• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (40 Viewers)

Of course, you'll need to be a paid-up member of NWT to be in the hides in the evening - the day visitor permit is for 10am-5pm only. If the gulls are on Pats Pool they are viewable from the Reserve Centre car-park, but distantly (and in failing light).
Tonight there were five Caspian Gulls (two juveniles, a sub-adult and two third-winters) and at least a dozen Yellow-legged Gulls amongst the near-dusk gathering on Pats Pool. Also at Cley today, Med Gulls, LR Plover and Wood Sandpiper, while the Glossy Ibis lingers nearby at Salthouse.

Titchwell August 20th

Today's highlights

Great white egret – 1 around the reedbed all day but generally elusive
Bittern – 2 in flight together over reedbed several times today
Dunlin – 100 on fresh marsh
Spoonbill – 1 on fresh marsh
Osprey – 1 east @ 10:15
Spotted flycatcher – 1 in carpark briefly this morning
Med gull – 6 on fresh marsh
Water rail - 1 on fresh marsh

Paul

:)
Just the two Caspian Gulls tonight (only one juvenile and the usual near-adult-type) but Sunday is often the worst gull day of the week... Also about a dozen Y-l Gulls, one hybrid gull, two Med Gulls (ad and juv), 6 Green Sandpipers, Greenshank etc. at Cley this evening. Oddly, several surprisingly large flocks of Common Terns flew west along the beach this evening, and 2 Arctic Skuas were over the beach. Passerine migrants included Spotted Flycatcher and Wheatears, while the Glossy Ibis remains at Salthouse.

A teacher who would take me and my mate out bird watching at the weekends { try doing that now with out someone fetching a policeman } Always named birds by there latin name. Then its English name. Good old days with the Zeiss 8x30s that I got from the club book and paid monthly

Titchwell August 21st

Today's highlights

Great white egret – 1 still in reedbed but elusive
Spoonbill – 5 roosting on fresh marsh
Curlew sandpiper – 1 briefly on fresh marsh @ 13:30
Little stint – 1 on fresh marsh
Green sandpiper – 3 on grazing meadow
Spotted redshank – 2 on fresh marsh
Turtle dove – 1 still in carpark
Ruff – 74 on fresh marsh
Golden plover – 86 on fresh marsh
Water rail - 2 regular juveniles on fresh marsh again today. 1 from Island Hide and 1 on Autumn Trail
Black tailed godwit - 334 on fresh marsh
Avocet - 142 on fresh marsh

A 2 hour westerly movement of raptors this morning produced a minimum of 40 common buzzard, 2 red kite, 6 marsh harrier and a hobby

Paul

Titchwell August 23rd

Today's highlights

Purple sandpiper – 1 at Thornham Point @ 10am
Pied flycatcher – 1 in bushes near beach briefly this morning
Curlew sandpiper – moulting adult on fresh marsh this morning before being flushed by a hobby
Spoonbill – 11 on fresh marsh this morning
Spotted redshank – 3 on fresh marsh
Greenshank – 2 on fresh marsh
Golden plover – 90 roosting on fresh marsh
Bittern – 1 over reedbed
Eider – 4 offshore

Paul

The Glossy Ibis still at Cley today (see www.cleybirds.com ) and Bittern. Also three juv/1st-w Caspian Gulls on Simmond's Scape this evening, along with half-a-dozen Yellow-legged Gulls, while other birds included one Garganey, 11 Green Sandpipers, 6 Greenshanks, 2 Whimbrels and a Spotted Redshank. Also two Otters just in front of Daukes Hide at dusk.

The Glossy Ibis still at Cley, roosting tonight on Pat's Pool. Also quite good numbers of gulls, including three juvenile/first-w Caspian Gulls on Simmond's Scrape, 8+ Yellow-legged Gulls and f-w Med Gull. Fewer waders, with two Common Sandpipers about the best, but other highlights included Kingfisher, Several Water Rails and Water Vole.

Titchwell August 29th

Today's highlights

Great white egret – 1 in reedbed mid afternoon but elusive
Short eared owl – 1 hunting over saltmarsh this morning
Spotted redshank – 1 on fresh marsh
Spoonbill – 5 on fresh marsh
Whinchat – 1 by main path this morning
Arctic skua - 7 offshore
Wheatear - 1 on fresh marsh islands
Wigeon - 5 on fresh marsh

Paul

The Glossy Ibis came in to join the gulls on Pat's Pool at 7.50pm, landing near a second-winter Russian Common Gull. Also about 10 Yellow-legged Gulls this evening, but just two Caspian Gulls (a juvenile and an adult). Also a couple of Green Sandpipers present, 30 Ruff and a couple of Water Rails.

Titchwell August 31st

Today's highlights

Long tailed skua – adult east offshore this morning @ 08:50
Curlew sandpiper – 4 on fresh marsh
Spoonbill – 10 on fresh marsh
Garganey – juvenile on Patsy’s reedbed
Dunlin – 73 on fresh marsh
Greenshank – 1 on tidal pool
Wheatear - 1 on East Trail

Paul

Of course, you'll need to be a paid-up member of NWT to be in the hides in the evening - the day visitor permit is for 10am-5pm only.

I never knew that (I've never bought a Day permit for Cley). That's exceedingly odd. I can't think of any other reserve that does that!

Somewhat surprised as there are notices and signs dotted around the paths, on the hide doors and information to be found at the visitor centre. I think with other organisations such as W.W.T., RSPB and some county trusts you need to be a member or purchase a day ticket if you wish to use the hides or for entry.
In essence, only members should use the hides before and after the scheduled and permitted times, perhaps a donation to the NWT is in order when you next visit. Thanks for your honest admission.

Co-ordinated Little Egret Roost count

A co-ordinated Little Egret roost count is planned along the North Norfolk Coast for the weekend of Sept 30th/Oct 1st, I am keen to expand this years count to include other roosts around the county. Does anyone know of other roosts away from the coast and would be happy to count them? If anyone has details or can help out, please get in touch with me at [email protected]

Titchwell September 4th

Today's highlights

Spotted redshank – 1 on fresh marsh
Greenshank – 1 on fresh marsh
Common sandpiper – 3 on fresh marsh
Water rail - 6 on fresh marsh today
Bittern - 1 in flight from Patsy's reedbed towards Autumn Trail this morning
Kingfisher - 1 in pools by main path
Hobby - 1 hunting around the reserve today
Wheatear - 1 in off the sea this morning

An early warning of a change in the reporting of reserve records. After 15 years working for the RSPB as warden at Titchwell, I will be leaving the RSPB next week to take up a new role.
At present I don't know what will happen with the daily sightings but the team are working on a way to keep everyone informed about what is happening on the reserve.

Thank you for all your support and feedback over the years, it has been much appreciated.

Paul

An early warning of a change in the reporting of reserve records. After 15 years working for the RSPB as warden at Titchwell, I will be leaving the RSPB next week to take up a new role.......

Oh my goodness Paul! Never expected that! It will be sad not to see you around at Titchwell!!! Congratulations on your new role though! Where will you be working now?

Thank you for your long contribution of all the sightings to this thread – I'm sure it has helped many people over the years.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back