time spent talking to other experts managed to be more on the interesting rather than boring. It took until the third episode before I used the fast forward; it's a real and important topic but there's only so many times you can stand to listen to Humble repeat " Global. Warming. has. something. something. something. something. months. of. record. temperatures. something. something. animals. struggling. to survive. something. something."

I think also the grouse scenes were from it too (but I'll need to watch it again to be sure) - and if I'm right then I get the feeling that Kate Humble wasn't watching them at all and was acting along to previously recorded footage.
Most likely she was or just had been watching grouse as she recorded that bit, but not the ones that were show. But that's going to be standard practice in nature docs.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back