• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Yorkeys Knob list (1 Viewer)

Dom F

This is a complimentary thread to Chowchilla's Cairns City list. I live in one of the northern suburbs of Cairns called Yorkeys Knob, which as my wife is a midwife has lead to many crude jokes (the Residents Association has printed T-shirts and stubby coolers with the moto Yorkeys Knob bigger than Moby's Dick!).
Yorkeys is one the coast and my area encompasses a range of habitats from mangrove swamp, sand dunes, a couple of brackish lagoons and a small area of rank grasssland. It is I think approximately the same size as Chowies patch.
This is my 2014 list of everything recorded within my chosen area.

1 Olive-backed Sunbird
2 Masked Lapwing
3 Helmeted Friarbird
4 Spotted Dove
5 Varied Triller
6 Rainbow Lorikeet
7 Spangled Drongo
8 Yellow Oriole
9 Scaly-breasted Lorikeet
10 Common Myna
11 Aus Figbird
12 Bar-shouldered Dove
13 Sulphur Crested Cockatoo
13 Nutmeg Mannikin
14 Mistletoebird
15 Black Butcherbird
16 Australian White Ibis
17 Magpie Lark
18 Double-eyed Fig Parrot
19 Silver Gull
20 Osprey
21 Peaceful Dove
22 Welcome Swallow
23 Pacific Black Duck
24 Brown Backed Honeyeater
25 Laughing Kookaburra
26 White-breasted Woodswallow
27 Torresian Imperial Pigeon
28 Aus Swiftlet
29 Bush Stone Curlew
30 Aus Pipit
31 Red-tailed Black Cockatoo
32 Crested Tern
33 Brush Cuckoo
34 Chestnut Breasted Mannakin
35 House Sparrow
36 White-bellied Cuckooshrike
37 Willie Wagtail
38 Metallic Starling
39 Rainbow Bee-eater

Good to see you joining in Dom!:t:

Still several 'common' birds on your list that I haven't seen yet. Swiftlets drift over my place in their thousands every day and yet I still haven't added them this year. Will head out again later to try and bolster the list.

43 Varied Triller
44 Channel billed Cuckoo
45 Pheasant Coucal
46 Little Bronze Cuckoo
47 Brahminy Kite
48 Koel

I need all of those except the Triller! I'm especially confused about the absence of Cuckoos around these here parts. Plenty of Brush Cuckoos calling but sweet FA else.

I need all of those except the Triller! I'm especially confused about the absence of Cuckoos around these here parts. Plenty of Brush Cuckoos calling but sweet FA else.

Last year I had a couple of Oriental Cuckoo's feeding near the golf course but no Channel billeds. This year seen three CbC but no Oriental.

49 Whimbrel

With a monsoonal low slowly moving towards Cairns now is the time to search for the unexpected wind blown seabird. Yesterday at 4.30pm my aimless gazing at the sky was rewarded with a group of 9 Lesser Frigatebirds drifting over my house. This morning after some more rain and during the exceedingly high tides I had a look at the flooded areas right on the edge of Yorkeys and very productive it was too!
Several additions to the year list..
53 Lesser Frigatebird - 9 over my house
54 Dollarbird
55 White-bellied Sea Eagle
56 Striated Heron
57 Marsh Sandpiper
58 Sharp tailed Sandpiper
59 Comb crested Jacana
60 Royal Spoonbill
61 Torresian Crow
62 Black fronted Dotterel
63 Pied Stilt
64 Little Tern
65 Pacific Black Duck
66 Buff banded Rail
67 Magpie Goose
68 Sacred Kingfisher
69 Darter

Very nice! There's a few there I'm not confident of getting this year and I've had zero pelagics so far. I think you're ahead of me now.;)

A few additions today - I had put Pacific Black Duck in twice so my Darter was actually species 68.

69 Crimson Finch
70 Eastern Curlew
71 Fairy Martin
72 Mistletoebird
73 Straw necked Ibis

Last edited:
Have been busy and not able to get out into my "block" but here are the last few
74 Intermediate Egret
75 Little Black Cormorant
76 Plumed Whistling Duck
77 Brown Goshawk
78 Little Corella - 4 very unexpected as they are restricted here to the drier areas of the Tablelands, not seen them on the coastal plain before

Birds of prey have been notable by their absence in the last few weeks - the local breeding Whistling Kites and Pacific Baza have disappeared and I have only seen one Black Kite over Yorkeys this year. We have the possibility of a storm by the end of the week so hopefully a few things may get blown in.

The Little Corellas are a really good record; not confident of getting Plumed Whistling Duck, as I usually only get Wanderings at the Lakes but you never know. Got a Grey Goshawk this morning after a long absence.

Have got a little behind with this - not that I've got much to add..
80 Torresian Crow
81 Radjah Shelduck
82 Jabiru
83 Black-fronted Dotterel
84 Whistling Kite

The best birds weren't even a year tick - three Lesser Frigatebirds swooping low over the house on Saturday; with the weather forecast we have for the next week or so I am hoping that there may be a few unexpected additions to the list shortly (that is we still have a house at the end of it!)

Seabirds have been the order of the day today - mostly from the comfort of my own deck, the seawatching has been brilliant (especially given that I am atleast 1km from the coast and face in the opposite direction.
Highlights today include 48 Lesser Frigatebirds, 25+ bar tailed godwits and several crested terns. From my lists point of view have had a few additions
85 Common Tern (house tick)
86 Sooty Tern - at least 22 def over house and another 10+ Bridled / Sooty that were too quick to ID (also a house tick)
87 Long-tailed Skua - an adult with full tail streamers (a house and Oz tick and a bit of a mega here)
88 Common Noddy - my personal highlight as I love these birds, 3 in the space of four hours (a house tick!)
89 Lesser Crested Tern (house tick)

Wonder what tomorrow will bring - hope able to enjoy it but winds are picking up all the time!

Last edited:
"Tomorrow" has dawned and it is far calmer, although there is quite a breeze at the moment. There has certainly been a movement of birds back north, including five Channel-billed Cuckoo's, although in the case of the majority of the seabirds this has been done a long way off shore - with the scope can see at least 30+ Lesser Frigates moving around and a fair few terns that are too far to be confident of their ID. That said have had a few frigtes over the house including one Great Frigatebird.
90 Great Frigatebird
91 Aus Kite (Black shouldered Kite)

Not everything has survived the blow and there have been at least three grounded Sooty Terns in Yorkeys and I am aware of two grounded White Terns in the wider area - one approx 15km from me!
Will be interesting to see what else is found over the next couple of days when I can get out of Yorkeys (roads flooded at moment)

Another interesting day in my block. From the house the highlight was an immature White-bellied Sea Eagle but from my lists point of view a walk along the beach with the children was more productive with two very co-operative Beach Thick-knee and a Pied Oystercatcher
92 Beach Thick-knee
93 Pied Oystercatcher

Attachments

• beach thick knee 14 4 14 (16).JPG
    beach thick knee 14 4 14 (16).JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 97
  • beach thick knee 14 4 14 (12).JPG
    beach thick knee 14 4 14 (12).JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 84
Have noticed I have put Varied Triller in twice but forgotten to add Leaden Flycathcer...
93 Leaden Fly
94 Pacific Baza

Starting to get tricky now going to have to put some effort in to get many more

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back