• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

kyocera sl400r settings and sharpness (1 Viewer)

Deja-vu said:
I can't recommend the srb film (www.srbfilm.co.uk) digiscoping sleeve enough I've been using it for two years now, first with the 995 and now the Kyocera. In my opinion it is the best fit and build of them all and only cost me £35. I fit it to my Leica zoom but they will make them to fit on the end of any scope.

Mark

Thanks for the recommendation Mark - I have just got one of these - it arrived this morning. Took it out to Titchwell with me today to try it out. Very simple and quick to use, slide on and off very easily. This was the first time I'd digiscoped with an adaptor (been doing it handheld for a coulpe of years), now I know what I was missing. Makes the whole thing much easier, even got some reasonable shots with it today.

Here are two of todays photos - using a Leica APO62 with zoom, Kyocera SL400R, SRB digiscoping sleeve and 'Mark's magic cable release system'...

Attachments

• whimbrelkyo.jpg
    whimbrelkyo.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 119
  • redshankkyo.jpg
    redshankkyo.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 123
postcardcv said:
Thanks for the recommendation Mark - I have just got one of these - it arrived this morning. Took it out to Titchwell with me today to try it out. Very simple and quick to use, slide on and off very easily. This was the first time I'd digiscoped with an adaptor (been doing it handheld for a coulpe of years), now I know what I was missing. Makes the whole thing much easier, even got some reasonable shots with it today.
For anyone using the sl400 with a Swaro ATS/STS with 20-60 zoom eyepiece, it may be useful to know that a 75ml pot of VO5 Styling Wax, with a bit of modification sits nice and tight over this particular lens.

It is possible to offer the 'VO5 adapter' up to the camera and then fit the 28mm adapter inside, to the camera lens, sandwiching the pot between the two. It's a bit rough and ready but it works for me. :eat:

Andy.

Attachments

• VO5.jpg
    VO5.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 120
  • VO52.jpg
    VO52.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 112
  • GWEa.gif
    GWEa.gif
    200.3 KB · Views: 112
postcardcv said:
I also use a Kyocera sl400r with a Leica scope and have found something quite useful... the Opticron cradle mount is just the right size to fit snuggly in the Leica eyepeice. This makes it very easy to quickly line the camera up and take a shot hand held, it also blocks out all light and help to hold the camera steady.

Thanks for the advice - this is working quite well - eventually I will have to shell out on an Eagle Eye or possibly Spidertech adaptor but for now i am getting reasonable record shots (which is my aim) using the Opticron mount hand held to the zoom.

I would attach a sample but I can't get the "manage attachments" button to work!

Rob Smallwood said:
I would attach a sample but I can't get the "manage attachments" button to work!

I guess it's your wryneck picture on birdguides - if so the set up seems to be working very well handheld...

As and when you do decide to go for an adaptor give the SRB digiscoping sleeve serious consideration. It's small, light and very easy to put on (and take off) the scope, as the camera is so light it holds the weight very easily. At just £35 it's probably the cheapest of the options available.

That's mine - not bad for only my third trip out with the camera (mind you I did rattle off 310 pics of which only 15 or so were useable!).

A tip for Kyocera owners is to use the repeat frame mode and take lots of shots. D decent sized memory card helps.

PS - with the SRB can you still use the zoom or do you have to fix the zoom and secondly does the weight of trhe camera not try to turn the zoom clockwise?

Rob Smallwood said:
PS - with the SRB can you still use the zoom or do you have to fix the zoom and secondly does the weight of trhe camera not try to turn the zoom clockwise?

You cannot move the zoom with the camera attached, but removing the camera, zooming and putting it back on only takes a couple of seconds so it's not really a problem.
The weight of the camera does not turn the zoom, it holds in place without any problems.

I agree with using the continuous shooting mode on this camera, it massively increases the chance of getting a good shot. I have a 1gb card in mine and have yet to fill in in a day out, though I often find I've taken 400+ photos. I do find that the percentage of photos that I keep is much smaller with this camera than it was with the 4500. That said withte number fo shots I do take on a day out I probably still end up with more keepers than with the Nikon.

Bird shots taken with the Kyocera 400r

IanF said:
I'd be happy with any of those shots. All the detail is there on the Hobby and the exposure is spot on - it's just the distance and haze that's making it a little soft looking, same with the Owl.

Plenty of practice in the garden makes it second nature when you go out in the field. On the Wood Pigeon and Collared Dove shots especially, they show just how narrow the depth of field is. Fine focusing of the scope with the shutter half depressed may have brought the critical focus point to the head/eye rather than just in front. It's on the leaves to the right on the Wood Pigeon and the tip of the tail on the Collared Dove. It's static birds like these that really benefit from using a higher aperture to give more depth of field as shutter speed is less important.

Hi ian i took theese two shots with the kyocera 400r i like the camera and have now upgraded to the contax u4r which has a better lens and a larger lcd display apart from that the Kyocera was great,i cant knock it.

Attachments

• woody woodpecker.jpg
    woody woodpecker.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 125
  • the best.jpg
    the best.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 109
Rob Smallwood said:
What 'scope and adaptor(s) are you using?

Hi Rob Theese pictures were taken with the opticron ga ed 80 scope the adapter is one of opticrons own which can be purchased directly from opticron tel no01582726522 there are two eyepeices i can recomend using one is the 20 to 60 zoom hdf eyepeice the other is the new sdl zoom lens each comes with its own adapter which fits directly over the eyepeice.No vignetting with the adapters just great shots .If you are not using the cable release you can use the self timer i find it works very well for stationery birds.T he cable release can be purchased from pennine optics unfortunately i do not have the link for it.As for the settings i agree with ian on all.The Kyocera is a great little digiscoping camera.ive had no problems

regards

Hi,

I'm a convert already - I'm using a 400SL with Opticron mount but still hand holding to my Leica - pleased but will get better results once I splash out on a Eagle-eye or Spidetech.

Rob Smallwood said:
Hi,

I'm a convert already - I'm using a 400SL with Opticron mount but still hand holding to my Leica - pleased but will get better results once I splash out on a Eagle-eye or Spidetech.

hope you can find what you need Rob unfortunately i dont know much about the adapters for leica but eagle eye do an aluminum adapter for the u4r with a 28mm thread so im sure they do the same for the kyocera.Coincidentaly opticron have lots of kyocera cameras for sale mail order if any ones interested tel no 01582726522.

regards

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back