• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski 8x25 Pocket CL (1 Viewer)

dmcharg

Hi,

New member here. Had a few binoculars over the years but recently decided to pick up the Swarovski 8x25 and i am well impressed. The build quality is just excellent and i can't complain about the optics really excellent. I wanted a really small pair of binoculars that i can take hiking, mountain biking etc etc so compact and light weight was important.

I wear glasses and have no problems using these little binoculars. I considered the 8x32 but they just aren't small enough to fit in a small back pack when i am mountain biking. Last year i was all over scotland mountain biking and i really missed having a pair of binoculars to take in some of the great scenery ( see attached pic ). I like to stop and enjoy the views and a small pair of binoculars is ideal.

I've tried a few other compacts and wasn't impressed but this is one cracking little binocular.

David.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    442.5 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Hi,

New member here. Had a few binoculars over the years but recently decided to pick up the Swarovski 8x25 and i am well impressed. The build quality is just excellent and i can't complain about the optics really excellent. I wanted a really small pair of binoculars that i can take hiking, mountain biking etc etc so compact and light weight was important.

I wear glasses and have no problems using these little binoculars. I considered the 8x32 but they just aren't small enough to fit in a small back pack when i am mountain biking. Last year i was all over scotland mountain biking and i really missed having a pair of binoculars to take in some of the great scenery.

I've tried a few other compacts and wasn't impressed but this is one cracking little binocular.

David.
IMO it is the best compact available. Try the Swarovski 8x30 CL though. It is a little bigger but a little more comfortable to use because you don't have to adjust the IPD every time you use it and it has a bigger exit pupil and it is quite a bit brighter.

They are definitely the best compacts i have tried and its been a long search. Haven't tried the 8x30CL but i was well impressed with the 8x32 field pro. I tried the 10x50 field pro as well and man are these a stunning optic. Decided to sell a lot of other kit i.e cameras/binoculars and simplify my setup. The 8x25 pocket + 10x50 will give me everything i need.

They are definitely the best compacts i have tried and its been a long search. Haven't tried the 8x30CL but i was well impressed with the 8x32 field pro. I tried the 10x50 field pro as well and man are these a stunning optic. Decided to sell a lot of other kit i.e cameras/binoculars and simplify my setup. The 8x25 pocket + 10x50 will give me everything i need.

DC,

Welcome to BF! :hi:

Very Nice combo. I really liked the pocket CL 8x25 (to me, easily the best out there), but had issues gaining a quick sight picture. The CL 8x30 is easier with a more relaxed view, but then looked through the 8x32 SV's...rest is history. My 1-2 optical instruments are the 8x32SV and 10x50SV (for now)! 3:)

Ted

So i had a good chance to test out my new 8x25 Pocket CL over the weekend. Thoughts as follows.

Optically i can't fault these little binoculars, at only 25mm of aperture i wasn't expecting them to be as bright as they are and compared to other pocket binoculars i have tried they are substantially better. This is my first pair of Swarovski binoculars but in the past have owned various Zeiss and Nikon. In someways the view in the little 8x25 reminds me of the first time i looked thru a pair of Nikon Superior E 10x42 i used to own, nice and bright and just a wonderful clarity to the view. I had to remind myself i really was looking thru an 8x25mm binocular.

The full fov just seems wonderfully clear, i don't feel like the there is any part of the field of view where i am seeing any optical distortions or otherwise that detract from the view.

In terms of eye comfort i wear glasses so having enough eye relief to wear with glasses was important. No complaints about eye relief, i can easily take in the full fov. In terms of blackout or hitting the sweet spot i find a key factor is getting the inter pupil distance correct, generally if i am experiencing difficulty just a slight change fixes it. I find eye placement whilst wearing glasses easier with the 8x25 than it was with the Nikon Superior E 10x42 i used to own which is one of the main reason i sold it along with size.

The eyecups are nice and the slightly soft rubber is perfect and doesn’t cause me any issues when wearing glasses, I generally have the eyecups turned all the way down.

Nothing to complain about in terms of build quality, whilst being a small binocular these little binoculars are extremely well built. The hinges for folding the binoculars are just the right tension, not too stiff or slack.

In terms of focusing, its butter smooth and i have no problem focusing on distant or closer objects or chasing between. When focusing on objects that are closer there really is a wonderful clarity so i am sure i will enjoy this in the summer months for insects, butterflies etc etc.

In the hands despite being a small binocular these binoculars are very comfortable, some of the pocket binoculars i have tried in the past just felt too small and just didn't feel right in the hands. The focus knob is small but its perfect and fits my hands just right.

They come with a small case and its a snug fit which again is ideal for me as it means i can chuck them in my backpack and not have to worry but its also small enough that it won't consume too much space.

My intended usage is general all round use for walking, hiking, travelling and even mountain biking. These little binoculars are going to be in my back pack every time i head out on the remote trails in Scotland which is why i wanted a small portable binocular.

I've tried at least in the shop almost all of the Swarovski binoculars including the 8x32, 10x32, 10x42, 10x50 etc and the 8x25 is very impressive. By far the most impressive for me is the 10x50 but its not fair to to compare the 8x25 to these as the difference in size, weight etc is quite substantial.

Last edited:
As an eye glass wearer and first time Swarovski owner here, I'll echo what has been said above. The 8X25CL is well built, sharp and bright and a joy to use. This pair has a permanent place in my every day carry kit.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back