• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New bin, EL10x50SV (1 Viewer)

HN
If his hands are so tender that he can't bear the feel of the ridges on a Zeiss Victory FL, or for that matter the ridges on the classic Leica Trinovid BAs and BNs, I feel sorry for him because he is missing great viewing experiences.:t:

Bob

I took issue with your argument because it is the equivalent of saying that it's a shame that he doesn't like red, because you think red is such a nice colour, and that since other people like red, he ought to like red as well. I find that to be a really poor argument, regardless of whom it is addressed to ;)

I took issue with your argument because it is the equivalent of saying that it's a shame that he doesn't like red, because you think red is such a nice colour, and that since other people like red, he ought to like red as well. I find that to be a really poor argument, regardless of whom it is addressed to ;)

I like that argument, and I'll try to use it, one day, if you don't have a copyright.|:D|

Not a fan of any sort of thumb indent. However I'll wait and see I have a SV EL 10x50 on the way.

Congrats Steve! Sounds like you've made your decision! I have small hands & find that the ergonomics work better on the SV 10x50 with thumb indents than on the smaller-diameter Zeiss SF w/o the thumb indents.

Congrats Steve! Sounds like you've made your decision! I have small hands & find that the ergonomics work better on the SV 10x50 with thumb indents than on the smaller-diameter Zeiss SF w/o the thumb indents.

Dunno, I have worked so far through the SLC and two different SV EL. Going here because I thought the 50 SV was the class act of the SV line from the day I first saw the whole Swarovski line at our local show...so we'll see.

Working at keeping advanced notions from creeping in. Harder that I thought it might be.

I can really take or leave thumb indents. The SV are not to badly placed from what I recall.

Last edited:
...and what was wrong with that SLC and those ELs? :smoke:

HN

Nothing really. ;) However we are getting into a post I will be making in several weeks where I get into that and what I finally land on for an alpha and why I landed where I did. Also what stays and what goes,and why it stayed or why it went.

I just plan on doing this alpha thing once and I want to be sure I do it right for me. I may wind up going through some Zeiss and Leica too.

Nothing really. ;) However we are getting into a post I will be making in several weeks where I get into that and what I finally land on for an alpha and why I landed where I did. Also what stays and what goes,and why it stayed or why it went.

I just plan on doing this alpha thing once and I want to be sure I do it right for me. I may wind up going through some Zeiss and Leica too.

Should be and interesting read! :t:

Hmmm, just thinking out loud, SV10x50 optics packed in a Leica ultravid chassis, that would probably be bino heaven for me:king:

The Leica build quality is a class on it's own if you ask me. The feel of the focuser, the looks, color saturation, glare control.....
Of all the bins I have owned the Trinny felt the best mechanically. I kind of miss it.
When someone arrives at alpha level, he/she will notice there are still things left to be desired. Too bad the big brands aren't collaborating, that would bring something spectacular for sure:-O

But probably it's just me being too picky;)

When someone arrives at alpha level, he/she will notice there are still things left to be desired.

At any level there are things to be desired. Nothing human is perfect. A good binocular is kind of like one of your good friends. They aren't friends because they are perfect. ;)

Too bad the big brands aren't collaborating, that would bring something spectacular for sure:-O

GBS spotted the flaw in that argument long ago. :C
The manufacturers, based on recent comments, would more than likely produce binoculars combining Swaro focusers, Zeiss SF robustness and Leica transmission levels.

HN

I took his statement to mean exactly what he said: ". .... only the torturing sharp ridges on my FL binos is worse..just look at the photo..and you can feel the pain in your hands:" but I realize now that it is hyperbole.

One runs into lots of hyperbole in rational discussions about binoculars and this is a first rate example.

As for myself: No I can't "feel" the pain and I wonder how many people can?

And as for your analogy; I don't care whether he or anyone else likes red or not.

And as for the subject of discussion, the 10x50 Swaro you reported on I don't really care whether or not you like the large thumb indents on the 10x50 because we all have our preferences.

Bob

Last edited:
@SteveC, Nicely said:t:

The manufacturers, based on recent comments, would more than likely produce binoculars combining Swaro focusers, Zeiss SF robustness and Leica transmission levels.

@etudiant, In that case, I guess it's better to stick with what I have now and learn to live with the quirks;)

HN

And as for the subject of discussion, the 10x50 Swaro you reported on I don't really care whether or not you like the large thumb indents on the 10x50 because we all have our preferences.

Bob

Good! Looks like we agree regarding preferences then. ;)

...and Nikon warranty and customer service! ;)

I get "Page Not Found".

maybe it was published by mistake, a bit too early, it said it was from the august issue 2015, not in the shelves yet..I guess
the image is still left

http://www.birdwatch.co.uk/userfiles/reviews/SwarovskisELrangeofb_151312.jpg
for what I can see, its not the range finder,

but it's the same concept, straps and front lens covers, as seen in these photos on the RangeFinder model:

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/...ll-Size-Binoculars/prod999901360004/cat100736

Last edited:
As some of you will know from my other posts, I purchased a pair of Swarovski EL10X50 earlier this week. I did not go out to buy them, I thought that I would end up with the Zeiss Victory SF 10X42.

I spent a total of 2.5 hours in 2 visits comparing the SW EL 10X42 against EL 10X50 against the Zeiss Victory SF 10X42 at Lakeside Optics, which gave me the opportunity to compare them viewing across Chew Valley Lake, into a wood and at gulls both on the shore and in the air. There was no doubt that the SW EL 10X50 was considerably brighter than the SW EL 10X42. The Zeiss Victory SF 10X42 was somewhere between them. However it was the EL 10X50 that gave me the real wow and this was not a preconceived 'wow'; I was caught totally off guard by this.

Ergonomically, the Zeiss SF is better than the Swarovski in that the weight is further back and it focuses faster. However, given that I have never felt uncomfortable using any non-Zeiss SF binocular, in every day life the ergonomics are not a big issue.

My big concern was the durability of the Zeiss SF in the light of various posts that i have read in the web. In fairness Lakeside Optics told me that, although there were some quality issues with the first production batch of Zeiss SF, there have been no faults with more recent batches. Despite that, I had reservations. SUBJECTIVELY they do not feel as well built as the Swarovski EL and the brightness was not as good as the EL 10X50.

My concern was the weight:

SW EL 10X42 840gm/29.6oz
SW EL 10X50 998gm/35.2oz
SW EL 10X50 heavier than 10X42 by: 158gm/5.6ozs
SW EL 10X50 heavier than 10X42 by: 18.8%

Given that I know 2 ladies well who go birding with EL 10X42's and the fact that i am much stronger than either of them, I reckoned that the weight would not be an issue. This providing that you wear a binocular harness and so it has proven. I have already walked with them 10 miles through hilly country and carrying a backpack as well.

The view through the 10X50's is just incredible.

Rolstone

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back