• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Highlands and Islands Thread (3 Viewers)

Hi Dean
Thanks for that, I'll definitely let you know when I'm down. Is there a local on-line bird group for the area (we have 'Orkbird' - a YahooGroup up here in the Isles) where local sightings of interest are posted?

Spent last night on a freezing moor to be ready for the dawn show on the Glenlivet Estate. The highlight - a Goshawk landed 15 feet from my hide at about 6:15 scattering the lek. The lowlight - not being able to swing the lens round in the hide to get a shot.

Just sorting through some shots now :t:

Attachments

• bg face on800.jpg
    bg face on800.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 101
Things now full of life up here. Today's haul is typical of late;

2 x Grasshopper Warbler
5 x Redstart
3 x Ring Ouzel
1 x Osprey
4 x Cuckoo

10+ Wheatear
20+ Willow Warbler

Looks like spring has finally brought some goodies in.

Things now full of life up here. Today's haul is typical of late;

2 x Grasshopper Warbler
5 x Redstart
3 x Ring Ouzel
1 x Osprey
4 x Cuckoo

10+ Wheatear
20+ Willow Warbler

Looks like spring has finally brought some goodies in.

glad things are getting better up there marcus,hopefully be in full flow when im up there in just under two weeks time

Incredible sight of a pod of at least 60 Pilot Whales today off the Souters, Cromarty, last seen about 5pm heading in to the Moray Firth towards Chanonry.

Lightning strikes twice

Went for a small walk in the woods to catch up with the OH after a mega busy week.

And what do you know we see not one, but two Capers :t:

Last edited:
Hi everyone , Heading for the Highlands again at the end of the week...can anyone recommend where I might see assorted warblers ?

A big area Col LOL whereabouts are you heading for?

Anyway - I'll set Taynish off as a starter.

D

Hi everyone , Heading for the Highlands again at the end of the week...can anyone recommend where I might see assorted warblers ?

Willow warblers everywhere with trees - commonest warbler by a distance
Sedge and Grasshopper at Insh Marshes (listen for gropper at ruthven barracks at dusk)
Wood warbler, chiffchaff, blackcap and garden warbler at Killiecrankie National Trust
Whitethroats in coastal scrub along Moray Firth, Munlochy bay on Black Isle

HTH

Gordon

Hi COL then you could stop of at Killiecrankie (this article is for the reserve on the other side of the river; the National Trust site is on the old A9) and Insh Marshes en route, as Gordon suggests.

They would both make lovely lunch/coffee/tea stops with a break from roaring traffic.

D

I feel the opus page for Killiecrankie needs to be changed. NTS site is where to go.
I saw several wood warblers and a pied flycatcher there a week ago.

Rob

Hi Delia , I'm staying by North Kessock , Inverness . I've been seeing Whitethroats by the dozens lately so I was hoping to encounter anything else doing a bit of warbling .

Given your location I would say that Fairy Glen must be worth a look. Up to three Groppers singing at Loch Ruthven. Also Gropper at Ness Islands. Wood Warbler at Loch An Eileen entrance.

Go out at dawn to some likely habitat and you should bag a load of songsters. Tree Pipit and Redstart are everywhere at the moment

I feel the opus page for Killiecrankie needs to be changed. NTS site is where to go.
I saw several wood warblers and a pied flycatcher there a week ago.

Rob

Thanks Rob. Further to our PM discussion, I'll do some more research and change the article, using the NTS car park as the base.

The original article covered what was an RSPB reserve.

D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back