• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Early Migration From Gibraltar (1 Viewer)

Bird-Nerds

I'm in doubt about a bird I spotted a week ago at Jew's Gate in Gibraltar (up the Rock). Can you please help to ID it?

Is it a Black Kite or a Red Kite?

Attachments

• Black-Kite4.jpg
    Black-Kite4.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 203
Black Kite for me as well. There are some early migrants knocking about further north. We've had a couple of reports of Whimbrel on the Wirral over the last week.

Chris

Well worth keeping an eye on Gibraltar birds site which keeps a record of what is coming through and the wind conditions. Also a summary of when Raptors and soaring migrants came through for previous Springs and Autumns. www.gonhs.org/records.htm worth a look. Ray

I'll second that with enthusiasm. GONHS deserve unstinting support, as do their SEO colleagues in nearby Spain, for the effort put in to monitor migration. It may still be possible to stay at the Jews Gate observatory - if so, you have to book through GONHS.
MJB

I'll second that with enthusiasm. GONHS deserve unstinting support, as do their SEO colleagues in nearby Spain, for the effort put in to monitor migration. It may still be possible to stay at the Jews Gate observatory - if so, you have to book through GONHS.
MJB

GONHS and SEO deserve all the support they get but lets just hope that the guys monitoring migration show some empathy towards visiting birders. I've been on many a raptor migration watch throughout the middle east and always helped birdwatchers with info. Many of my friends have asked european raptor counters in their quiet times for info only to be met with rudeness and disdain.

Lets hope that the spring and autumn counters can show some some understanding this year.

John.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back