• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Assorted from the Mull of Galloway (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
All taken the very end of May. I did know the names of some of them when I was there, but have lost my notes on them and have a very bad memory for flowers.

Any help would be much appreciated.

A few more to follow.

Attachments

• S0030006 For ID Small.jpg
    S0030006 For ID Small.jpg
    512.7 KB · Views: 111
  • S0060013 For ID Small.jpg
    S0060013 For ID Small.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 108
  • S0080017 For ID Small.jpg
    S0080017 For ID Small.jpg
    417.6 KB · Views: 114
  • S0090019 for ID Small.jpg
    S0090019 for ID Small.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 107
  • S0110024 For ID Small.jpg
    S0110024 For ID Small.jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 105
The last ones. And does anyone know the bumble bee.... is it an Orange-tail by any chance?

Thanks.

Attachments

• S0160038  For ID Small.jpg
    S0160038 For ID Small.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 99
  • S0220065 For ID Small.jpg
    S0220065 For ID Small.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 89
  • S0460188 For ID Small.jpg
    S0460188 For ID Small.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 95
  • S0480194 For ID Small.jpg
    S0480194 For ID Small.jpg
    404.1 KB · Views: 103
2 - White Campion Silene latifolia.
3 - Silverweed Potentilla anserina.

5 - Oilseed Rape (farm escape)
6, 8 - probably Common Hogweed Heracleum sphondylium.
7 - Bird's-foot-trefoil Lotus corniculatus.

Doh!!! Silverweed < blush > My sister told me that one at the time, and kept quizzing me on the name to make sure it stuck!!!

I'm pretty sure that wasn't rape though; another I think she put a name to but I can't remember it.

I wondered if 6&8 were the same flower... saw them in different places.

Thanks Michael.

1 Sea Mayweed, Tripleurospermum maritimum
2 isn't White Campion but Sea Campion, Silene uniflora
3 Agree
4 Sheep's-bit, Jasione montana
5 Not sure- need more detail as yellow crucifers can be tricky
Agree for 6/7/8

Thanks so much Aeshna.

Would a cropped close-up help with No 5?

Hi Aeshna

Think the one with leaves is not too bad. I can't find any seed pods, as the plant seemed to be just newly come into flower. I've done a crop of the very top of the plant, where it looks like the flowers are just beginning to drop.

If you think a closer crop of that one might help, let me know which bit you want to see closer and I'll have another go.

Attachments

• S0110025 Leaves Small.jpg
    S0110025 Leaves Small.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 81
  • S0110024 detail Small.jpg
    S0110024 detail Small.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 92
Can't be certain Delia as fruits are not mature. Don't think it's Oil-seed Rape. Possibly White Mustard, Sinapis alba?

Many thanks for all your help Aeshna.

I seem to remember my sister mentioning 'mustard' at some point that day, so probably that one. It was the only plant there.

We showed it to the Ranger later and he was interested to know where we'd seen it as there was to be a wildflower walk the next day.

Sorry, a mix of holiday and illness, messed me about rather. I seem to be missing an ID for the last picture in my second post if anyone can help with that one for me.

I would say fruiting Common Scurvy Grass, Cochlearia officinalis, with a bit of Sea Campion sneaking into the photo, previously identified.

Thanks very much Aeshna.

Doesn't sound very exciting, does it LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back