• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sri Lanka (1 Viewer)

scarista

Will be visiting Sri Lanka later this year, would like to hear from anyone who may have been birding there or knows of any good websites.

scarista said:
Will be visiting Sri Lanka later this year, would like to hear from anyone who may have been birding there or knows of any good websites.

Great place, good birding and very nice people. However, all of the commentators are forecasting that civil war is highly likely to break out again this year, despite the fact that the only ones who want it are the various politicos. This would mean that you would be wise restricting yourself to the South and West.

If it is a birding holiday then I would advise that you use the services of a local guide and driver - Baurs or Jetwing can organise percisely what you want. You specify exactly what you want to see, where you want to go and the type of accomodation that you want and they will sort it all out with no problems.

For flights from Manchester I would recommend Emirates for price and comfort.

HTH

Not really a birding holiday as such but wondered what we might expect to see around the hotel area in the South West of the country. As for the trouble, yes we are monitoring it closely. Will take your advise about the guide/driver as I am sure we will spend at least one day with our bins.

Thanks

In order tp pick up some seriously good life birds I would suggest that you arrange to spend 2-3 days away from your hotel.

The best place to visit would be Sinharaja rainforest where the accommodation will be basic but the setting is fantastic. Once you've encountered a feeding flock of mixed specis you will be totally hooked, believe me. Sites that may be a little more accessible would include Ratnapura and Bodhinagala - once again at least one overnight stay is necessary to get the best out of it.

Unfortunately I don't think that you will see an awful lot just around the coast particularly in the South West, but you might be lucky. If you were North of Colombo (e.g. Negombo) then there are a couple of sites well worth visiting that are easily accessible during the day. Let me know if I can help any further.

When are you going, by the way?

tips on thrustworthy guides in Sri Lanka?

I will be visiting Sri Lanka in may for 4 weeks. I want to do it independently. However I need to book a compulsory guide for Yala and Sinharaja and maybe for other destinations too. I don't mind spending some money on a driver and/or guide now and then. Does anyone have reccomendations? I am looking for a guide who knows his (or her) bit about wildlife in general and birds in particular. For the normal drives (places I can't get to by bus) I do not expect a naturalist ofcourse, just an easy-going driver: I don't like to be rushed or directed to hotels I don't want to stay etc. etc.
I am also looking for a nice place to stay when getting of the plane. I arrive at 5 a.m. and Colombo does not really attract me (especially after a tiring flight). Does anyone have a tip on a place to stay for a few days - not too far from the airport? Say, not more than 2 hours by car? Can a driver pick us up at the airport? I prefer a quiet place, friendly and preferably with potential birding nearby..I just hope to find some dreamlocations in Sri Lanka.. I know, that's an awful lot of questions...sorry guys.. just hoping to find some answers. I would be very greatful if you have any.

Last edited:
scarista said:
. As for the trouble, yes we are monitoring it closely.

Would not worry about the conflict ...even at its worst, it was not an issue in the areas birders/tourists visit (except occasional bombs in Colombo). All the endemics and main birding areas are in the south and west. Sri Lanka is fantastic, its people friendly, crime near enough non-existant and birding great.

Easy to do independant ...travelled the country without guides all on public transport, didn't miss anything (bar the 'new' owl ...which I don't think any guide will honestly guarantee you). Only guides I took were the compulsory ones at two big game reserves in the southern parts of the country - arranged on the spot and had no problem. Didn't take a guide at Sinharaja ...or more exact, paid the official fee for a guide, then went in when the reserve opened without the guide ...guide didn't want to start til a good hour after sunrise. About midday, the guide found me, but I was having a wail of a time and didn't want this guide, so continued to wander around on my own. Left reserve in afternoon and re-entered later, they saw I had paid for guide, so were happy for me to enter, regardless that my guide had gone back to the village.

Kitulgala is brilliant, don't skip it in favour of other sites. Millions of leeches at both Kitulgala and Sinharaja ...'orrible little blighters, you'll be suck dry! One time, went out without leech socks and spent a rather painful few minutes getting cracking photos of the coucal ...next few minutes were only pulling off possibly as many as 50 of them! Pure disgusting! :)

grapevine said:
Does anyone have a tip on a place to stay for a few days - not too far from the airport? Say, not more than 2 hours by car? Can a driver pick us up at the airport? I prefer a quiet place, friendly and preferably with potential birding nearby...

Only time I didn't take public transport, I arrived similarly early and rather than hit Colombo, took a taxi direct to Kitugala - perhaps three hours, maybe a little more - not very expensive and you're in the heart of some of the best birding in the country. Several endemics in the lodge garden - the coucal, frogmouth, owlet, etc, etc.

as the boy Stratford says...

get out there on the buses

no problem at all

wonderful place, wonderful people

great food, great value, great beer, great birds

Kitulagala is the dogs - stay at Sisira's River Lodge. He was a chef in London and cooked me THE best biryani I've had, by a mile. With Tawny Frogouth flitting about and Green-billed Coucal nearby

In Colombo I stayed at Mrs Barabara Setupaty's on coast in south (see Rough Guide) Lovely airy place near good eating places and lots of cheap cds and t shirts! Don't know how the Tsunami messed with it though. Might not be there now... but i sure hope so, they were lovely.

Tim

Last edited:
Sri Lankans are desperate to get the economy back on track and visitors are made to feel more than welcome.
If you get chance, take the Kandy train from Columbo (an experience in itself)and stop off at Kurunegala. I can reccommend the Kandyan Reach Hotel, stayed there a few times. The surrounding area has some great locations and fantastic birding, all within walking distance.

Martin's is the place to stay at Sinharaja...

right on the spot, bit of a walk to get up to but once there the views and birds are amazing.

Tawny Frogmouth, Sri Lanka Jungle fowl, Spot-winged Thrush, Ceylon Scaly Thrush can all be seen on the property although the Scaly Thrush is tricky and skulky. Chestnut backed Owlet is found nearby but very tricky but even I managed to get a digi-bin pic.

His food is amazing (5-7 plate meals in the evening) and very reasonable, plus he knows the calls. Very nice guy.

PM me for specific details

Tim

Good info, thanks everybody. I only managed to buy GM Henry's classic Guide to the Birds of Sri Lanka. I hope I will manage with this guide. The Field Guide to The Birds of Sri Lanka by John Harrison is not for sale here at the moment (and very expensive too!)

grapevine said:
Good info, thanks everybody. I only managed to buy GM Henry's classic Guide to the Birds of Sri Lanka. I hope I will manage with this guide. The Field Guide to The Birds of Sri Lanka by John Harrison is not for sale here at the moment (and very expensive too!)

You can buy the Harrison book much more cheaply in bookshops in Colombo and Kandy. I boght it there in February afterthe RSPB shop at Titchwell wanted a ridiculous price for it.

Steve

I better (try to) buy it in Kandy then, thanks. Does anyone have the adress or telephonenummer of the Sisira's River Lodge in Kitulgala? About how much is a room there? (We have 2 Sri-Lanka guidebookes but Sisira's isn't mentioned in either one of them..).

And does anyone know what the current situation in Anaradhupura is? Is it too northern to be safe? Many questions...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back