• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

NEW Leica Ultravid HD+ 7x32 (1 Viewer)

Dialyt

The Definitive Binocular
This binocular would surely sell like hot cakes, so why doesn't Leica make one? Or even a 7x35.

Is it for technical reasons or the presumption that they wouldn't be popular?

I'm hoping Leica might look in on this thread if we can show strong support for the idea. ;)

PS Sorry for the thread title but I wanted to draw in as many folks as possible!

Last edited:
It seems 7x binoculars are not very popular, and do not sell.
As far as hotcakes, have them for breakfast !

I would not buy one, unless it was an older collectible model.

This subject has been hashed over on the forum before.

The last 7x42 alpha binoculars are from Leica and Nikon, and yes, the EDG is an Alpha.

I would not expect any more choices than this.

Jerry

I like it!!! And wish it were so... someone should be making a 7x32 (or there abouts) alpha.

Keep thinking this is the year I pick up the 7x42 UVHD + but the Swaro EL clearance has interfered with those plans.

Yes it has been hashed out before, but I don't mind revisiting.

Maybe those Maven guys will pick up on it!!!! They seem to be thinking outside the "let's do another 8x32, 10x32, 8x42, 10x42" box.

The Japanese manufactured swift eaglet 7x36 platform should be available.....

CG

This binocular would surely sell like hot cakes, so why doesn't Leica make one? Or even a 7x35.

They wouldn't sell. Simple as that. Or why do you think all the main manufacturers dropped 7x35 binoculars *years* ago?

Hermann

No company is going to make a binocular that has a tiny or limited market. If the market were still there Swarovski would have continued with their 7x32 Slc.

Even finding a dealer with a 7x42 to try is a real challenge these days. The Opticron 7x36 Bga Classic is very nice for anyone who wants a quality roof in this format.

I am addicted to my 7x42UVHD+ but very few buyers it seems agree.

The seven power binocular is an endangered species, I think only the 7x50 Porro will survive in marine use.

I like it!!! And wish it were so... someone should be making a 7x32 (or there abouts) alpha.

Keep thinking this is the year I pick up the 7x42 UVHD + but the Swaro EL clearance has interfered with those plans.

Yes it has been hashed out before, but I don't mind revisiting.

Maybe those Maven guys will pick up on it!!!! They seem to be thinking outside the "let's do another 8x32, 10x32, 8x42, 10x42" box.

The Japanese manufactured swift eaglet 7x36 platform should be available.....

CG

Maven just introduced a 7x45. I doubt if they will come up with a 7x32. Opticron has a 7x36 similar to the Eaglet.

Bob

I would buy a 7x32 UV in a heartbeat, but I think a 7x32 with such a large exit pupil might also steal some sales from the 42mm line, and no company wants that.

Misleading clickbait is uncool.
I feel bad now!
I would buy a 7x32 UV in a heartbeat, but I think a 7x32 with such a large exit pupil might also steal some sales from the 42mm line, and no company wants that.
This is the problem. It's a dream binocular which would appeal to real enthusiasts and Leica or any other of the big three won't touch it. That's a shame.

I'm hoping Leica might look in on this thread if we can show strong support for the idea. ;)

Sure! Coincidentally that is exactly how the Zeiss 20x60 mechanically stabilized bins came in to existence. One of Zeiss' chief engineers happened to be clicking around BF, ran in to a thread where eleven or twelve of us said we would buy one if they existed, and fifteen months later, there's the U.S. Secret Service with the things.

Gotta run, I'm getting a thread started on some Jane Goodall commemorative 6x20's. It'll be titled, "Leica releases new commemorative Ultravid 6x20 JG's" Peace!

I feel bad now!

Well you should. Getting people to enter a thread under false pretenses lacks integrity and civility on a forum that is generally straightforward.

Last edited:
Sure! Coincidentally that is exactly how the Zeiss 20x60 mechanically stabilized bins came in to existence. One of Zeiss' chief engineers happened to be clicking around BF, ran in to a thread where eleven or twelve of us said we would buy one if they existed, and fifteen months later, there's the U.S. Secret Service with the things.

Gotta run, I'm getting a thread started on some Jane Goodall commemorative 6x20's. It'll be titled, "Leica releases new commemorative Ultravid 6x20 JG's" Peace!

I know for a fact that Leica people do indeed look in on these forums.

"Build it, and they will come"! Or something like that.

A shifting demographic and a minimal sales effort (like getting them in the stores) could make the diff for a 7x32ish Alpha. As it was pointed out, there is nothing in the retail stores for a quality 7x ... I've been looking here for half a decade and have had no luck. So how you going to sell that? Not even the Opticron, which isn't an Alpha by the way. Just some crappy sub $100 porro stuff which doesn't help with anything... and doesn't sell, duh? Seems there is better chance to capture market share here than with another 8x32 in a field that is over saturated with 8x32's. What's up with that strategy? You all going out to buy the new Sig 8x??? And why does that little old 7x Swaro hold its value so well if no one wants one???

So I say "Build it, but don't keep it hidden from the public, and they will come"...

My .02,

CG

I talked to a Leica rep this weekend about this very subject, and I got the impression that 7x binocular lovers shouldn't hold their breath waiting for a 32mm model. So I ended up buying a7x42 UV HD Plus instead. Compact size, eyeglass friendly, and incredible images. I have no idea why 7x binoculars aren't the standard power, considering all the advantages over 8 and 10 power models, but all I had to do was use them for five minutes and I was sold.

"Build it, and they will come"! Or something like that.

A shifting demographic and a minimal sales effort (like getting them in the stores) could make the diff for a 7x32ish Alpha. As it was pointed out, there is nothing in the retail stores for a quality 7x ... I've been looking here for half a decade and have had no luck. So how you going to sell that? Not even the Opticron, which isn't an Alpha by the way. Just some crappy sub $100 porro stuff which doesn't help with anything... and doesn't sell, duh? Seems there is better chance to capture market share here than with another 8x32 in a field that is over saturated with 8x32's. What's up with that strategy? You all going out to buy the new Sig 8x??? And why does that little old 7x Swaro hold its value so well if no one wants one???

So I say "Build it, but don't keep it hidden from the public, and they will come"...

My .02,

CG
I agree entirely!

A 7x35 HD+ in the old Leitz style would be nice...
Or a 7x35 Habicht porro...
I've said before - retro is in with cameras, and I think it could work really well with binoculars. The latest technology with proven, classic designs.

I talked to a Leica rep this weekend about this very subject, and I got the impression that 7x binocular lovers shouldn't hold their breath waiting for a 32mm model. So I ended up buying a7x42 UV HD Plus instead. Compact size, eyeglass friendly, and incredible images. I have no idea why 7x binoculars aren't the standard power, considering all the advantages over 8 and 10 power models, but all I had to do was use them for five minutes and I was sold.
Did he explain why there would be no Leica Dream 7x32 HD+? (That could be the model name!)

I agree entirely!

Did he explain why there would be no Leica Dream 7x32 HD+? (That could be the model name!)

He said there's just not enough of a market for 7x binoculars, even though the 7x binos are his favorite, along with a lot of other serious birders. Maybe it's the vocabulary's fault - people think 8x and 10x are better because they have more "power".

He said there's just not enough of a market for 7x binoculars, even though the 7x binos are his favorite, along with a lot of other serious birders. Maybe it's the vocabulary's fault - people think 8x and 10x are better because they have more "power".

Exactly. But we who know binoculars, know better! ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back