• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Magpie in OC? (1 Viewer)

Matt_RTH

South Orange County, CA. Today I spotted a pair of gorgeous black and white birds. Near as I can recall, they had a black upper body with white lower, starting at mid breast down. I recall a striking black on top of taile and white on bottom of tail. This seems to be out of range for Magpies. Any other possibilities? They definitely seemed out of place!

Thanks,
Matt

could have been yellow billed magpies instead of black billed. though the white on the underside of the tail is a bit odd. are you sure that was the case?

Matt & all:
You may have seen the exotic Black-throated Magpie-Jay. They are dark blue and white but from a distance they look black. They have a dark blue upper breast with a white lower breast and they have white under the tail. They are a widely kept bird by Mexican-American immigrants in California, from the pet trade in Tijuana and have become naturalized in Northern San Diego County. I do not know their status in Orange County.

Matt & all:
You may have seen the exotic Black-throated Magpie-Jay. They are dark blue and white but from a distance they look black. They have a dark blue upper breast with a white lower breast and they have white under the tail. They are a widely kept bird by Mexican-American immigrants in California, from the pet trade in Tijuana and have become naturalized in Northern San Diego County. I do not know their status in Orange County.
Would you happen to know where? I live in San Diego but have never heard of this population in the county.

There's a population right down near the border near Smugglers' Gulch and Border Field State Park. Don't know of one in North County.

The "San Diego County Bird Atlas" says that these birds have been seen in Jamul, Escandido, and Fallbrook. I guess naturalized is slightly too strong a word concerning North County. The main populations are in riparian woodlands in southwestern S.D.Co. Tijuana River valley, Goat Canyon, Smugglers Gulch, and in Bonita.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back