• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Firecrest on south west coast (1 Viewer)

Paul Longland

Currently holidaying in Brixham Devon and been reading some local reports of large numbers of firecrests including flocks of up to 60 birds in the area. Wondered if this was connected to the sudden influx of hawfinch, continental birds blown in by hurricane ophelia or normal for region at this time of year. I have seen a few myself in various hedgerows and trees over the last few days and wondered if anyone had an explanation for this.

I believe they've become relatively numerous at this time of year Paul, especially to the South and West, although the figures you mention perhaps....do seem like an increase over the norm?

Cheers

Currently holidaying in Brixham Devon and been reading some local reports of large numbers of firecrests including flocks of up to 60 birds in the area. Wondered if this was connected to the sudden influx of hawfinch, continental birds blown in by hurricane ophelia or normal for region at this time of year. I have seen a few myself in various hedgerows and trees over the last few days and wondered if anyone had an explanation for this.

Hello Paul,
very unusual numbers. Some autumns you can struggle to see one ( a bit like Goldcrests ). It has been speculated that they were part of a movement on the French coast that got blown across the channel last Saturday night/Sunday morning. As you know there have been good numbers in south Devon all week. Hope you have had a good holiday !
Perry

Certainly an extraordinary influx - 68 ringed on Portland Bill alone on the 15th October, 1 more than the previous ever highest annual ringing total, with an estimated 150 on the island -

http://portlandbirdobs.blogspot.co.uk/

In Cornwall too, a record year, with over 150 ringed at one site (Nanjizal) this autumn already.

As to from where ... ??! Near continent? And why?

Not being from this area wasn't sure if this was normal, although the numbers being reported locally did seem exceptional. My thought was continental migrants caught up in the storm as it seemed to be a sudden fall rather than a steady influx. Whatever the reason I was happy that one or two fell into my lap for a welcome year tick.:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back