• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flycatcher and raptor, the Netherlands (1 Viewer)

jobbuq

I think the first one is spotted flycatcher? Or is it a juvenile stonechat?
The raptor is probably a common buzzard but it looked a bit different so I wondered if it could be a honey buzzard.The picture of the raptor was very dark so I tried to brighten it.
Both pictures were taken last week.

Attachments

• DSCN0613.jpg
    DSCN0613.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 144
  • DSCN0639.jpg
    DSCN0639.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 151
First one I'm thinking juvenile European Stonechat

Second, I'd go for Common Buzzard; the bill is too heavy for Honey Buzzard.

The first is a rather wet juvenile Spotted Flycatcher (broad bill and finely streaked forehead, as well as double wingband).

The second.....I can't make up my mind, but definitely either Common Buzzard or Marsh Harrier;)

Peter

Still looks like juv Stonechat to me with those wingbars and long legs

Of course you are right!

I was too sloppy, and the mere glance I took of the - uncannily Spotted Flycatcher-like - face, made me momentarily blind.......

Thanks so much for actually looking at the whole bird;)

The long legs are a no-brainer. As Sandy Posy once sang: "I take it back, didn't mean the words I said...."

:eat:peter

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back