• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Next for Western Palearctic? (1 Viewer)

Last few have been in T'Egypt (African Mourning Dove, Bruce's Green Pigeon) so I reckon it'll be another sub-saharan.

Raptors a good bet? How about Brown Snake-Eagle, African Harrier-hawk, Grasshopper Buzzard, Wahlberg's Eagle, Martial Eagle?

cheers, alan

Recent paper in Dutch Birding suggested that Western Sahara may indeed have some striking Sahel species - like Lizard Buzzard!

I wonder how was the last time any birder visited Tibesti and similar isolated mountains in Sahara - which once had Arabian and Nubian Bustard, Pygmy Sunbird, Anteater-Chat etc.

Working on the assumption* that anything that can reach Greenland can reach Iceland, then these might be candidates:

Emperor Goose (1 Greenlandic record) - good luck getting that accepted in Europe.
Virginia Rail (1)
American Avocet (1)
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher (2)
Olive-sided Flycatcher (1)
Eastern Kingbird (4)
Marsh Wren (1)!
Blue-headed Vireo (1)
Orange-crowned Warbler (1)
Nashville Warbler (2)
Pine Warbler (1)
Mourning Warbler (3)
Yellow-breasted Chat (3)
Rusty Blackbird (4)

*Might be an assumption too far as nearly all records are west coast and the hulking great 3,000 metre high ice sheet might be a bigger obstacle than the sea.

Last edited:
Given the drastic decline of Rusty Blackbird in the last decade your odds of getting one are getting much more remote.

I thought Yellow-belled Flycatcher had already shown up in Britain in recent years?

I thought Yellow-belled Flycatcher had already shown up in Britain in recent years?

We've had 2 empidonax flycatchers in the last few years, the first in 2008 in Cornwall was narrowed down to Willow or Alder and it was trapped and thought to be Alder but the BOU are still discussing the record.

The second was last year in Norfolk and initially was thought to be a Yellow Bellied but after some more deliberation I think most observers came down on the Alder side again.

Of Edward's list I'd say that these species are the most likely:

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher
Olive-sided Flycatcher
Eastern Kingbird
Blue-headed Vireo
Mourning Warbler

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back