• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lost Land of the Tiger camera traps (1 Viewer)

Three weeks with your new toy, this thread is painly short of example images! Hint, hint.

hey it's only 2 weeks, and I didn't have much chance last week. Don't like leaving it out in the woods at the weekend and someone else has my key for the local school... excuses, excuses. It'll have to make do with the garden tonight.

When you get yours we'll have a constant supply of more interesting things than half foxes scarpering through my garden anyway. ;)

When you get yours we'll have a constant supply of more interesting things than half foxes scarpering through my garden anyway. ;)

Bum views of Raccoon Dog, blurry Beaver, a fudge of some skulking martin, perhaps a left trotter of of a Boar from the back end ...can't see my efforts beating half a Fox, a squidget of a Badger and a hungry Wood Mouse, Slater included. You have plenty of time to stun us all before I maybe enter the fray.

Last edited:
Bum views of Raccoon Dog, blurry Beaver, a fudge of some skulking martin, perhaps a left trotter of of a Boar from the back end ...can't see my efforts beating half a Fox, a squidget of Badger and hungry Wood Mouse, Slater included. You have plenty of time to stun us all before I maybe enter the fray.

squidget?!

squidget?!

From your favourite Urban Dictionary ...

"a wee fat person" and "Always trying to have fun but sometimes can be quite a prankster. Can be annoying at times, but usually a squidget is cool".

Badgers are podgy things half the time up to no good, but fun nonetheless, no?

(there should have been an 'a' before 'Badger' I grant you, plus before 'Wood Mouse', duly changed specially for you ;) )

Last edited:
Presumably these things work even better by day, yes? Post up any daytime shots too please - even just moggies wandering past.

From your favourite Urban Dictionary ...

"a wee fat person" and "Always trying to have fun but sometimes can be quite a prankster. Can be annoying at times, but usually a squidget is cool".

Badgers are podgy things half the time up to no good, but fun none the less, no?

Actually the perfect description of a badger! And I learnt a new word.

Top marks.

I have gone against all my principles (well, one small one) and baited with peanuts tonight. This is for entirely scientific reasons of course.

Report back for results tomorrow.

I've been using one for a couple of weeks.

I think your IR pool of light is a little lower in the picture and a bit more pronounced than mine. I bought the XLT with the viewer which is incredibly useful for lining up the camera.

I've tried cutting out a diffuser from a tupperware box in the hope of evening out the pool of light from the LEDs but it didnt work. I havent found the correct material yet. Incidentally I've found its best not to get too close to the potential subject and to point the cam down more than you would think. I made a couple of door-stop type wedges to help point it down.

I wonder if this might help - http://www.soundmastersdirect.co.uk/light-frost-diffuser-gel-sheets-253

One reason why I don't like to bait: you end up with 2 hours footage of foxes eating peanuts to get through

One reason why it's useful: you see everything that's passing through, I think I got 6 different foxes last night. The tails seem quite a good way to tell them apart.

One had me convinced he was a badger in the thumbnail, but turned out just a little fox with a particularly dark stripe down his face.

Attached are 5 foxes......

1. big fox
2. kink in tail fox
3. been in the wars fox
4. limpy fox (had a sore back leg)
5. svelte fox

Attachments

• fox garden 1 bf.jpg
    fox garden 1 bf.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 175
  • fox garden 2 bf.jpg
    fox garden 2 bf.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 174
  • fox garden 3 bf.jpg
    fox garden 3 bf.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 174
  • fox garden 4 bf.jpg
    fox garden 4 bf.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 197
  • fox garden 5 bf.jpg
    fox garden 5 bf.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 181
6. kink at top of tail fox
7. and a magpie/squirrel confrontation

enjoy

Attachments

• fox garden 6 bf.jpg
    fox garden 6 bf.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 198
  • magpie squirrel garden bf.jpg
    magpie squirrel garden bf.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 231
Wow they're great Laura. Love the descriptions you've given them too.

That squirrel is superb:-O

D

Thanks Delia

also these are all taken as screen grabs of the video on full screen, control plus c then paste into image software. The stills seem to come out a bit blurry sometimes.

Do you know why, just a function of the type of camera or a duff operator ;) ?

Using my extensive technical knowledge, I suspect it has something to do with slow shutter speed, which you can't change. It's particularly blurry on things that are moving fast.

You get better stills from the video and more interesting footage, so I probably won't be using the stills setting much. The only time I think you'd really need it is if you were leaving the camera out for a long time and were worried about memory space, a 1 minute video is about 22 mb.

Presumably these things work even better by day, yes? Post up any daytime shots too please - even just moggies wandering past.

Most of the time they do but it depends on the light. If the picture is taken into the sun you get some dreadful ones.l

Here is a moggie wandering past and one of same cat cropped.

I got my first camera about 7 months ago and I just love it. So much in fact that I've now bought another one.

TS

Attachments

• Cat small.JPG
    Cat small.JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 236
  • Cat small cropped.JPG
    Cat small cropped.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 277
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back