• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help regarding Kowa lens (1 Viewer)

Hello All,

This may not be the right place to ask at all, but I am having some trouble identifying a lens that I got hold of recently.

It is a Kowa 77mm lens. It says 1:1.1/77 on the front. I assume that means a focal ration of 77/1.1. I was hoping to be able to adapt this to a regular SLR (Nikon) for use as an extreme close-up setup. This has nothing to do with birding (sorry). I am only asking here because all my searches about Kowa lenses resulted in Kowa spotting scopes with 77mm objectives.
What I have is not a scope, its only a lens with a metal barrel, is about 4 inch long and weighs around 3-4 lb I suppose. It has a screw-thread mount of some sort at the rear. Anyone know exactly what this is and what the mount type is?

Thanks very much.

Welcome to birdforum from all the staff here.

I've moved this into the general photography forum...as it may attract attention from general photographers who may recall Kowa's older photographic equipment.
I know Kowa used to make some large format (panoramics?) and other odd bits. Maybe a T2 mount on the end of this item? ....4 inches long and weighs 3-4lb is some going, is it made of lead? ;)
Regards,
Andy

The lens, as I said is 77/1.1. So thats big glass. Plus its 4 inch of metal barrel. I guess that adds up to pretty heavy. However its certainly no camera lens. The screw thread is on the main barrel (around 70mm diameter), but the rearmost element itself is much smaller and does not seem to have any mount around it. I forgot to mention that its a fixed focus lens with no sort of controls on it and no diaphragm. It must have formed part of some larger optical system, though I cannot guess what.

Yes Brian, I think that is highly likely. In that case, any idea what kind of screw mount these would have and if there's any adaptors of any sort for such mounts?

Of course I can get photos. But I haven't figured out how to post a photo yet. Is it possible to insert a picture in these threads? Oh wait, I see an attachment option at the bottom. Then I will have to wait until evening when I get back home and can get pictures from a digicam.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back