• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Female Lady Amherest Pheasant or Golden Pheasant (1 Viewer)

indep14

All these pictures are of one female, can anyone please tell me if she is female of Lady Amherst Pheasant or Golden Pheasant?( If it can be ascertained from these pictures)
Image0097.jpg

Image0098.jpg

Image0101.jpg

Image0102.jpg

Image0118.jpg

Image0120.jpg

Image0121.jpg

Nicole Main
Thanks for your reply, but you did not explain why do you think it is female golden, care to now?
I await opinion from other members too!

All these pictures are of one female, can anyone please tell me if she is female of Lady Amherst Pheasant or Golden Pheasant?( If it can be ascertained from these pictures)
Image0097.jpg

Image0098.jpg

Image0101.jpg

Image0102.jpg

Image0118.jpg

Image0120.jpg

Image0121.jpg

I'm no expert, but from a little research the following appear to fit LA's better:

Rufous plumage tones
Greyish legs
Blue-grey cheek patch & whitish surround to eyes
Unbarred belly
Distinct creamy bars along tail

Steve

Be careful !!! There are many hybrids LA x Golden in captivity...

And there are probably no more pure lineages in bth LA and goldens straisn in captivity...

I think that this female pheasant is probably a hybrid..;

I am placing some more pics, as earlier ones were not clear, I hope someone can now be precise in his/her opinion and can help me
DSCN1038.jpg

DSCN1030.jpg

DSCN1040.jpg

DSCN1049.jpg

DSCN1051.jpg

DSCN1065.jpg

DSCN1059.jpg

DSCN1058.jpg

DSCN1057.jpg

DSCN1056.jpg

Last edited:
Hi! I don't know if you are still pondering this one, but thought I'd throw in my two cents. I happen to be doing some research on the Golden Pheasant right now and stumbled upon your post. I attached the plate for these species and looked them over as well. Your bird is beyond my ability to ID with any certainty. It shows some simiarities with both species. The bird is also looking pretty ratty and the picture quality isn't such that one could make any good guesses based on leg color. I'd say, see if things get a little more clear after her next molt. Otherwise, your guess is probably as good as the next guy. Also agree with the comment about hybridization. There are probably endless combinations of plumages that could result from cross breeding of the two species. But, I'm no expert ; )

Hope the plates help!

Aloha

Attachments

• PheasantGuide2.jpg
    PheasantGuide2.jpg
    384.3 KB · Views: 141
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back