• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great Tit (1 Viewer)

abp

Hi Guys,
Here a picture of this beautiful bird which I took early this morning with my new Minolta Z3. I have cropped it using PSP 8, but the 12x otical zoom has not been altered. I bought this camera for £289 from a well known shop where I live and was £60 cheaper than another well known shop in Liverpool.

I would like to know thich is the best mode for shooting at maximum zoom, and the the Anti shake seems to work well. I have a lot to learn as regarding using the different moders on the camera.

I would finally like to thank two people, firstly Andrew Bright for recomending the second person, which I would also like to thank and that person is Nigel Blake who again stated that this was the best camera for my needs, so thanks guys!.

Any comments or advice would be gratefully accepted on this subject.

Kindest Regards

Brian Pemberton

Attachments

• Pict0012.jpg
    Pict0012.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:
Well done, Brian. I wish I could say my first bird photos were as good as this ... then again, that was in the days of 35mm film so I presumed they were good shots until I had them processed ;)
I noticed that you were using aperture priority.... very good. Shutter-speed was 1/25th of a second, which isn't great for a sharp image, even image stabilisation has it's limits. I presume it was fairly cloudy when you took this shot?

I'm not familiar with any of the functions of this camera... I'm presuming that the aperture (f number) was at it's lowest setting (f4.5 for this shot). It maybe that f4.5 is the lowest f number you can achieve with your lens at maximum zoom... but if you could reduce it, you would get a faster shutter-speed.
Still, it's impressive for 1/25th of a second...without I.S. it would've been just a blur.

Keep up the good work.
Regards,
Andy

GreatTit

Andy Bright said:
Well done, Brian. I wish I could say my first bird photos were as good as this ... then again, that was in the days of 35mm film so I presumed they were good shots until I had them processed ;)
I noticed that you were using aperture priority.... very good. Shutter-speed was 1/25th of a second, which isn't great for a sharp image, even image stabilisation has it's limits. I presume it was fairly cloudy when you took this shot?

I'm not familiar with any of the functions of this camera... I'm presuming that the aperture (f number) was at it's lowest setting (f4.5 for this shot). It maybe that f4.5 is the lowest f number you can achieve with your lens at maximum zoom... but if you could reduce it, you would get a faster shutter-speed.
Still, it's impressive for 1/25th of a second...without I.S. it would've been just a blur.

Keep up the good work.
Regards,
Andy

Thanks for your reply, I am not sure what aperture the Z3 goes to when fully zoomed, I think it is f/8.0. I have put another picture on same thread has this one. Please see John Cantelo thread in the Camera and Photography section.

Kindest Regards

Brian Pemberton

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back