• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sea Eagle Binos 8x30 BAK 4 (1 Viewer)

Barbican1987

United Kingdom
I inherited a pair of waterproof Sea Eagle Binos. 8x30 8.3deg FOV and BAK 4 optics. Nitrogen gas filled

I won these when I renewed my insurance premium on my last boat.

I Googled these but I can find no reference to the manufacturer.

I suspect they were manufactured by a well known maker but relabelled by the supplier for marketing purposes but not sure.

The optics are fine but unfortunately the grey paintwork ( they are two tone) around the eye pieces has gone sticky. I put some parcel tape over this area to avoid the stickyness getting onto my hands. Unfortunately when I peeled this off the printed name and details describing them has been partially removed. If I use a solvent to remove the stickyness, this will make them nameless.

I have done some research and I think these are Dorr Binos. They look remarkable similar to the Dorr Danubian 8x30 Aqua Porro Prism, except mine are BAK4 optics which I believe is superior to BAK 7.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2049.JPG
    IMG_2049.JPG
    174.7 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Hi and welcome to BF, we hope you enjoy the site.
I can't shed any light on your binos but I have moved your thread to a more appropriate forum on our site where you are likely to get a better response to your question.

cheers,
Andy

“They look remarkable similar to the Dorr Danubian 8x30 Aqua Porro Prism, except mine are BAK4 optics which I believe is superior to BAK 7.”

It is a common misconception that BaK4 is a “better” glass that Bk7 (there is no “BAK7” in the Schott catalog). This is bandied about by those who are not familiar with optical engineering and the various glass types. Bk7 (a highly refined glass) is the predominant crown glassed used in photo visual instrument. Having a higher index of refraction, Bak4 is “better” in short focal ratio instruments for off-axis light throughout and most Porro prism instruments operate at around f/4—a short focal ratio. :cat:

Just a thought,

Bill

Last edited:
“They look remarkable similar to the Dorr Danubian 8x30 Aqua Porro Prism, except mine are BAK4 optics which I believe is superior to BAK 7.”

It is a common misconception that BaK4 is a “better” glass that Bk7 (there is no “BAK7” in the Schott catalog). This is bandied about by those who are not familiar with optical engineering and the various glass types. Bk7 (a highly refined glass) is the predominant crown glassed used in photo visual instrument. Having a higher index of refraction, Bak4 is “better” in short focal ratio instruments for off-axis light throughout and most Porro prism instruments operate at around f/4—a short focal ratio. 🐱

Just a thought,

Bill
A belated Thank-you Bill. I sold these eventually but your comprehensive reply was very useful. I have a selection of binos now and understand the technical aspects better now. I bought a pair of Vortex Spitfire 7.5x32 Second hand which I am pleased with.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back