• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandwell valley (1 Viewer)

Mr.Valley

Hi all, had cracking views of a male ring ouzel on my local patch today this is my 108th bird on my patch this year the overall year list for the valley is 116 so far we have a great year.

Hi My local patch ? . I don't know where to start, I started birding sandwell back in the seventy's. Then there where only half a dozen people watching the valley since then the valley has become the best place in the county (west mids) with maybe 50-60 birdy type people going threw there in one day.We are fortunate to have a wide variety of habitats in a relatively small area makeing it the perfect local patch.The valley list stands at about 240 depending on what you count!!.my valley list stands at 207 my personel list is about 220. we have had some good birds ie:- Spoonbill,Spotted crake,Dotterel,Pec sand,Great snipe,Caspian tern,Wryneck,Black headed wagtail,Siberian chiffchaff, Great grey shrike,Red backed shrike,Cettis warbler,Little egret+ many more. They call me Mr Valley because of the amount of time i have put in to the place over the years.

Mr. Valley,

Is it still only viewing screens at Sandwell. I've only been once (about a year ago when I first started out, thought I'd use my RSPB membership for once) and the hides that were, had been burnt down :-(

I'll have to give it another try now I know a couple more birds.

Hi Jeff,
Yes there is still only viewing screens we have not bothered to replace the hides as we still get vandalism from time to time.We have evening patrols during the school holidays to deter as much as we can this seems to work well.

Hi Mr Valley

I am one of your closer neighbours, living in Birmingham.

I have always found Sandwell Valley an uncanny place when you think that it stretches between an housing estate on one side and West Bromwich football club on the other. I must admit that the sheer vandalism that has gone on here has tended to put me off going back there too often.

It's good to see another member from the Midlands. We are getting quite well represented around here now.

BTW. Why don't you say hello to all of us in the Hello forum. That way you will introduce yourself to more members but, in advance of you doing so, may I take, on behalf of the entire forum Moderators, this opportunity to give you a warm welcome to this friendly forum. If there are any questions you feel like asking then please ask away as there are plenty of people in this forum only too willing to share their knowledge.

We have enough knowledge in this forum to cover virtually any subject on birding / photography plus many other subjects.

Take a good look at the gallery (if you haven't done so already) and you will be amazed at the quality of most of the images contained in there.

Finally, I speak for everyone I would think, when I say that we are looking forward to the many birding day out reports, similar to your Sandwell valley one, that you can put into the forum, plus any photos you can put into the gallery.

I hope you enjoy being a member of the fastest growing bird forum in the world.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back