• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK: South Wales: Tufted Duck or Scaup (1 Viewer)

Oggy

While out and about this morning at the lakes I managed to see several Tufted Ducks, but also one duck which I could not indentify for sure. The bird was very much smaller in size compared to a Mallard and had a distinctive white mark in front of the bill, and was totally different to the other Tufties around. Can someone please tell me if it is likely to be a Scaup or jsut another female Tuftie?

Attachments

• Duck1.jpg
    Duck1.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 138
  • Duck2.jpg
    Duck2.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 180
  • Duck3.jpg
    Duck3.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 164
  • Duck4.jpg
    Duck4.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 216
  • Duck5.JPG
    Duck5.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 174
Gives the size impression of a Tuftie, and there are a lot fem Tufties around with white above the bill!

I would also suggest that it is prob a wee bit early in the year for a Scaup, not imposable but unlikely.

can someone explain to me why everyone is so convinced this is a tuftie
rather than a scaup,iv never seen so much white on a tuftie before.

Tufted Duck, this one shows nothing about that "wild" and "evil" look, that Scaups do.

I know, thats not a way to ID..but !!!,, Scaups are wilder and more evil in the jizz-...

//Ben

Look at this EVIL Scaups.. such a LOOK !!!

I will NEVER forget the look of these Greater Scaups... thats another duck than Tufties...

//Ben

Attachments

• scaup.jpg
    scaup.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 140
I have looked at these photos on another forum and I feel it is a Scaup. I can't see any hint of a crest on this bird and I also feel that it looks a bulkier looking bird. Tufties I always think look a more compact bird.

BTW there are Scaup being reported at the moment.

John

It has quite a lot of white around the bill (although probably not too much for TD). The lack of tuft suggests this is a juvenile - the head seems quite square to me too, which is better for TD. Although it's harder to judge, the head seems quite dark brown for a Scaup, even in summer plumage. Also, I'm not sure female or juvenile Scaup would show such white undertail coverts as this normally. These can be hard, especially when figuring out juveniles or breeding plumage females, but I don't get a Scaup feel from this.

I think it is a Tufted duck ;

I do not remember seing Greater Scaup with white undertail coverts, whereas this occurs frequently in tufted duck. Also, it looks relatively smallbilled and darkbacked.

The white at the base of the bill is still in range for tufted duck

So Tufted duck for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back