• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best sites in Northern California (1 Viewer)

James

I'm losing it!
Folks

My wife and I are birding Northern California for 2 weeks next September. We have already been sent some trip reports and have the book "Birding Northern California" by John Kemper.

The problem is distilling all this down into 9 or 10 days worth of "must see" sites to get the widest range of species and habitats. So - what sites simply cannot be missed?

Regards

James

Of the sites in John Kemper's guide, I would particularly recommend Point Reyes, Monterey area (including Big Sur, Elkhorn Slough, Año Nuevo and pelagics from Monterey and/or Santa Cruz), Mines Road, Yosemite, and Mono Lake region.

Richard

A short diversion to the Pinnacles NM should get you Lawrence's Goldfinch (campsite), California Thrasher (if missed elsewhere) and is now another Condor site (not when I was there though). I saw Bobcat in the campsite, YBMagpies etc

I would base the entire trip around pelagics; book at least four; Bodega Bay best for Blue Whale; Fort Bragg best for rare deep water stuff (I saw Hawaiian Petrel); Monterey (and another nearby trip TBC) for Storm-Petrels.

Glacier Point Car Park in Yosemite for tame Dusky (was Blue) Grouse.

Cheers, alan

For rails (Clapper, Sora, Virginia) & the common waterfowl & shorebirds, the Palo Alto Baylands--about 30 miles S of the City--can't be beat.

All info being absorbed - thanks. What I might do is publish our provisional itinerary to see what people think. I know if someone did that for the UK it would be obvious to local birders if a "must see" site had been missed out! California birders have a high reputation so should be able to spot the holes quite easily.

James

What about a guaranteed easy site for California Black Rail?

Richard ;)

Same place, actually, the Palo Alto Baylands, but it has to be at the spring tides in January or February, not September. Or at least this used to be true many years ago when I (with crowds of other birders) saw my only Black Rails at such tides, along with the scores of Clapper Rails, Virginia Rails & Soras also driven into the open by the high water. Happy days!. I must remember to drive out to the coast & do it again some winter.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back