• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unusual bird visiting my garden - what is it??? (1 Viewer)

Just to play along also, suggest you contact your county bird recorder, birdclub or rspb group. Get them to check out your strange bird. Nutcracker is very rare although i suspect you already know this;). One was claimed in norfolk not long ago but was a starling as most claims of nutcracker are;)

Last edited:
Just to play along also, suggest you contact yourUccounty bird recorder, birdclub or rspb group. Get them to check out your strange bird. Nutcracker is very rare although i suspect you already know this;). One was claimed in norfolk not long ago but was a starling as most claims of nutcracker are;)
Sorry to dissapoint the doubters i had never head of a nutcracker til yesterday and the pictures in the old bird book i have makes it look more like a thrush. It also does not mention the tail bit which is what made us notice it and knew it was not a usual visitor to the garden. How would i get in touch with these people? I am in Suffolk Babergh District. Our window cleaner has seen it and he has worked on a farm since he was 13 now really old and he has never seen one before.
If i can get a photo you can all decide what it is.

Just to play along also, suggest you contact your county bird recorder, birdclub or rspb group. Get them to check out your strange bird. Nutcracker is very rare although i suspect you already know this;). One was claimed in norfolk not long ago but was a starling as most claims of nutcracker are;)
Its way too big for a starling unless its been on steroids. Will keep trying.

Hi extrareach. All can be found on the internet. If a nutcracker and i see it happy to donate a tenner to a charity of your choice;). There will be plenty of local birders happy to check out your strange bird.

my first thought was a brown feral pigeon with a few white tail feathers.
This means I could shoot it I have a 12 bore, then you could all id it, however i think this might meet with some disapproval especially if it turns out not to be!!!
I am gathering if it is a nutcracker fairly rare here so possibly illegal? lol.

Just looked over your Garden fence, Its a Juv NUTCRACKER, well done put it on Turdline.
Haa haa nowhere near Yarmouth so couldn't have done.
Gonna email the west suffolk chappie found his details perhaps he can find out what it is.
Lets hope for a sunny morning tomorrow might get a photo gonna camp out in the shed.

If anyone was going to purposely claim a Nutcracker (falsely) then I doubt (out of common sense) anyone who doesn't know much about them is going to go to the effort to describe a juvenile one.

I don't have any comments on the topic at hand, however.

"now the interesting bit, when walking about there is no other colour just dark brown but when it opens its tail to fly it has a white rectangle in the middle of the tail."

This white 'rectangle' is on the top of the tail yes?

If anyone was going to purposely claim a Nutcracker (falsely) then I doubt (out of common sense) anyone who doesn't know much about them is going to go to the effort to describe a juvenile one.

I don't have any comments on the topic at hand, however.

Unfortunately hoaxes are now not uncommon. Last years twitter released eyebrowed thrush resulted in a "Muppet Show" treasure hunt for fools gold;) At least the Fish and Chips in Hunstaton is of a reasonable standard;)

This years "Nutcracker Suite" has the same feel about it. Would be happy to be proved wrong and Nutcracker is long overdue and would make lots of birders very happy.

I am sure it will turn out to be a pile of poo but just incase the photo confirms it all of the patron saint of scientists mates better eat pie! Lol!
Any sensible suggestions? (regarding make of bird) other than the unbeliveable always welcomed.
Thanks

what was the length and colour of the bill? (sorry if you've already said and I've missed)

You also say it's pigeon sized but bigger that woodpecker. Would you say it's Wood Pigeon sized or bigger than Green Woodpecker?

Much bigger than green woodpecker, we have fat pigeons here near farm. About 10 - 12 inches tall beak brown / black. Hops about and swoops. Quite brave. Big fireworks do in village tonight hope it doesnt scare it way. Dont think it is a standard bird. Best way to describe brown jay but head a bit more bulbous / rounded. Thanks

I expect extrareach ( is that an anagram of xrarecheat ) is looking for photos of Nutcrackers on the web as we speak but knows how sharp some people are on here re camera forensics ( exifs, foreign plants in the background etc ) that they better be clued up.

I expect extrareach ( is that an anagram of xrarecheat ) is looking for photos of Nutcrackers on the web as we speak but knows how sharp some people are on here re camera forensics ( exifs, foreign plants in the background etc ) that they better be clued up.

careful with the accusations. A bit of cynicism is going to be natural, but just try to keep a lid on it.
We may know things you do not in terms of validity of the actual username.

It's typical that if one cannot id a bird, It must be rare. and Oh the jealousy that this man has seen it and as nobody else has he must be a hoaxer, Typical Birder behaviour :)

Much bigger than green woodpecker

Must admit I've never seen a Nutcracker, but according to Collins Field Guide Nutcracker and Green Woodpecker are similar in length?
I baint that far from you extrareach, PM me the location and I'll come and have a look tomorrow morning. I'll bring a camera.

dave...

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back