• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7 year old 8.5x42 el’s ????? Just as good???? (1 Viewer)

Lee, post 14,
I think that you did forget to mention all experimental conditions during your research. Was that not the time that you swallowed just before the actual optical experiment a small glass of yellowish coloured liquid, causing a rolling sensation in your eyes and your brain??????
Gijs van Ginkel

You might just be right Gijs :-O
But I would need to repeat the experiment to be sure within 3 standard deviations.

Lee

For the small percentage that DO see it...is it debilitating? Can you live with it? It's a strange phenomenon that I've never experienced or seen so it's hard for be to get a grip on it.

Yes I can see it, but it has not bothered me yet. It's more visible when I'm looking for it. The trade off is a 100% sweet spot, which I will gladly take (and did ;)).

If you really want to see it, try panning vertically. It seems more pronounced that way.

We’ll it sounds like if I love the newer pros, I’m gonna love a 2010 model. While saving quite a few bucks. Thanks everybody who chimed in.

My three-year-old (or at least I have owned them for three years) EL SV still impress me every time I look through them. (It?)

Now if the voices in my head would stop telling me that if I just had a pair of Victory SF I would be able to see stuff better, I would be content.

Last edited:
Hi Henry....

I looked into the optical difference between the SV and FP earlier this year ....
To my eyes and to others, (some working for Swarovski,) the difference was noticeable....
The field pro seem to have a colour shift in the yellow, making them look brighter and sharper..

Cheers Tim

Ok. Here’s my first impressions. Excellent eye relief. I don’t wear glasses, but found my slc’s a little finicky on eye placement. Not these! Unbelievable depth of field. The fov, brightness, sharpness, all those seem top notch, but I don’t have another too compare. Only complaint is the focuser is a little sticky when fine tuning, going extremely slow. I think swaro can fix that? Rolling ball. I see it, but its not bothering me. Thats it. Fantastic binos. No big surprises.

Last edited:
Ok. Here’s my first impressions. Excellent eye relief. I don’t wear glasses, but found my slc’s a little finicky on eye placement. Not these! Unbelievable depth of field. The fov, brightness, sharpness, all those seem top notch, but I don’t have another too compare. Only complaint is the focuser is a little sticky when fine tuning, going extremely slow. I think swaro can fix that? Rolling ball. I see it, but its not bothering me. Thats it. Fantastic binos. No big surprises.

No surprises is usually a good thing! My 8X42 SLC HD could use come focus tweaking.... but nah....it good enough. Unless it quits focusing I'm not gonna send it in. Glad you like 'em!

My EL is 10 years old. Looks mint. Nothing wrong with it.

I sold a 8х42 Trinovid from the 90's which was optically excellent to get EL, which was not any more sharper, but brighter and had some other features.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back