• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Astroscope + DSLR = Gallery! (1 Viewer)

Some examples, Pentax K3 II with TS APO 80/480

Hi,

let me sharing some photos from the past years. All taken with TLAPO804.

Attachments

• IMGP1322.JPG
    IMGP1322.JPG
    277.6 KB · Views: 199
  • IMGP2450.JPG
    IMGP2450.JPG
    270.1 KB · Views: 247
  • IMGP4112.JPG
    IMGP4112.JPG
    244.5 KB · Views: 248
  • imgp9701.jpg
    imgp9701.jpg
    418.2 KB · Views: 202
  • IMGP7103a.JPG
    IMGP7103a.JPG
    434.9 KB · Views: 200
Thanks Tord.

... and some close-ups with TLAPO804 and a lot of spacers

Jörg

Attachments

• IMGP6956.JPG
    IMGP6956.JPG
    194.3 KB · Views: 203
  • IMGP7015.JPG
    IMGP7015.JPG
    339 KB · Views: 185
  • IMGP8035.JPG
    IMGP8035.JPG
    288.2 KB · Views: 184
  • IMGP7444.JPG
    IMGP7444.JPG
    327 KB · Views: 192
  • IMGP7548.JPG
    IMGP7548.JPG
    300.8 KB · Views: 182
Kestrels are great to photograph if you can get both the light AND the wind more or less behind you. They will just hang there begging for you to take their picture. ;)
I have been lucky a few times. Here is one from three years ago up in Tord's neck of the woods.
21861566928_fb57193173_o.jpg
Tord has also done quite well on them, and other raptors. They are certainly a LOT easier to get than LBJs in springtime!

Last edited:
Hi Jules,
thanks a lot for this comment

It's a kestrel (Lat. Falco sparverius), photographed in the botanical garden in Stuttgart-Hohenheim

Jörg

When I saw the photo, I thaught it was a Kestrel, but it is quite different from the one we have here, the American Kestrel. My photo is not as nice as Dan's but it shows the difference quite clearly.

Attachments

• 001-100916am184kf.jpg
    001-100916am184kf.jpg
    387.2 KB · Views: 210
Waddya mean?... Very nice! Lovely colors, detail, and I like the composition.
What did you take it with?

Do you really like the steel fence ? I don't. I don't like to show nature with non nature elements. Buildings, posts, fences, wires, feeders... Also, the tail is hidden.

Canon 50D, Canon 300mm + 1.4X, ISO 400, 1/250, f/8,0

I don't mind it SOOOO much because I see the picture a little differently. You are absolutely right about mixing nature with non natural elements, couldn't agree more. I just find it a nice picture for what it is, not one compared to an ideal situation.

I don't mind it SOOOO much because I see the picture a little differently. You are absolutely right about mixing nature with non natural elements, couldn't agree more. I just find it a nice picture for what it is, not one compared to an ideal situation.

You are nice Dan, thanks ! You are right, the photo clearly shows the details of the bird. If I see it that way, it does the job and it is a nice picture... but it will never win a contest.

Fact is, the fence IS there and the Kestrel DID land on it, so it is in the end a picture of the bird in its environment. I don't know, something about it, the colors, the textures, the composition, the contrast between the galvanized steel and the feathers.... I just like it.
I can't believe the sun peeked through the thin clouds yesterday. What a joy to have a little light to play with!
33407938302_d8630b535f_h.jpg

32721335564_29661c298c_h.jpg

Can't say as I like the neighbor's maroon van in the background, though.;)

Fact is, the fence IS there and the Kestrel DID land on it, so it is in the end a picture of the bird in its environment. I don't know, something about it, the colors, the textures, the composition, the contrast between the galvanized steel and the feathers.... I just like it.
I can't believe the sun peeked through the thin clouds yesterday. What a joy to have a little light to play with!
View attachment 619333

View attachment 619334

Nice birds ! I don't mind the bg color, I like rasberries !

View attachment 619333

View attachment 619334

Nice. No way to tell it is a vehicle in the background, could have been a wall. Are these with the scope?

Mark II with 400/5.6, resting my hand on the window sill. The window of my workshop overlooks the neighbors apple tree. If I darken the inside by closing the shutters etc, it is a great hide! These guys were only about 5-6 meters away.
Meant to put them in the mFT thread...
;)

Last edited:
I have discovered that my scope has lost its collimation.:-C
scope + _g4_ap37.jpg scope + _g4_ap55.jpg
Notice that the rings are no longer symmetrical and are fuzzy at the bottom. It results is shots like this of PolarisA-Ab
EM128364.jpg
It is still sort of sharp, but not really and I have to do the collimation. Tricky job! This is what my new 400/5.6 can do. The spikes are caused by diffraction on the iris stopped down to f/6.3:
EM128009-4_resize.jpg
Got this while I was using Jupiter to pre-focus. At least it can still show the half moons.
EM128382-2.jpg
Hope I can get it back to where it was. All the adjustment screws in the lens block were loose. Shouldn't have happened!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back