• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ardnamurchan Eagles (1 Viewer)

Gallus said:
Ardnamurchan has one of the highest populations of Golden Eagles on the Scottish mainland with at least two of the nests within range of a scope from minor roads,White Tailed Sea Eagles now nest in the area with one nest site visible from a public road.Black Throated Divers nest on a local Loch with reasnoble access. Black Grouse can be found locally with a Lek site whithin 10 minutes walk from a public road. If any members plan to visit the Area please contact me I would be glad to assist with information on the area.

Hi Gallus

Am planning a trip to Ardnamurchan this April (late), would really appreciate the info in your post!

Regards

Nigel R

Gallus said:
Ardnamurchan has one of the highest populations of Golden Eagles on the Scottish mainland with at least two of the nests within range of a scope from minor roads,White Tailed Sea Eagles now nest in the area with one nest site visible from a public road.Black Throated Divers nest on a local Loch with reasnoble access. Black Grouse can be found locally with a Lek site whithin 10 minutes walk from a public road. If any members plan to visit the Area please contact me I would be glad to assist with information on the area.

New member to the birdforum, but I plan to visit this region in July this year.

Will be happy to get some tips for eagles & divers ;)

Thanks & Regards.

Pierre-Yves, Belgium

Hi Gallus,
I know the area quite well, having read up on the nearby area to the west of Fort William and last year I did two trips up there and found some eagles around the Loch Shiel general area. I also did a bit of walking around there but I will take you up on your offer of some local information when I next visit which I hope will be this summer when my house buying/sale is complete which as you can guess is a very busy time.

Gallus said:

Gallus,

I'd love that information please, I'll be visiting with my family in July/August and would love to be able to show the children eagles. I lived in Strontian in the early 80's when I was a younger man, but was not "into" birds at the time in a serious way, I know I must have missed soo much! Let me know where to go, thanks in advance.

Lee

Ardnamurchan

PierreYves said:
New member to the birdforum, but I plan to visit this region in July this year.

Will be happy to get some tips for eagles & divers ;)

Thanks & Regards.

Pierre-Yves, Belgium

Hi there,
Gallus is away for a week but I will pass on the message when he returns.

Hi Gallus,

I will be staying at Fascadale, Ardnamurchan for a week at the end of May. It would be really useful if you would supply with specifics about the eagles, divers et alia.

Regards

Mike

Hi Gallus,
I'd really appreciate the info. I live in Pitlochry and could possibly make a day trip. My map can't be much good as Ardnamurchan isn't listed, is it near Fort William? Obliged for your time
Chris Baker

Gallus said:

I would like to mention that it would be rather irresponsible to point out nest sites of schedule one rare breeding birds to anyone, even if they are visible from public roads. The Eagles can be viewed in flight quite easily in this area from good viewpoints.

JP

jpoyner said:
I would like to mention that it would be rather irresponsible to point out nest sites of schedule one rare breeding birds to anyone, even if they are visible from public roads. The Eagles can be viewed in flight quite easily in this area from good viewpoints.
JP

I agree, this is a highly sensitive area of the country.......and let's face it, eagles are far more impressive in flight than being a small brown speck on a rock in the distance.

mikebirdart said:
I agree, this is a highly sensitive area of the country.......and let's face it, eagles are far more impressive in flight than being a small brown speck on a rock in the distance.

I totally agree with Mike and JP, having just returned from and excellent week on Mull, Golden and White-tailed Eagle were fairly easy to see in flight with not much effort. Further freinds have just returned from the Ardnamurchan area and even though they are not birders they managed to see both birds without difficulty. If people want to be assured of seeing White-tailed Eagle then they should go to Mull and contact the local RSPB who run an excellent GUIDED view of White-tailed Eagle from a temporary hid.

Dave Tanner - Portmahomack

I totally agree with the last couple of posts. You do not need to get near these nest sites to view the birds. I have just come back from 4 days on Skye. The RSPB have a representative on hand at the Aros centre in Portree, he can point you in the right direction to see Sea Eagles or Golden Eagles very easily with little or no effort.Walk out the centre sit in the bay area and wait. Sea Eagles above your head in no time. They are also planning sea trips to view the nest site at a safe distance as interest is so great , though I was told this may not happen until next year.

I visited the Isle of Arran last September...to walk on the mountains.
We had brillant sights of Golden Eagles....in flight....what a wonderful sight.
They are truely masters of the air!
No need to be looking for nests...leave that to the experts in the areas to keep tabs on the population.

mikebirdart said:

Gallus has actually deleted this info from his post, but even one of the people who complained about that quoted him and the info is visible again.

Why don't you guys ALL delete this from your posts or ADMIN could do that!

joee1949 said:
Gallus has actually deleted this info from his post, but even one of the people who complained about that quoted him and the info is visible again.

Why don't you guys ALL delete this from your posts or ADMIN could do that!

There's nothing left which is actually naming Schedule One / Red Data breeding sites per se, and there is nothing wrong with saying Ardnamurchan is a great area for wildlife, including some great species, which a lot of folk would love to see, even if those species are more easily or readily seen elsewhere. It is all true. The point is that it has to be done in a responsible manner, with the safety and welfare of the birds themselves at the forefront of everybody's minds.

joee1949 said:
What about the posts of JPoyner, LeeRodgers, PierreYves, Nigel_R??? :h?:

Don't see anything in my post, if you are referring to "Ardnamurchan" then perhaps I should point out that this is a rather large peninsuala of Western Scotland so is certainly not a specific site by any means. It is a well know fact that all these birds frequent this region.

JP

mikebirdart said:
There's nothing left which is actually naming Schedule One / Red Data breeding sites per se, and there is nothing wrong with saying Ardnamurchan is a great area for wildlife, including some great species, which a lot of folk would love to see, even if those species are more easily or readily seen elsewhere. It is all true. The point is that it has to be done in a responsible manner, with the safety and welfare of the birds themselves at the forefront of everybody's minds.

Delete what? how about I say go to Scotland, see Eagles, Otters, Crossbills, Crested Tits, and Pine Martens....................but don't tell anyone!

Ardnamurchan is huge!

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back