• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Reykjavic early March (1 Viewer)

James

I'm losing it!
Hi folks

Just got a chance of a trip for the first week in March 2014. Any local knowledge what I might expect?
Would love Harlequin Duck as I missed it in the States.

James

Hi James

Harlequin Duck is rather easy to see near Reykjavík if you have access to a hire car. Send me a PM so I can send you maps of easy locations for Harlequin.

In addition to the sites I sent you by mail James you might consider visiting the fjords of Kolgrafafjörður and Grundafjörður in western Iceland, if conditions are still good (depends on the presence of herring). A Swedish birder contacted me yesterday and said that there were approximately 25,000 Gannets feeding in the fjord yesterday (which is only 4-5 miles long), as well as thousands of white-winged gulls, 25 Killer Whales, several White-tailed Eagles, a Gyr Falcon, a drake King Eider and more besides. There are Harlequins in that area for sure too. It takes 2-3 hours to drive to that area and the scenery is great (if you have non-birders in tow).

Don't know if you "need" them for your list, but hang out for a little while on top of most any seaside cliff on a breezy day, and you'll have fulmars whizzing past a few feet away, quite a sight. Locals should be able to steer you to the larger colonies for the full experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back