• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lovebirds in Phoenix (2 Viewers)

Jeff Hopkins

Just another...observer
United States
I'm going to be making a quick stop in Phoenix next weekend on the way home from a pelagic trip in San Diego. Anybody know any reliable locations (stake-outs) for Rosy-faced Lovebirds?

I'll be staying right near the airport and I'll have a car, so I have flexibility.

TIA,

Jeff

Yeah, yeah. Everybody's a comic.

There's a few thousand of them hanging about. I'd prefer to get a wild one Friday afternoon, so I can go twitch the Rose-throated Becard down near Nogales on Saturday.

Last edited:
Gilbert Water Ranch was reliable for me, although it's been awhile since I have even ventured into AZ. But both of my visits there netted my lovebirds, and it's a fantastic overall birding spot (There was a overwintering Streak-backed Oriole that spent a couple of winters there, and AZ's first Baikal teal showed up there a few winters ago as well).

Gilbert Water Ranch ... a fantastic overall birding spot

I agree. I went there a few years ago. Although I haven't seen many lovebirds noted in recent eBird reports from there. Maybe the locals don't bother even noticing them when there's so much else to look at. ;)

For those interested, I met a Phoenix local during my pelagic trip off San Diego. He recommended Encanto Park, specifically the entrance off 15th Ave. near the golf course clubhouse. He said they're easier early in the AM or later in the afternoon and they tend to disperse into the neighborhood during mid-day, but they might be there anytime.

I drove there right after my flight landed, pulled into the parking lot at about 1:45, and immediately heard the lovebirds. There were at least 8-10 of them there - some in the palms and some in the brushier trees. I got great, close looks.

So...success.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back